Gerber Ambulance Contract (Torrance, CA)

ManEatingCheese

Forum Probie
Note that if your information is 'insider' information you should consider not posting it, especially if you can get in trouble for it. If your information is from attending a Torrance city council meeting or similar, please share. Do not take any information in this post to be factual.

I'm hearing rumors that Gerber Ambulance in Torrance, CA is at risk of losing their contract to provide ambulance transportation for Torrance Fire Department's patients.

I've also heard rumor that a few ambulance companies are being considered to replace Gerber, including Americare and McCormick.

I cannot claim that any of this is true, and am a little skeptical because Gerber and TFD have been working together for a while. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this. If you can confirm this, do you know who will be taking over the Torrance contract, when they will be taking over, and where I can find more information?

For those of you who are wondering why I'm interested: I am looking for employment in the area and would like to jump on board if a company will be hiring personnel to cover the Torrance contract.

Thanks.

terrible one

Always wandering
The general consensus is that Gerber is a horrible place to work. The same goes for those transporting for Torrance FD. By that I mean Torrance Fire will not let a private company enter until TFD is on-scene and says it is OK, even if the ambulance is there first. I've also heard TFD does not treat their BLS counterparts well either.

So I would recommend staying out that area. Also be aware that the way the market is few prospective EMTs have the luxury of picking where they want to work in SoCal.

mike1390

Forum Captain
Yes this is true many different companies have submitted bids for torrance, McCormick, Gentle ride, Amaricare, Ambuserve, and maybe a couple more. I dont think the contract expires until the end of this month. But yes they will lose it Torrance fire is sick of Gerber. Lets just put it this way other companies have already started hiring more people in preparation of winning the contract.

OP
OP
ManEatingCheese

ManEatingCheese

Forum Probie
I totally do not see Ambuswerve getting the contract... McCormick would be who I would imagine would get it, but their website still states "Not Hiring EMTs". Do you know what "other companies" have started hiring in preparation? I know that I had an interview moved up by a week to this Thursday. I was told that if they liked me I'd be starting almost immediately. Was I correct in taking that to mean something?

Death_By_Sexy

Forum Crew Member
EMS in socal is funny, the gossiping that goes around reminds me of High school.

That being said, I've heard for a long time too that TFD was looking to dump Gerber. I heard the same about Santa Monica Fire wanting to dump them as well. Makes sense that McCormick would take their area, they already have most of the surrounding area.

OP
OP
ManEatingCheese

ManEatingCheese

Forum Probie
And you want to go back?!?!? Haha

Well I'm not going back to Gerbil; I'm interested in surrounding companies. If you're referring to Torrance, then yeah; I ran in that city for a long time so it'd be nice to be back there. Torrance wasn't bad once the FFs start to recognize you. I mean, there were a few who were jerks, but the majority of them were reasonable once you knew what you were doing. One of them called me "brother" once... that was awkward... although TFD had just vented a roof on scene, so maybe he was in a good mood.

Gerbil has a quick turn around for EMTs, so most never learn how to be a good EMT before they quit or are fired. That might have something to do with why TFD doesn't like the Gerbils. <_<

Rumor I hear is they were asking for a rediculous amount of mods.

Are you referring to the fact that their fleet is composed entirely of mods?
They bought five Crestlines for Torrance about 24 months ago... and I think three more for Santa Monica approximately 13 months ago... but... they're really buying more ambulances? I don't see Gerbil buying more mods when the Torrance contract is up for bid again.

This thread apparently has derailed and is now about Gerber in general. Awesome... :glare:

No_Reservations

Forum Ride Along
OK, Cheese Eater and other Cancers of our Industry

Yes Gerber Ambulance has a good turnover of employees. It’s because we do not take any crap from screw-ups who do not take their job seriously. Gerber Ambulance takes our responsibility to the public, and those that we are contracted with, very seriously. Therefore disgruntled ex-employees are a dime a dozen. When it comes to helping save lives and helping those going through the worst times of their life, no excuses are given and no excuses accepted. Rest assured, mistakes and laissez-faire attitudes have no room in our company.

