hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Every private ambulance service I have ever worked for has had transient summer employees of the college student type. While it's certainly true your municipalities and such are almost certainly not going to be interested in training a new employee just to have them disappear in a few months; your average ambulance company isn't going to care much because, lets face it, they aren't going to spend much time training you anyway.

Once you have your ticket, apply at all the privates in your area. You can be upfront and honest or not. Your choice. They aren't going to care much when you disappear in September, so don't worry about it. The privates are a revolving door of employees.

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
Not all privates are revolving doors. While most of your IFT only companies are there are plenty of private 911 companies that are comparable to government run or better.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Alright then, a rephrasing.

All of the privates I am familiar with, which is just about all of them in Massachusetts, are revolving doors.

Perhaps somewhere in this vast land of possibilities there are other variations on this theme, but that has been my experience.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Alright then, a rephrasing.

All of the privates I am familiar with, which is just about all of them in Massachusetts, are revolving doors.

Perhaps somewhere in this vast land of possibilities there are other variations on this theme, but that has been my experience.
I did this with Brewster starting in 2011. I worked two summers and a winter there, it was pretty good for me. Zero issues when I came back, just had to call the ops manager to get reactivated in the scheduler.

nater

Forum Crew Member
I worked at an amusement park for a few summers in college before entering EMS. They had a number of seasonal EMTs and paramedics, but also expected around 50-60 hours a week of work during the season.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I would apply to any place that has part time EMT positions. being able to work part time tells them you have other commitments elsewhere, and will give you the flexibility to schedule work around your classes. I would definitely be vague about the only being there for a few months.

if you come back home for a weekend, work a shift to keep them happy

Ethan

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone recall being that green? Youth is wasted on the young. lol I know 6 Flags hires EMT's

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Does anyone recall being that green? Youth is wasted on the young. lol I know 6 Flags hires EMT's
If I ever forgot I was that new, and green I'd be hard pressed not call myself an arrogant paragod. I don't know about you, but I'm all for helping those on here with seemingly genuine inquires. DrP offered up the best course of action for the op, FWIW.

Ethan

Forum Crew Member
I was just reflecting with smile of course of the days it was all new and possibilities endless. When bones didn't hurt in the morning and knees didn't cramp up during prolonged kneeling, and my back was better the next day. Not knowing what AMR is or PRN means,,just fond memories. My post was not to be condescending but one of jealousy :)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I was just reflecting with smile of course of the days it was all new and possibilities endless. When bones didn't hurt in the morning and knees didn't cramp up during prolonged kneeling, and my back was better the next day. Not knowing what AMR is or PRN means,,just fond memories. My post was not to be condescending but one of jealousy :)
Cool beans. I think oftentimes we jump on the new, and seemingly impressionable (myself included) at times without remembering how it comes across. I too get the "aging medic" metaphors all too well, and I chuckle at some of that stuff, too. More along the lines of the old adage: "I am not laughing at you, but rather with you."

Unfortunately not everyone sees it that way on the interwebs these days (different generation and all), so I can't help but want to keep things in perspective for the seemingly "good eggs" of the "millennial" generation:).