first call of the day is...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
First call in ten months is a mechanical fall with a fractured hip and refused pain management.
Now you broke your hip?! You have very bad luck haha

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
First ED walk in while I was on last night was a case of chicken breath secondary to abdominal pain. The good sir was sort of holding his breath because of the pain, family was freaking out (but negative hispanic panic). He was satting about 88%. NC O2 on board, coach breathing, solve that problem. Later Dx is kidney stone.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Now you broke your hip?! You have very bad luck haha

Hahaha. I'd go ballistic.

We're posted right now about an hour into a 16. Yesterday was pretty uneventful, we'll see what today brings.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hahaha. I'd go ballistic.

We're posted right now about an hour into a 16. Yesterday was pretty uneventful, we'll see what today brings.
Hope you have a nice slow.shift lol

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yesterday was an inferior STEMI at an urgent care

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Femur fracture from fall.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Postictal from seizure (GCS 1-1-1) incontinent (of course, fortunately only code yellow, no code brown) laying fetal position on the floor next to his bed at the kind of SNF that makes you want to petition to ban the word "skilled"

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
N/V/D x 1 hour. 12mg Zofran had zero effect

Anjel

Forum Angel
You guys carry 12 of zofran? We have 8 and have to call for orders to give more than 4.

Angel

Paramedic
we have 4mg vials and tabs but the most we can give is 16. our system is a mixture of rural/urban though so our protocols are fairly liberal in a sense.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You guys carry 12 of zofran? We have 8 and have to call for orders to give more than 4.
We carry a crap more than 12mg. The last time I looked we had 10 ODT and around 8 4mg vials. Our standing orders are for 12mg max total before base contact

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Dialysis

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We carry a crap more than 12mg. The last time I looked we had 10 ODT and around 8 4mg vials. Our standing orders are for 12mg max total before base contact
Do y'all not carry phenergan? I've noticed that for patients who are actively puking it works better. Zofran is amazing for nauseous patients though

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Do y'all not carry phenergan? I've noticed that for patients who are actively puking it works better. Zofran is amazing for nauseous patients though
Negative. Our only option is zofran.

12 mg? Really?

Zofran doesn't work in those situations.
I've had mixed results with doses up to 12mg. It either works extremely well or doesn't work at all.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I've had mixed results with doses up to 12mg. It either works extremely well or doesn't work at all.

I'm not surprised that has been your experience. Studies (and overwhelming anecdotal evidence) show that repeated doses have very little efficacy.

Because ondansetron has a relatively slow onset (10-30 minutes), I think what people are often seeing when repeat doses appear to work is just the first dose finally taking effect. You see the same thing with morphine when you dose it every 3-5 minutes....people end up getting huge doses of it when the initial dose or two probably would have worked fine, had they just let it take effect before re-dosing.

Ondansetron is a great prophylactic, but not a good rescue drug at all.