Moreover, the reason for a healthy turnover of employees at Gerber is that we only keep in our employ, serious, professional, and career minded individuals. Our employees are the best trained and most highly sought after by fire departments and hospitals. Furthermore, many are in the process of becoming doctors, nurses, police, etc. Because of this, their tenure unusually is no longer than two years. We are only a stepping stone for those professionals that want to move on to a great paying career. Again, only the serious need apply…

It is too bad that the rest of the ambulance industry does not hold themselves and their employees to the same high standard. There are way too many crap companies ruining the reputation of our industry and way too many bottom feeders lowering the acceptable standard within the ambulance industry and the much wider healthcare community.

Shame on them and shame on you for spreading rumors that are unfounded, unwarranted, and are obviously the rantings of one that could not hack it with a real company.

OP
OP
ManEatingCheese

ManEatingCheese

Forum Probie
To be fair, I remember my time at Gerber fondly. I had hoped that I had included enough disclaimers to make it obvious that I am uncertain of the information; my intention was not to convince people that your contract was in danger, but to see if other companies in the area were hiring. I apologize for the bad press. In retrospect I should not have inquired in public.
From whoever stated that you were buying more mods, I'm actually starting to think that the rumors of your contract being in danger actually are[\b] unfounded, and I hope you don't lose the contract because I don't want to see that many EMTs out of work. How about you clear it up for me: will TFD be renewing your contract?
Also, I do not appreciate being called "someone who couldn't hack it."

mike1390

Forum Captain
It is too bad that the rest of the ambulance industry does not hold themselves and their employees to the same high standard. There are way too many crap companies ruining the reputation of our industry and way too many bottom feeders lowering the acceptable standard within the ambulance industry and the much wider healthcare community.

Shame on them and shame on you for spreading rumors that are unfounded, unwarranted, and are obviously the rantings of one that could not hack it with a real company.

Mark my words Gerber will lose this contract, Torrance Fire has already come to inspect other companies and are very impressed with how the are much different than Gerber. Every time I run into a current Gerber employee I'm told how much they hate it, they say management treats them like crap, They post all day because the owner refuses to get stations to make his crews comfortable (maybe thats why they have a high turnover cause the grass is greener). Its not just past employees, its current employees, and its Torrance Fire who isn't happy. I worked for gerber for 2 weeks and left because it was full of lies, I was told I would be able to do everything in santa monica(lie) I was told they have a great relationship with Fire(lie) code 2 responses, staging for fire, it was the epitome of what a gurney pusher is. Go to any other company with a county contract who takes care of its employees and you'll see its a whole other world, fire actually treats you like one of them (because they see you every shift due to working 24's). You actually get some hands on experience. As far as not "hacking it with a real company" If you mean running IFTs all day? then ya. If you mean having to post for 12hrs a day cause the owner dosnt give a ****? then ya, guess I couldnt "hack it with a real company".

Just one mans opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

No_Reservations

Forum Ride Along
Wow Mike, just wow...

Thank you for teaching us so much about the ambulance industry and Gerber. Maybe if I had been there for a whole two weeks I would be as knowlegable as yourself. You are only proving my point. You may expound if you wish :rofl:

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Thank you for teaching us so much about the ambulance industry and Gerber. Maybe if I had been there for a whole two weeks I would be as knowlegable as yourself. You are only proving my point. You may expound if you wish :rofl:

So, not that I've ever worked for Gerber, but who are you to them? Owner, manager, EMT, Medic, what? What makes you an authority on Gerber any more than these guys?

mike1390

Forum Captain
ok well I'll be here telling you I told you so. Then instead of :rofl: it will be more like :sad:. Obviously you only came on here to defend gerber seeing how you have 2 post... only in this thread. Yes I am very knowledgeable in LA County EMS. How am I proving your point? You said that we are telling rumors.. This is not the case it is common knowledge that Gerbers contract is up for bids and torrance wants them out. It is also common knowledge that a lot of gerber employees (past/present) dont like working for them try this, dress in plain clothes and approach a gerber employee (they are easy to find look for the baby blue ambulance with the miserable employees inside) an ask how much they enjoy who they work for, Then do the same for another company such as AMR,McCormick,Care really any of the well established companies in LA County. It will be a much different story. Its companies like gerber who give our industry a bad name because of the lies they tell people to come work for them. I'v seen it first hand, so have other on here, so have people who left and now work where I do and say how horrible it was to work there.

OP
OP
ManEatingCheese

ManEatingCheese

Forum Probie

I asked you a question: Will TFD be renewing your contract, or is it unknown at this time because it's going up for bid?

Additionally, it would be nice to know who you are or what you do at Gerber...