ems sticker in your car window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJones

Iconoclast
"Flagged down at a wreck"? Seriously?

If I was flagged down at a wreck and I didn't see ejected passengers littering in the roadway, I'd offer to call 911 for them.

I've had an EMS sticker in one form or another in the back window of my vehicle since 1988. Know how many times I've been flagged down at a wreck? Zero. Nada. None.

Know how many times I've stopped for a wreck? Twice. Once to tell the person to get out of the road and pull his car to the shoulder and the second time when the car was on fire and the driver was wandering around, disoriented in the travel lane on the highway.

I think stopping twice in 25 years is pretty good. And it had nothing to do with my EMS sticker. :)

I've stopped once. And that only because I was first to drive up on a car that slid through a curve on a country road, hit a tree and bounced back onto the road so as to block both lanes of travel. Car wouldn't start, no way to pass due to ditches and such, so I stuck around to help alert others of the hazard until the sheriff deputies arrived. Oh, I did check, and the driver was uninjured.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Nothing.

I have no interest in being flagged down at a wreck just cause someone has a scratched bumper and neck pain.

I've never been flagged down for a human patient, only for a friend's dog who was in labor.

I've stopped at a couple cars on the side of the road, but usually its to offer a hand at changing a tire or other minor car repair. I've only stopped once for someone I thought might need an ambulance, and that was because as I was driving by, it looked like the driver was slumped over the wheel, with two kids in the back. Turns out, the driver was sobbing into the steering wheel while waiting for the tow-truck.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I would NEVER expect to get out of a ticket.. Not even by my LEO buddies, or the cop who sang at my wedding, or the Hwy Patrolman whose children are in my Sunday school class.

I feel that expecting a cop to break the law for me is so many levels of disrespectful to him, his career, his integrity.. (Or hers)

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I would NEVER expect to get out of a ticket.. Not even by my LEO buddies, or the cop who sang at my wedding, or the Hwy Patrolman whose children are in my Sunday school class.

I feel that expecting a cop to break the law for me is so many levels of disrespectful to him, his career, his integrity.. (Or hers)

It's not necessarily breaking the law though. The LEO initiating the stop has the authority to determine if they are going to issue a ticket or a warning. I would never have any expectation to get out of a ticket, but if the LEO chooses not to write one, I'm fine with getting a warning. This obviously only applies to minor infractions. Any kind of courtesy warning goes out the window if the violation is anything more than a few MPH over the speed limit. I would imagine that a lot of the time the warning might be due to the potential impact tickets can have on insurability, and thus careers. Writing a ticket for 5 over may not have a huge affect on most people, but for those driving any kind of emergency vehicle, a few of those can potentially lead to job loss.

Having said this, I really don't speed much and have actually never even been pulled over (except for one unfortunate felony stop in which I was mistaken for an armed robbery suspect). I'm just trying to put it out there that it's not necessarily a case of "preferential treatment" or "breaking the law."

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I used to have agency stickers in my back car window. usually the only thing it does it get security off my back when I park semi-legally over the night shifts. Not that It stopped having security, the police, and my supervisor blocking in my car and texts being sent to me say that I was getting a ticket....

I won't put my agency level, but I have no problem with a small agency sticker showing you are part of said agency.

wacker stickers, however, go on my helmet only. And I have quite a few of them on quite a few helmets.

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
I have 3 stickers on my car, an American Flag since I am in the Military and I support and love this country. A crossfit sticker to my local Crossfit Box because I love Crossfit. Last one is my Fire Departments Union Sticker for which I belong to. Im glad my state doesn't have specialized license plates for Fire/EMS because it could cause problems that I don't want to deal with and I think they look plain Tacky, JMHO

Mariemt

Forum Captain
I have 3 stickers on my car, an American Flag since I am in the Military and I support and love this country. A crossfit sticker to my local Crossfit Box because I love Crossfit. Last one is my Fire Departments Union Sticker for which I belong to. Im glad my state doesn't have specialized license plates for Fire/EMS because it could cause problems that I don't want to deal with and I think they look plain Tacky, JMHO
tacky? Its a star of life next to the numbers. My whole squad has them. Not for show but for response.

Did you know all money collected is donated?

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
tacky? Its a star of life next to the numbers. My whole squad has them. Not for show but for response.

Did you know all money collected is donated?

Not all of the money is donated. You should get an itemized printout for your taxes which explains which portion is donated and what is the fee for the state issued license plate. You might find that the donation part is not very much.

Stoked

Forum Crew Member
I have a small Star of Life sticker and one for an unrelated fraternal organization.

I also have a Leatherman somewhere in the hellhole that is my trunk. Guess I'm a wacker.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Oh my god I guess I'm a multi-Wacker... I have my base access sticker on my Xterra which has my grade on it (so guess Im a USAF wacker), and I have an AOPA sticker AND an ALEA sticker (guess Im a pilot wacker) a University of San Francisco Alumni license plate frame (Jesuit wacker?) and a small union sticker for IAEP in support of our local ambulance folks! Oh and I fogrot a parking sticker for the local hospital in case my wife needs to take my car (hospital wacker), guess I need to find a 12 step program...:rofl:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Lets be clear, a small sticker that has your agency affiliation it or a small star or life... Not a whacker.

Multiple stickers with phrases like "my other car is an ambulance" and "EMS, paid to save your ***, not kiss it" ... Whacker.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
No.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have 2 employees who have the star of life decal on the back of their truck. Inside the star of life there is a pole and a pole dancer...

Stoked

Forum Crew Member
Where I live, the term whacker is used to describe these morons with the retired Ford Crown Victorias that they outfit with push bumpers, spotlights, heavy tint, superfluous antennas, and usually Law Enforcement Memorial license plates. They may push a forklift in a warehouse for minimum wage all day, but on the roads they think they're Supercop.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I have this sticker.. I like it.. I used to have one that said "Proud Infidel", but it wore off..

1398814_01_coexist_colt_glock_beretta_sa__640.jpg

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I have Ems plates and a state patch decal on my car. I have it because I am proud of what I do and have a passion for it.

CFal

Forum Captain
I have a ski patrol sticker on the bottom left of my rear window, it's a 4 inch diameter circle with my mountain on it. Closest thing I have to a whacker sticker is on an ammo can I use to keep stuff dry on the river that says "support search and rescue get lost"

Status
Not open for further replies.