Falsely advertising being a paramedic ?

Steve Whitehead

Forum Ride Along
Any time you have a title that garners some degree of respect in society, you're going to get some fakes who want the respect without putting in the work. Forget about the law ... just don't tolerate it.

My advice is to out the guy (or gal). Tell them point blank that you, quite frankly, think they are full of BS. Ask them some pointed knowledge questions or ask for some proof. I would never fault someone for challenging me on this.

I think you'll find that they gladdly offer some proof or offer some weak defense and then quietly go away and look for easier targets. Either way, problem solved. And by being authentic about your suspicions, and kindly confronting your faker, you'll garner some trust from your peers in the process.

The Navy SEALs deal with this stuff all the time: http://information.usnavyseals.com/us-navy-seals-info/10-ways-to-spot-fake-us-navy-seal/

Be well,

medic417

The Truth Provider

medic417

The Truth Provider
Also in Texas when dealing with Spanish speaking only there is no term for EMT unless you read them a 200 page book. So many use the Spanish for Paramedic and add the Spanish for basic or intermediate. They are not saying they are above their level just using terms that the patients can understand.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Here's what the NYS BEMS has to say.

The NYS Department of Health does not issue any type of patch, shield or other worn insignia. In accordance with PHL § 3004(4) a Regional Emergency Medical Services Council (REMSCO) may issue, "uniform emergency technician insignia and certificates".

A person who chooses to wear a patch, shield or other insignia may only indicate on such, the level of care that they are certified by the Department to practice at. To do otherwise would be indicating certification not held by the provider which might also constitute a criminal offense

It's that word "might" which seems to suggest there are still legal loopholes surrounding patches and insignia, and any criminal offenses may arise indirectly from dressing up like a buff (imitating public servant perhaps). I still have yet to see anything in reference to the usage of the "title" Paramedic. This unfortunately would still make it appear that it is not in fact a title protected by State or national law.

By contrast, look at the kind of stuff you can find on other, known, protected titles. I know one of them is from Canada, but the wording and meaning is the same:

http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdesped/download/pdf/nurTitleNurseProtected.pdf

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=148.6403

http://www.cno.org/pubs/qp/2007/qpvol6no3.pdf

http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-27417_27529_29413-136712--,00.html

It is notable, that included are some references to the bills which were passed, granting the legal protection of the title. I have yet to see anything remotely similar with regards to "Paramedic" other than the generic, morally wrong to imitate an occupation you are not trained in

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
Whew...good thing I never got caught in those states that limit speech to such extreme. To think of all the girls I may have missed out on or all the times I could of been charged for pulling the old " I am a doctor" routine in the bars...

So that was YOU! Just kidding :p

Hastings

Noobie
Not really a big deal here. Most Basics use the term medic when describing their job simply because no one knows what an EMT is. Not a huge deal.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
What is the problem.

The Cambridge Dictionary defines the word Paramedic as

a person who is trained to do medical work, especially in an emergency, but who is not a doctor or nurse

Doesnt that fit for anyone who works in EMS, regardless of skill level?

Buzz

Forum Captain
Not really a big deal here. Most Basics use the term medic when describing their job simply because no one knows what an EMT is. Not a huge deal.

I know quite a few people that do that too for the very same reason. I guess you can really only explain the difference between the two so many times, or just say paramedic and get your meaning across right away.

And being in Detroit, there's a large number of Canadian citizens here at any given time who probably wouldn't know what an EMT is considering their system calls them paramedics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Unfortunately, it is not a protected title in the US so people can call themselves a paramedic if they choose. The problem comes if they are using their made up title to gain employment, or if they are acting beyond their scope of practice.

In my State it is a Felony to falsify your medical title or license level. This came to fact a few years ago when someone portrayed a military rescue paramedic at an Interstate bridge collapse killing several; only later to find out they had no medical training nor was in the military.

The same law also covers nursing as well as EMS, physicians, etc. The EMS is portion is within the State Statutes and State Rules & Regulation portions.

