Ever forget to put on your gloves?

Hockey

Quackers
Kitchen sink is mandatory. How else do you think we was our hands in between calls in the truck?!

See, I don't wash my hands. I just cover it in a coating of alcohol (from my bottle of Vodka behind the drivers seat) and light it on fire to burn the germs off.

burned_hands_250.jpg

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Was at a major trauma and popped a glove, blood everywhere. Not to fussed about that, it just washes off.

I was more disgusted by the my lack of p2 mask and the subsequent distinct taste of blood that I noticed when I got back in the truck after we called it. Unpleasant, but I wasn't too worried given the setting.

All in all, not a good day for personal protection equipment:blush:.

DavethetrainWreck

Forum Probie
I rarely ever forget to forget to put on gloves because I keep them in my pockets all the time before the shift starts so I always have them handy. I usually put them on before I show up on scene. I usually feel better putting on gloves because most of the Pts I deal with are :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing gross.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't even get off the truck with out gloves on

You better when you walk into the hospital, it's against OSHA to wear gloves outside of the pt rooms.

kb1ofc

Forum Ride Along
Do you at least take the gloves off before you return to the truck?

depends on the call but usually they come off before i get in the back

Last edited by a moderator:

MGary

Forum Probie
Haha, mine was the same as Swindlman.

First ever ride-along. Too much excitement of that first-ever call where you actually are 911 instead of the person calling it.

Jumped out, checked the scene, jogged over to the patient (minor car accident, nonsignificant mechanism) and started in on the initial assessment. Wasn't until the Medic I was riding with told me to take C-Spine for her that I looked down at my hands and had to tell her I was an idiot and didn't think she'd actually have me in there giving patient care. In retrospect, what I thought I was doing on the ambulance if not learning through application, I don't know.

I guess for some reason I thought I would be more job-shadowing, sitting back and watching kind of thing. But they needed an extra pair of hands and here was a guy 3/4 of the way through EMT-Basic training. Good enough to hold a head in position.

Never actually made skin-to-skin contact without the BSI, just made myself look like an idiot by having to run back for it. Great start to an EMS career. Haha.

On a side note, as a CNAT (finishing training) here they actually tell us not to glove up unless doing something invasive (catheter care, perineal washing, etc) or dealing with a patient with a known illness or open sores. If just doing range-of-motion exercises, feeding, grooming, dressing, etc, no BSI required. Personally... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
On a side note, as a CNAT (finishing training) here they actually tell us not to glove up unless doing something invasive (catheter care, perineal washing, etc) or dealing with a patient with a known illness or open sores. If just doing range-of-motion exercises, feeding, grooming, dressing, etc, no BSI required. Personally... :unsure:

Think of it this way. If you met your patients at the grocery store and they offered to shake your hand, would you? No sane person (and, yes, OCD'ing to the point of wearing gloves at all times is not sane) wears gloves 24/7/365. We have an immune system for a reason.

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
holy crap that would be nasty! lucky for all of you it wasn't one of those cases where the pt. spurted blood out of a severed artery while you were doing CPR. i've seen it happen before and believe me it's nothing like the sprinkler in your back yard. the pressure is intense and it just goes everywhere.

MendoEMT

Forum Crew Member
I always carry two extra pairs of gloves with me on every call. One of my very first calls was for a motorcyclist down and he had an open fracture on his R femur. In my haste to trauma-shear the ****ens out of his pants I sliced open both my gloves and got blood all over my hands, and the worst thing is is that I'm a nail biter, so I know I probably had some opening on my hands. Needless to say I was super relieved to hear later that the pt didn't have anything communicable, but it was a lousy way to start my career!:blush:

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope, never forgotten. Gloves go on enroute, if its a messy call, I put on a large pair and an XL pair over those. Almost ever touch anything w.o gloves on. When I'm writing my report I use a new set of gloves incase I forgot and touched my pen with dirty gloves earlier. I keep a 'clean pen' in a different pocket for use in the hospital outside of patient action areas.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Nope, never forgotten. Gloves go on enroute, if its a messy call, I put on a large pair and an XL pair over those. Almost ever touch anything w.o gloves on. When I'm writing my report I use a new set of gloves incase I forgot and touched my pen with dirty gloves earlier. I keep a 'clean pen' in a different pocket for use in the hospital outside of patient action areas.

Let's not forget, gloves are there for the patient's protection to. Putting them on enroute kind of defeats the point.

Medic744

Forum Captain
I have a perpetual case of "dish pan hands." Cracked, dry, and raw. My microbiology class is next semester, so we'll see what happens to me THEN. I might end up one of those OCD guys that just can't stop.

In one of my microlabs our assignment was to take a petri dish and rub it on something that was supposedly clean and see what grew. I took a few and tested a few spots in a truck that had just been decon. Its scary what all survives.

JPINFV

Gadfly
In one of my microlabs our assignment was to take a petri dish and rub it on something that was supposedly clean and see what grew. I took a few and tested a few spots in a truck that had just been decon. Its scary what all survives.

Was it cleaned properly? Most cleaners require up to 10 minutes of the surface being damp to properly kill all bacteria and viruses.