FireFighter Arrested by CHP. Thoughts?

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
How is a Trooper in the ambulance a HIPAA issue?
That is a good question. We are a service which bills and I imagine anyone who hasn't undergone HIPAA training and isn't part of our service shouldn't be in the ambulance while private medical information is being discussed. I could be wrong but it's what our project medical director and regional EMS office told us when we asked.

Looks like JEMS had an article on this a long time ago and they seem to say you can't disclose too much and should follow the rulings of your EMS overlords. I'm not a lawyer and I'm also very risk-adverse.
http://www.jems.com/articles/2007/08/sharing-patient-information-po.html

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's a very specific situation, but in the case of the police officer investigating the crime or accident, the information they would gather by asking questions of the patient is allowable and is probably not a HIPAA violation. ("Where are you hurt?" "Do you remember what happened?" "Were you drinking?" "Are you taking any meds that may impair your driving?")

Of course, the space issue and the fact that cops can sometimes be douches in the back of the truck gives you all the right in the world to boot 'em out. If they really want to interview the patient, they can drive on over to the ED.

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
It's a very specific situation, but in the case of the police officer investigating the crime or accident, the information they would gather by asking questions of the patient is allowable and is probably not a HIPAA violation. ("Where are you hurt?" "Do you remember what happened?" "Were you drinking?" "Are you taking any meds that may impair your driving?")

Of course, the space issue and the fact that cops can sometimes be douches in the back of the truck gives you all the right in the world to boot 'em out. If they really want to interview the patient, they can drive on over to the ED.
Once we drop off the PT to the ED it's no longer my concern and I'll let the ED staff deal with those issues. I do know, however, that we've been told by our agency and governmental overlords that the troopers are not allowed on the bus unless it's to protect us or the patient and they definitely can't be in there during patient care unless the PT is in custody or we need protection.

Sometimes I feel we need protection from the troopers.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If they really want to interview the patient, they can drive on over to the ED.
This. I have and will do this when applicable. I've had cops ask me if a (critically wounded) GSW victim would be able to be "interviewed" en route to the ED.

I get that they have a very small window to try and piece things together and what not, so my reply has been something to the effect of:

"You can sure try, but I doubt it." followed by a impromptu briefing on how to properly ventilate said patient.

We all have jobs to do, but if push comes to shove I agree they can just meet up the ED. I won't let them eat time when time is of the essence. In the long run it does nothing for even their investigation.

chrls

Forum Crew Member
He's quite frequent on here, just doesn't post all that often. I summoned him via @... next I shall try a doughnut.

I lurk mostly. I'll admit I'm a few days late and haven't read the whole thread but you can't deny that donuts are delicious.

As others have said this incident was several years ago so I don't recall the specifics and don't want to spend a bunch of time getting back into it.

Here is my somewhat generic thoughts to what happened. Incident command authority at a crash is placed with the agency with primary traffic collision investigation responsibility. This tc being on the freeway makes it the highway patrol. This is the case in California where I, calemt, and desertmedic as well as a lot of others on this forum work. I don't know the laws in your state.

That being said I don't know a single chippie who wants to get into an arguement over vehicle placement with fire/ems. As long as everything is getting done and is being done safely you can park most wherever you want. Just don't be that guy who blocks every lane of a freeway for some bent fenders, that's not cool.

The only time I'll ask another first responder to move their piece of equipment is when they're taking up portions of lanes. I don't care that traffic is blocked/slowed in that lane, I care that someone who isn't paying attention is going to hit that polished piece of fender that's sticking 2 feet into the next lane. Not only does this damage your fire truck it gives me a lot more paperwork. I'm looking out for both of us if I'm asking you to move.

As far as arresting somebody who you got into an argunement with? You look like an idiot. If I'm at a crash I have better things to do than argue with a firefighter. We all have a job to do at a scene and mine doesn't included getting into a fight.

We are a large department. Some of us look bad occasionally. This is one of those times.

TL:DR - he was an idiot, made us look bad, and shouldn't have done that.

chrls

Forum Crew Member
Sorry for the derail, but I like learning regional lingo. This one's a humdinger.

This works.

Interesting. Never seen it spelled like that. Always seen it spelled chippy. CHiPs is the other way I've seen it spelled.

CHiPs is the show, don't call us that.

That's a regionalism. In Connecticut, where I grew up, State Police were always called "staties". Here in Georgia, they're "troopers".

Most chippies will give you a weird look if you call them trooper/staties. Haha.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I briefly entertained the idea of joining CHP. I actually like the hat, but the aviators alongside of those a la the prison guard in "Cool Hand Luke" are mandatory.

#YetAnotherThreadDerailSoSueMe

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I briefly entertained the idea of joining CHP. I actually like the hat, but the aviators alongside of those a la the prison guard in "Cool Hand Luke" are mandatory.

#YetAnotherThreadDerailSoSueMe
My dad is actually low key encouraging me to apply to CHP, can't say I'm not low key tempted lol
#YetAnotherCarOffTheTracks

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My dad is actually low key encouraging me to apply to CHP, can't say I'm not low key tempted lol
#YetAnotherCarOffTheTracks

Oddly enough I've been thinking about applying lately...

#TypicalSonOfACop

Kevinf

Forum Captain
They start rookie State Police out here at nearly $60,000 a year plus benefits and union protection. Not bad for a days work.

CALEMT

All this terminology is making my head hurt...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You need an IV of D5W TKO, stat. And CPAP ASAP, or RSI if your SpO2 and ETCO2 are FUBAR.
...good luck if you're in BFE, otherwise you'll CTD sooner rather than later and be USCWOAP.

CALEMT

You need an IV of D5W TKO, stat. And CPAP ASAP, or RSI if your SpO2 and ETCO2 are FUBAR.

See now you're speaking my language. Its when I see words like "bus" and "statie" that make my head hurt.