Gerber Ambulance Contract (Torrance, CA)

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
From what I have been hearing out in the field McCormick will be taking over the TFD contract.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
I asked you a question: Will TFD be renewing your contract, or is it unknown at this time because it's going up for bid?

Additionally, it would be nice to know who you are or what you do at Gerber...

I am going to guess he is either a manager or an owner.

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
Why do you guys care about who is the best Ambulance company who would get 911 calls contract if your pay check will be the same. It does not make any sense.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's about the treatment of the employees as well. Thats part of the argument here.

And 99% of the time a company with a 911 contract will pay better and wont be shady to the employees. At least what I have noticed when asking about wages in interviews and talking to people working around the industry.

OP
OP
ManEatingCheese

ManEatingCheese

Forum Probie
Why do you guys care about who is the best Ambulance company who would get 911 calls contract if your pay check will be the same. It does not make any sense.

Generally 5 ambulances are staffed during the day for Torrance and 4 at night. (Sometimes one or two more.) That's two EMTs per ambulance, and a SMT shift and a WRF shift. So you're talking 36 jobs right there. Not a ton of jobs, but it's still significant...

mike1390

Forum Captain
I can bet that the next ambulance company to get the contract will be on 24hr shifts or be on the torrance fd 48/96 because thats how your emts build up a good reputation, when your always running with the same guys they are more inclined to not treat you like ****. Atleast thats what I hear Torrance wants out of there ambulance contract.

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
I applied in Gerber Ambulance and they are offering me $9 to be an attendant and $10 for being a driver and they do 911 calls. I declined there offer because the pay is too low, and plus they do a lot of work under pressure. They charged people $500-$1000 per trip and all I get is $10 on that.

Death_By_Sexy

Forum Crew Member
I applied in Gerber Ambulance and they are offering me $9 to be an attendant and $10 for being a driver and they do 911 calls. I declined there offer because the pay is too low, and plus they do a lot of work under pressure. They charged people $500-$1000 per trip and all I get is $10 on that.

Welcome to being an EMT, if $9-10/hr is too low, you're either in the wrong job or wrong location.

And "work under pressure"? What do you think EMS is? There is no such thing as a controlled environment, pressure can be an everyday occurance.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome to being an EMT, if $9-10/hr is too low, you're either in the wrong job or wrong location.

And "work under pressure"? What do you think EMS is? There is no such thing as a controlled environment, pressure can be an everyday occurance.

He/she probably wants $15-20 or more.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
He/she probably wants $15-20 or more.

Then he should look at being a paramedic a couple places will pay in that range. But with the attitude the poster showed on here probably wouldn't be a good medic or EMT for that matter.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Then he should look at being a paramedic a couple places will pay in that range. But with the attitude the poster showed on here probably wouldn't be a good medic or EMT for that matter.

That person is not willing to get the experience need to be paid that type of salary. Basically it sounds like the company is making so much money so they should share it with me.

Rev.IKON

Forum Crew Member
That person is not willing to get the experience need to be paid that type of salary. Basically it sounds like the company is making so much money so they should share it with me.

Reminds me when I heard cna cry about how they should be paid what lvn's get paid what lvn's get paid. Then lvn's wanting the rn's salary. Yes share the money since they took the gamble in starting a company, coverig fuel, insurance, people to double check to make sure they are within the law . Blah blah blah.

Disregard off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
The City Council keeps pushing the vote back; the contract supposedly isn't up till end of October anyways... it looks like the city is going to stick with Gerber with concessions- like 24hr rigs for TFD and CAD(GASP) or Rigs that are assigned to TFD's CAD... just what I heard...

Rescue 2

Forum Ride Along
Gerber has lost the Santa Monica city contract. City council is voting for a 3 year term with Americare starting in August 2011.

They still have the Torrance contract. It has been extended until September 30 so they can rewrite the contract. Still no official word on who it will be going to. Top runners are still McCormick and Gerber.

You can look up the contract information up on the cities website under council minutes and agendas.

mike1390

Forum Captain
Gerber has lost the Santa Monica city contract. City council is voting for a 3 year term with Americare starting in August 2011.

They still have the Torrance contract. It has been extended until September 30 so they can rewrite the contract. Still no official word on who it will be going to. Top runners are still McCormick and Gerber.

You can look up the contract information up on the cities website under council minutes and agendas.

Dont know where your getting your facts.

http://www01.smgov.net/cityclerk/council/agendas/2011/20110614/s2011061403-W.htm

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader