Ever forget to put on your gloves?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Yes You are right But My first Priority is mine and my partners personal safety. if its not safe for use im sorry about your luck.. sorry thats the life of the EMT my job is to save you but if i cant do it safely i cant do it.. end of story

Yes, you are correct that your safety is the most important thing. But remember, part of BSI includes what you do AFTER and during BSI precautions. In other words, if you don't take your gloves off immediately after the call is over, you are exposing yourself and your coworkers to unneeded risks.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
If I ever have to get on the bed, I always feel the bed with my gloved hand first, then look on the glove for moisture :]

You sticky-test the bed? Nice :p

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I wonder how many people realize that standard precaution is not gloves on for all patients without thought.

Techinically, it's not. But for me, I will wear gloves 100% of the time.

CF919

Forum Probie
Yes, you are correct that your safety is the most important thing. But remember, part of BSI includes what you do AFTER and during BSI precautions. In other words, if you don't take your gloves off immediately after the call is over, you are exposing yourself and your coworkers to unneeded risks.

Oh no after the call we like to keep wearing them showing off all the body fluids on them kinda like the warriors don't clean the blood off there swords. im the biggest decon freak there is. honestly how often do you decon youre scope.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Oh no after the call we like to keep wearing them showing off all the body fluids on them kinda like the warriors don't clean the blood off there swords. im the biggest decon freak there is. honestly how often do you decon youre scope.

No need to get sarcastic.

Maybe I didn't phrase my response correctly, but you stated that you write reports with your gloves on. By doing this, remember, you are affecting YOUR personal safety.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
How do you Figure the scene is never really safe??

Here's an example. Let's say you are dispatched to a basic medical call. At the start of the call, you determine the scene is safe. Does that mean the scene is safe the whole time? Not in the least. Things change. What if the patient pulls a weapon? Or the family becomes uncontrollable?

You just need to constantly re-evaluate. Once again, it comes back to YOUR safety.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
OK i give up again for real this time you guys are way to good for me.

Why not just learn from what people have told you instead of giving up so easily? They are just trying to help you out.

CF919

Forum Probie
you are so right on that. i give you props. scene size up doesn't end it continues through out the call up to the point when you transfer care over. oh crap i was gonna give up!!! lol

CF919

Forum Probie
In this field i learn everyday every call you will not ever stop learning there will allways be somthing new.. i take every recomindation into consideration

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
In this field i learn everyday every call you will not ever stop learning there will allways be somthing new.. i take every recomindation into consideration

Good to hear.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes You are right But My first Priority is mine and my partners personal safety. if its not safe for use im sorry about your luck.. sorry thats the life of the EMT my job is to save you but if i cant do it safely i cant do it.. end of story

If you care about yourself then you would care about preventing cross contamination. Do you ever handle your clipboard without gloves on?

Gen09

Forum Ride Along
That's always one of the first things on my mind. Whether I'm in truck or an ambulance I make sure I have some gloves and depending on the severity of the call I'll either put them on on the way or once I get to the patient. They come off before I hop back in the the truck/ambulance also. :p

JB42

Forum Crew Member
Oh also, yes, I have fogotten gloves on occasion. The most memorable and probably worst time was my first code, I was still riding as a non-EMT as I was waiting for my license to come back