R/r 911

DR_KSIDE

Forum Crew Member
Rid we have the same here, and this is what our law states:

147A.11 Prohibited acts.
1. Any person not certified as required by this subchapter who claims to be an emergency medical care provider, or who uses any other term to indicate or imply that the person is an emergency medical care provider, or who acts as an emergency medical care provider without having obtained the appropriate certificate under this subchapter, is guilty of a class "D" felony.
2. An owner of an unauthorized ambulance, rescue, or first response service in this state who operates or purports to operate an ambulance, rescue, or first response service, or who uses any term to indicate or imply authorization without having obtained the appropriate authorization under this subchapter, is guilty of a class "D" felony.
3. Any person who imparts or conveys, or causes to be imparted or conveyed, or attempts to impart or convey false information concerning the need for assistance of an ambulance, rescue, or first response service or of any personnel or equipment thereof, knowing such information to be false, is guilty of a serious misdemeanor.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
What is the problem.

It's a problem because in the US there is a huge difference between what the different levels can do. If I arrive on scene and someone says "I'm and EMT" instead of "I'm a Paramedic" I have a pretty good idea what level of training they have.

It's like the difference between a teacher and a professor.

And being in Detroit, there's a large number of Canadian citizens here at any given time who probably wouldn't know what an EMT is considering their system calls them paramedics.

I had a HUGE problem with this when I worked in Canada. I was working for an American company, taking care of Americans so we were able to get some exemption from me being licensed in Canada. Anyway, the medevac service that covered our area was staffed with Canadians, and it took me hours to explain to the company I was contracted to that everyone in the province we were in was a called a paramedic, and that it really did matter what kind of paramedic they were.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
147A.11 Prohibited acts.
1. Any person not certified as required by this subchapter who claims to be an emergency medical care provider, or who uses any other term to indicate or imply that the person is an emergency medical care provider, or who acts as an emergency medical care provider without having obtained the appropriate certificate under this subchapter, is guilty of a class "D" felony.
2. An owner of an unauthorized ambulance, rescue, or first response service in this state who operates or purports to operate an ambulance, rescue, or first response service, or who uses any term to indicate or imply authorization without having obtained the appropriate authorization under this subchapter, is guilty of a class "D" felony.
3. Any person who imparts or conveys, or causes to be imparted or conveyed, or attempts to impart or convey false information concerning the need for assistance of an ambulance, rescue, or first response service or of any personnel or equipment thereof, knowing such information to be false, is guilty of a serious misdemeanor.

Thanks for that.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
It's a problem because in the US there is a huge difference between what the different levels can do. If I arrive on scene and someone says "I'm and EMT" instead of "I'm a Paramedic" I have a pretty good idea what level of training they have.

It's like the difference between a teacher and a professor.

Aidey

You obviously have trouble reading. I have reposed as a quote. I asked a rhetorical question that was answered in the remainder of my post.

The Cambridge Dictionary defines the word Paramedic as

Quote:
a person who is trained to do medical work, especially in an emergency, but who is not a doctor or nurse

Doesnt that fit for anyone who works in EMS, regardless of skill level?

medic417

The Truth Provider
TO WHAT?? So what is their name now ?? My card still says Texas Dept of State Health Services..

Umm you called them by their old name "Texas Department of Health" in your post if you go read it. Now they are as you state above TDSHS, or Dishes as we affectionatly refer to them.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Back on topic please, or take it to PM.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
In Northwest Indiana there is a private company that has the word MEDIC in big block letter on the back of all their jackets and shirts, regardless of their level of certification. I know I always assumed they were a paramedic only service until I was told differently from one of their employees.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
In Northwest Indiana there is a private company that has the word MEDIC in big block letter on the back of all their jackets and shirts, regardless of their level of certification. I know I always assumed they were a paramedic only service until I was told differently from one of their employees.

Here in SoCal we have Medix Ambulance, Medic-1 ambulance and Doctor's Ambulance, all BLS services.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I'LL correct them once and say EMT not paramedic, but after that, especially with friends who I see all the time I'll let the "medic"/"paramedic" slide as I know they don't jknow the difference so to them its not falsifying anything.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
I can relate to the remind them once, but they still do not get it scenario. In the hospital the nurses either refer to the crews as ambulance drivers or as paramedics. Although it seems to usually be calling the drivers/EMTs paramedics, and calling the legit medics ambulance drivers. Maybe our neighbors to the north got it right when they said... hmmm... maybe we should just call them all the same thing. We call LPNs, RNs, and APRNs a nurse... maybe we should call EMT, AEMT, and Paramedic all ambulance drivers! Then there will be less confusion. :D j/kn. We should just have paramedics and be done with it ;)