Deal breakers at work

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The smacking part was an exaggeration to make a point.

Point taken.

Never underestimate the instability of those in the general public, it's a good enough reason to be nice to people.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
2) People who show up 5 minutes before shift, when you've been there for 15 mins already checking out the truck/gear. Sure we don't get paid to come in early nor penalised for logging on late but it screws other crews over, extending their shifts etc.
oddly enough, The exact opposite is an annoyance for me, for exactly the reasons you give. If my shift is 6am to 6pm, I will be here at 6am, start checking my truck, and doing work when I clock in, when I am at work. thankfully we get paid if we take a take run or if we get an early run as well, but the truck check thing is definitely on our own time.

If management wants me to come in 15 minutes before my shift starts and check my truck, that's fine, but then pay me to come in 15 minutes early, and that 15 minutes is for truck check, so at 6am, I am all good to go.

Also don't try to write me up for missing equipment, or not completing my check if you send me on a run at 6:01am, because I didn't have the time to check my truck.

As others say, I don't volunteer my time (when I'm at work).

As for one of my dealbreakers, it's people who don't want to do the job, or who complain about having to do a job. I work 12 hour shifts, and i know from 6am to 6pm and I know every call that happens during that time is mine. only time I will complain is if it happens before I have had breakfast. and if you are working from 6am to 6pm, if you get an emergency job at 5:59, and your relief isn't there, go on the job, since you are there for 12 hours and late jobs happen (scheduled or non emergency transports are a different ball game and can sometimes be scheduled to get you out on time).

but other than that, if this is your job, go on the job, no attitude, no complaining. if you work for a busy system, than you know it's going to be busy. if you don't like it, go find another job. There are people who complain every time they get a job. every single time. isn't that what they are paid for???

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Also don't try to write me up for missing equipment, or not completing my check if you send me on a run at 6:01am, because I didn't have the time to check my truck.

Why should you not get written up for missing equipment? If you available time is at 0600 you should be ready at 0600 not just getting to the station. If you get a call and are late to that call and/or have missing equipment then it should be all on you.

Easy if you don't want to get written up and possibly fired then have the unit ready to go by the time you go available.

Regardless of what time my shift starts I am at the station 30 minutes prior because we do get the call that comes that 0601. Heck me and my partner are ready to go at 0545 (when the crew we are taking over for come to station) and we will take an early call so the off coming crew does not get a late call.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Why should you not get written up for missing equipment? If you available time is at 0600 you should be ready at 0600 not just getting to the station. If you get a call and are late to that call and/or have missing equipment then it should be all on you.

Easy if you don't want to get written up and possibly fired then have the unit ready to go by the time you go available.

Regardless of what time my shift starts I am at the station 30 minutes prior because we do get the call that comes that 0601. Heck me and my partner are ready to go at 0545 (when the crew we are taking over for come to station) and we will take an early call so the off coming crew does not get a late call.

Why should you work for free?

The system should have built in time for you to check your rig. Maybe overlapping shifts by fifteen minutes or so. If not, you shouldn't be allowed to field a call until your rig is checked

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

The system should have built in time for you to check your rig. Maybe overlapping shifts by fifteen minutes or so. If not, you shouldn't be allowed to field a call until your rig is checked

For my pay 30 minutes = $5 (give or take a couple coins). So it's not like I'm missing some huge amount of money.

I'm gonna do the old fashioned look at it from the patients eyes. If you get on scene and the monitor is dead or you are missing defib stickers is it acceptable in the patients eyes.

What if that patient was in V-fib and they needed some electricity? My system isn't built correctly so nope you get to die.

Or you could actually you know care about the patients and be ready to go when your system says you need to be.

It's really sad that everyone has gotten into the mind set of "I don't work for free so screw the patients".

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Now that some posts have been removed from this thread, it will be allowed to continue. If I have to intervene again, it will be closed.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Agreed. My start time is when we are to be available, with a stocked truck, leaving the garage and entering into the system. If you are consistently late to sign on you will have action taken against you.

My agency pays us 15 minutes prior to our start of shift time for this exact reason.

No one likes late calls, I know I get frustrated when I get a late call because another crew couldn't sign in on time so I strive to be out of the garage on time or early. I'm like you, always at work 25-30 minutes before my scheduled start time, clock in 15 minutes before our scheduled start time and am usually ready to go into the system 10 minutes early and have an ear on the radio, if the EOS car is getting a call I'll jump it so they can get off on time.

Agreed. Like I said, we have 15 minutes of paid time prior to our scheduled start of shift for this exact reason.

