Got stopped by some EMS guy wanting to inspect my Rig

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I don't have anything to hide, I've let them search my truck before. Not that big of a deal since it's generally clean so it's not like there's a ton of stuff for them to throw around.
This. However I have never been asked by an officer to let them search.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Keep that thought in mind the next time you're coming home from a date and a cop at a DUI checkpoint, or a cop who stops you for speeding, asks if you mind if he take a quick look through your car. Don't say no - the more you fight against it the more it makes it seem like you're hiding something and the harder it's going to be on yourself and your date. ;)

Seriously the worst advice I've ever heard.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you say no it just prolongs the process. Usually involves a drug dog and/or waiting on the side of the road forever for them to apply for a warrant.

It's pretty rare they're gonna try and search unless you give them a reason.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Not sure what the rules are where you guys are, but where I am we are subject to inspection any place any time regardless of how we feel about it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Keep that thought in mind the next time you're coming home from a date and a cop at a DUI checkpoint, or a cop who stops you for speeding, asks if you mind if he take a quick look through your car. Don't say no - the more you fight against it the more it makes it seem like you're hiding something and the harder it's going to be on yourself and your date. ;)
There's a big difference between allowing an inspection of your employee's vehicle that your required to comply with by virtue of being licensed to practice EMS AND that company being licensed to provide EMS, and a warrantless search of your private property.

Also, right, wrong, or indifferent, the suspicionless detention for DUI checkpoints is legal.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was pulled over by a trooper doing a "mobile DUI checkpoint." He informed me after a cursory sobriety test that I was no longer a "DUI Suspect" and then asked me if he could "have a looksie in your vehicle." I told him absolutely not, and that was the end of that. If you've done nothing wrong, there is no reason to consent to a search.

Which is entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. If your ambulances are licensed by someone, it seems fair that they would also be able to inspect them at will.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I was pulled over by a trooper doing a "mobile DUI checkpoint." He informed me after a cursory sobriety test that I was no longer a "DUI Suspect" and then asked me if he could "have a looksie in your vehicle." I told him absolutely not, and that was the end of that. If you've done nothing wrong, there is no reason to consent to a search.

Which is entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. If your ambulances are licensed by someone, it seems fair that they would also be able to inspect them at will.

If I had been pulled over by a "mobile DUI checkpoint" I would have told him to stuff it. The SCOTUS has laid out very specific requirements for checkpoints, including mandating advertising them and allowing a turnoff point prior to entering the checkpoint. Cops can go fish in some other pond, especially now that they have cops shooting at innocent people because they went back to their car to get their ID... after being told to go get their ID.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
If I had been pulled over by a "mobile DUI checkpoint" I would have told him to stuff it. The SCOTUS has laid out very specific requirements for checkpoints, including mandating advertising them and allowing a turnoff point prior to entering the checkpoint. Cops can go fish in some other pond, especially now that they have cops shooting at innocent people because they went back to their car to get their ID... after being told to go get their ID.

At least that one got fired and is being charged with a felony.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Exactly. Voluntarily forfeiting your right to remain silent and/or refuse search is never in your best interest.

A state or county EMS inspector though, is an entirely different thing. For one, they aren't going to shoot you and are unlikely to plant evidence, and also, submitting to their inspection at any point is probably a condition of your employer's license to operate, and possibly a condition of your license to practice.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was only advised of this after I was "let go." I was originally stopped for 32 in a 30...

JPINFV

Gadfly
I was only advised of this after I was "let go." I was originally stopped for 32 in a 30...
Oh, well, in that case it's a "good" stop by a saturation patrol (I'm not a fan of pretense stop, but I won't argue that they aren't illegal).

OP
OP
fatkid

fatkid

New, but gettin the hang of EMS
OK, sorry it took so long, but I forgot to provide an update. Well as you know I was stopped a couple months ago by someone who actually was who he had claimed, LA County EMS. He looked through our rig and gave us a ticket for not having items on his list. I was really nervous because he said we could not use the rig any longer.

When We got back to HQ my manager was waiting. I was sooooooo nervous:(. I began telling him what happened and he stopped me and told me not to worry about a thing and that this they just do this type of thing to flex their muscles. THen I showed him the ticket they gave me and my manager laughed out loud. OK, totally confused here. He assured me nothing would come of it.

Few months latter he brought me in his office, I totally forgot about the incident and thought I was in trouble for something. He read me a letter saying that the entire rig inspection and ticket was a warning. I don't know what my manager did, but the alleged trouble we were in was all a show. Oh and yes, you all were right about the guy who I thought was bogus, he was actually the real deal but only handing out tickets that are worthless.

Thank everyone for the replies and input :p

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
OK, sorry it took so long, but I forgot to provide an update. Well as you know I was stopped a couple months ago by someone who actually was who he had claimed, LA County EMS. He looked through our rig and gave us a ticket for not having items on his list. I was really nervous because he said we could not use the rig any longer.

When We got back to HQ my manager was waiting. I was sooooooo nervous:(. I began telling him what happened and he stopped me and told me not to worry about a thing and that this they just do this type of thing to flex their muscles. THen I showed him the ticket they gave me and my manager laughed out loud. OK, totally confused here. He assured me nothing would come of it.

Few months latter he brought me in his office, I totally forgot about the incident and thought I was in trouble for something. He read me a letter saying that the entire rig inspection and ticket was a warning. I don't know what my manager did, but the alleged trouble we were in was all a show. Oh and yes, you all were right about the guy who I thought was bogus, he was actually the real deal but only handing out tickets that are worthless.

Thank everyone for the replies and input [emoji14]
Who do you work for?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Are you sure that ID wasn't his food handler's card? :rolleyes: lol

What's the point of worthless "tickets?"

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Thank everyone for the replies and input :p
Something to remember is that the EMS compliance folks can inspect your ambulance to be sure that you have all the required minimum supplies and that all your certs are up to date. If the ambulance is out of compliance, then they'll go after your company. If they find that too many of the company's vehicles are out of compliance, then they can go so far as to pull the company's authorization to work in that county. I've never seen that happen, but it's possible. Most companies aren't going to risk that...

I've seen on the spot inspections by compliance done at hospitals where the compliance officer would check every ambulance that showed up there over a 2-3 hour period... some ambulances got dinged, none were pulled out of service, just told to restock.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Something to remember is that the EMS compliance folks can inspect your ambulance to be sure that you have all the required minimum supplies and that all your certs are up to date. If the ambulance is out of compliance, then they'll go after your company. If they find that too many of the company's vehicles are out of compliance, then they can go so far as to pull the company's authorization to work in that county. I've never seen that happen, but it's possible. Most companies aren't going to risk that...

Google rural metro contra Costa and you'll see it