Good ways to kill patients

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
There are ambulance companies in Southern California that use shoulder straps?

At my old company a small handful had the shoulder straps, but most didn't. None of the gurneys at my current company have more than two seatbelts on them. :-/

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
At my old company a small handful had the shoulder straps, but most didn't. None of the gurneys at my current company have more than two seatbelts on them. :-/

Really? I write up my crews if they don't use shoulder harnesses and I catch them

JPINFV

Gadfly

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It's really hard to use something that's not there.

Just meant that as a wtf especially when It comes to risk management advisors for the evil empire. We are told they are a company wide mandate

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don't know if it's illegal... However, it's certainly negligent to not use the manufacturer supplied safety equipment. And I've not seen one fire company use them here, even though most stretchers have those straps tucked behind the mattress.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't know if it's illegal... However, it's certainly negligent to not use the manufacturer supplied safety equipment. And I've not seen one fire company use them here, even though most stretchers have those straps tucked behind the mattress.

From a provider level, I think that's worse. It's one thing to say, "Shoulder straps? What shoulder straps?" and a completely different thing to be able to say, "Oh, -those- shoulder straps."

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
From a provider level, I think that's worse. It's one thing to say, "Shoulder straps? What shoulder straps?" and a completely different thing to be able to say, "Oh, -those- shoulder straps."

I fully agree. And when see them on a stretcher and they're not used, I mention it. If they don't put them on (which they never do) I document it.

It's scant protection, but it's not my ambulance, as we're frequently reminded.

However, we're drifting off topic here.

Last edited by a moderator:

CFal

Forum Captain
In RI if you get caught by state not using them than it is a warning, 2 warnings and you get your ALS license suspended. If it keeps happening you get your transport license revoked.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Really? I write up my crews if they don't use shoulder harnesses and I catch them

Same thing here, the only time they are "acceptable" (not allowed, but will be glanced over) is when transferring the patient to the unit on the gurney. And the only time we do that is if we will be getting a 12 lead once we're in the back, otherwise, they all go on. If we have a backboard, they get fed through the top holes in the board as well. All of our gurneys have them, and if they aren't working, it is an acceptable reason to place yourself OOS to get them swapped.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Failing to maintain a high level of skill with a BVM - as well as an eagerness to use it - will put every one of your airway patients at serious risk.

This and if you intubate not catching a esophageal tube, which with the addition of ETCO2 is inexcusable.

Also if you practice RSI or interfacility transfers, intubating a patient who is profoundly acidotic and placing them on vent without matching minute volumes, such as a metabolic/DKA patient.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Forgetting the basics, which makes you complacent

I met alot of Paramedics who forget they were EMTs and still are EMTs

I'm sure by now you have airway management, Medications indications and appropriate dosages. ACLS algorithms beaten into your head.

1. Remember the basics, who cares if can start every IV successfully, get all your tubes and can identify any rhythm if you cant assess your patient and get a general impression your skills are useless.

2. Use aseptic technique, when initiating IV therapy, using medications IM or Sub Q, I seen medics do this all the time. We use IV start kits that have chloroform in them never seems to get used.

3. back to assessments, every time you do an intervention, check to see if your making improvement, You apply oxygen reassess, Use a medication reassess, Tube a patient verify placement. reassess.

4. Safety in driving, more EMS employees are probably killed driving to a call, than patients are killed every year.

5. When in doubt,, Call medical Command. the doc on the other end can be helpful when your stuck or have a hunch

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
2. Use aseptic technique, when initiating IV therapy, using medications IM or Sub Q, I seen medics do this all the time. We use IV start kits that have chloroform in them never seems to get used.

I'll take all the unused chloroform y'all have! Now, if they were, however, chloropreps instead, I'm not as interested

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll take all the unused chloroform y'all have! Now, if they were, however, chloropreps instead, I'm not as interested

LOL.. yeah I just caught that, its been a long day, I need to learn to proof read before posting <_<

OTOH if you really want chloroform, you can make it with household cleaning items.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anonymous

Forum Captain
I know this is off topic but +1 for never seeing shoulder harnesses in my life. Sure as heck would make the backboard sliding all over the place much easier to deal with.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

What are you planning on doing with the unused chloroform? "Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?" is not a very popular pick up line with the ladies...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What are you planning on doing with the unused chloroform? "Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?" is not a very popular pick up line with the ladies...

Absolutely nothing... *innocent look*