Got stopped by some EMS guy wanting to inspect my Rig

fatkid

New, but gettin the hang of EMS
OK! Totally got stopped by some guy, (who thought he was all that) that worked for LACo EMS. Wanted to check my Certs and my Rig like he was the Cops or something. Really???? I know I only work for an IFT company (which will remain nameless) but we need to concentrate on bigger things than giving into this guys ego trip.

He looked like a wannabe Cop reject. Finding nothing wrong (obviously :eek:) he hands me his card and tells me to tell my Supv.

Is this legit?????? Anyone else run into this guy in LA County.

BTW, he is with LA County and not LADOT.

OP
OP
fatkid

fatkid

He had a County ID, but it said Department of Health Services not EMS!!!! My Sup said he would look into it but did not get back to me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Can be legitimate. We will have county guys do random inspections of our rigs and certs. If we don't have all the required certs we are to contact our supervisor immediately and we are sent home for the day.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sounds like a state inspection. Considering they can hand out fines, you may want to comply- ego or not.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
It's legit. Guy has the proper authority of law enforcement. They are trying to crack the whip. Curious to what company your with. Is it Glendale/Burbank based?

OP
OP
fatkid

fatkid

Glendale, why whats up????? I am new and have only been on the job about a year.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Glendale, why whats up????? I am new and have only been on the job about a year.
Glendale/Burbank companys tend to have really bad reputations with the ems community, law enforcement, dhs and the dot. They are trying hard to clean house ill put it at that.

drl

Forum Lieutenant
At least in SCCo, we do have county duty chiefs who will come and do random spot checks to make sure you have all your certs, the ambulance permits are all up to date, you have the required number of BVMs on board, etc, etc. Fairly sure this is legit.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
At least in SCCo, we do have county duty chiefs who will come and do random spot checks to make sure you have all your certs, the ambulance permits are all up to date, you have the required number of BVMs on board, etc, etc. Fairly sure this is legit.
The same thing here. If in LA you will most likely get stopped by a dot officer who will do the exact same thing. If in the county it's most likely a DHS officer.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
It's legit. County, LADOT, and CHP can ask for your certs and rummage through the rig. A company got caught in LA City with a unlicensed crew and rig by DOT. EMTs recieved some cites, company got a wicked fine, and the city towed the rig.

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
Wow that is amazing. Here in Iowa we have just a small handful of people working in our EMS bureau. That type of inspection doesn't happen here. Heck they check your certification dates that's hardcore. I am blown away by the thought of it.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow that is amazing. Here in Iowa we have just a small handful of people working in our EMS bureau. That type of inspection doesn't happen here. Heck they check your certification dates that's hardcore. I am blown away by the thought of it.
And when they go through your truck do they go through it!
They (dhs, dot) in the past had a big problem with the Russian/Armenian mob basically starting these transport companys and one for example was busted for trafficking ecstasy. The owner is now a puppet master and somebody else runs it for him.

JPINFV

Gadfly
He had a County ID, but it said Department of Health Services not EMS!!!! My Sup said he would look into it but did not get back to me.

Want to take a guess which LACo department EMS falls under? I bet you won't need many guesses too...

Do people seriously not know which agency their license is issued from?

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Want to take a guess which LACo department EMS falls under? I bet you won't need many guesses too...

Do people seriously not know which agency their license is issued from?
I thought it was chp or the super friends of ems los angeles division?