Ever forget to put on your gloves?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Let's not forget, gloves are there for the patient's protection to. Putting them on enroute kind of defeats the point.
Not really, the only thing I'm going to touch between now and then are my patient care equipment which I would have touched anyway, and maybe a door handle that i always clean and disinfect throughly.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Forgot? No. I'm very anal about putting on my gloves.

There have been times that I haven't had time to put on my gloves. Those times never included any bodily fluids though.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
If the patient has any iso, I put on two pairs. I've been in situations where, a patient needs something an I've just taken my gloves off and my hands are sweating. Though, with MRSA, I play it extra safe. The places I dread the most are con. homes. Those nurses are spreading MRSA everywhere.

Just the other day, I was doing paperwork and fifteen minutes came and I began taking another set. I didn't have gloves on, though, I don't think a 12 year-old's arm is gonna infect me with some horrid disease.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
How are they spreading MRSA everywhere?

Half of those con home nurses do not take iso precautions. They are constantly coming into contact with patients that have VRE, c-diff, and the variations of MRSA. I see iso carts outside of practically every room or a sign stating isolation.

I have personally, seen nurses at con homes touching MRSA sputum patients without a gown and gloves on. After touching the patient they grab a pen and their clipboard. Come on, have you been to con homes?

medic417

The Truth Provider

VentMedic

Forum Chief
con homes

?? Are we talking a Prison/Jail or a LTC facility of some type? I will admit prisons are difficult to control inmate activity and right now we have gotten several cases of Influenza A identified from them. As well, like school gyms, their showers can also be a source of MRSA. We do have a prison wing in the hospital where everyone now gets a MRSA and flu nasal swab upon admission.

I have personally, seen nurses at con homes touching MRSA sputum patients without a gown and gloves on.

If the MRSA is isolated to the sputum, I don't gown either if the patient is not spewing sputum everywhere. If it is isolated to a wound that is covered, I am careful not to touch the bedding. While it is wise to exercise caution and good hand washing techniques, it is also possible to go over board. The institution requirements and precautions for MRSA have changed depending on the location of the colonization or active infection. They are now classified as aerosol, droplet and contact with different requirements for each.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
?? Are we talking a Prison/Jail or a LTC facility of some type?

LTC, nursing home, rest home...pick your term.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I had forgotten to put gloves on a few times while working for a beach patrol agency, not so much now. I remember one incident involving a shark bite, while i was wearing gloves i wondered how much they really protected me, considering all i was wearing was a swimsuit. this is the only time i have been grossed out by blood, when i realized i was standing barefoot in a puddle of it.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
I never forget..well ok once but thats why I always keep a spare pair in the pockets of my turnouts, never know.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I ripped a glove the other night when I was practically asleep. I noticed my hand and thought something was wrong with the picture, but it took me a moment to realize that what was wrong was blood on my bare skin. Told myself I was a moron, went for the hand sanitizer, put a glove on, and made sure to wash really well when I got back.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I ripped a glove the other night when I was practically asleep. I noticed my hand and thought something was wrong with the picture, but it took me a moment to realize that what was wrong was blood on my bare skin. Told myself I was a moron, went for the hand sanitizer, put a glove on, and made sure to wash really well when I got back.

Did the pt have any Blood Borne Illness's? Did you have any open cuts on your hand, or peeling or cracked skin where it happened? If you answered yes, you better fill out an incident report...

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Tonight we got done bringing in an ETOH and were just about ready to head out when four patients came in on two ambulances from an MVA. We helped the crews get the patients on on our stretcher. In the rush I forgot gloves and ended up sticking my hand in a glob of blood (only exposed my thumb which has no visible open cuts). I literally jumped across the ED to the sink and got it off immediately (blood was maybe on my hand for a second) and thoroughly scrubbed my hands off. How concerned should I be?

kittaypie

Forum Crew Member
Tonight we got done bringing in an ETOH and were just about ready to head out when four patients came in on two ambulances from an MVA. We helped the crews get the patients on on our stretcher. In the rush I forgot gloves and ended up sticking my hand in a glob of blood (only exposed my thumb which has no visible open cuts). I literally jumped across the ED to the sink and got it off immediately (blood was maybe on my hand for a second) and thoroughly scrubbed my hands off. How concerned should I be?

umm, don't be concerned. there was no exposure.

Scout

Para-Noid
ended up sticking my hand in a glob of blood

BE afraid be very afraid.........

Well no not really. Blood is not the evil carryer of death.

1 there needs to be something bad a the blood. Lets call this dark matter.
2 the dark matter needs to come in contact with you. check
3 It needs to get in and mix with you. Thought cuts, eyes mouth or some other orifice.
4 you need to be unlucky enough for all that to happen before you die a horrible death outcast by society.

Or it could be you just got a bi of dirt on you and you washed it off...

O and kitty for you its a 10 tonne penguin

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Thanks guys. I understand I'm just being a paranoid newb.

I figure this has to happen all the time at varying levels of healthcare and you don't see providers dropping left and right.