When it comes down to it I've had the truck opposite of us always sign on late and we always got late calls. I let it slide for a while but halfway through the second week I talked with that crew. It still continued to happen and I went to a supervisor and it was handled. Unless you have a really good reason there's no excuse for you to be lazy and late to work and I end up getting smacked with OT for it.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant

This is the common practice where I work. It is considered a courtesy to the off-going crew so they don't get stuck running that late call. There are those that do not participate in the practice and roll in 1 minute prior to the start of the shift (the minute men), but they are few.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Also a common practice where I work. Arriving early is the decent thing to do. We all do it, so we're usually doing our shift change stuff around 0630, instead of 7. Nothing worse than running all night and getting banged out for that final call at 0630.

Some medics will show up, ready to go at least 15 minutes prior to shift change, but most are there 30 minutes early.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
When I was in the military it was common practice, and expected to relieve the watch 15 minutes early.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
I get to work 45 minutes early, but i dont expect others to do that.

As long as everyone is dressed and checking out gear by 0600 i have no issues.

Crews getting off shift dont just leave batteries dead and things in disarray so getting a call before we are done with checkout isnt an issue.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It just seems like common courtesy more than anything else.

If you are one of those that shows up at your scheduled time and not a minute earlier and I heard you *****ing about getting a late call because "that crew didn't sign on" I'd have no problem calling you out on it.

Karma is a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

BHADAVE

Forum Ride Along
Well in theory, the crew coming off of shift is as much responsible to make sure the truck is ready to be back on the road as I am. Guess what, use a nrb, replace it. When I punch in 13 minutes before my shift starts because I'm nit allowed to punch in any sooner, I expect my truck to be ready for a call at the moment my shift actually starts. But I guess I will take a page from another persons book and complain to a supervisor is someone is not following policies.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
For my pay 30 minutes = $5 (give or take a couple coins). So it's not like I'm missing some huge amount of money.
$5 a day x 3 shifts a week x 52 weeks a year = $780, give or take a couple coins. is $780 every year money that you could use?
Or you could actually you know care about the patients and be ready to go when your system says you need to be.

It's really sad that everyone has gotten into the mind set of "I don't work for free so screw the patients".
See, nowhere did I say screw the patients, or that I don't care about my patients. I said I don't work for free.

But lets take your idea and run with it. If you work 6 to 6, and at 5:30, you get sent on a long distance transport that takes 2 hours. but your shift ends at 6pm, so you don't get paid for any work after 6pm, but it's for the patients, so you are ok with working for free, right?

It has nothing to do with caring about patients, the issue I have is being expected to work for free. my shift starts at 6, than I start working at 6. If you are ok working for free, that's your choice. my time is more valuable to be found working for free, especially when my employer is making money off of me working for free.
My start time is when we are to be available, with a stocked truck, leaving the garage and entering into the system. If you are consistently late to sign on you will have action taken against you.
which isn't what is being discussed because
My agency pays us 15 minutes prior to our start of shift time for this exact reason.
which is awesome, I wish more agencies did that. 15 minutes on the clock to check your truck and correct any deficiencies before answering any calls or going on any assignments. no working for free, and the truck gets to be 100% when your truck is supposed to be good to go.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
which isn't what is being discussed.

It's a pet peeves thread. People being habitually late for work is my number one pet peeve. Especially if I get a late run because of it.

I understand what you're saying about working for free but where do coworkers come into play? What else are you going to be doing at 545 in the morning? I don't know about you but most of my coworkers are friends of mine and I try to help out when I can. When I help them they are more inclined to help me.

Just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
$5 a day x 3 shifts a week x 52 weeks a year = $780, give or take a couple coins. is $780 every year money that you could use? See, nowhere did I say screw the patients, or that I don't care about my patients. I said I don't work for free.

Yes I could use the $780 per year but I'm not going to complain about not getting it.

And you pretty much said screw the patients when you said "if I arrive on scene and have missing equipment I shouldn't get in trouble for it because that call was at 0601 and my shift starts at 0600."

You don't care about your patients enough to make sure you have a fully stocked unit before you get a call. You just show up with what you got.

Anjel

Forum Angel
What I used to do at my previous job was take turns coming in early. One week I would come in 15minutes early. Next week my partner would.

Where I work now we really don't have a time to get out of the station. As long as we are out in 30min or so we are ok.

BHADAVE

Forum Ride Along
And you pretty much said screw the patients when you said "if I arrive on scene and have missing equipment I shouldn't get in trouble for it because that call was at 0601 and my shift starts at 0600."

So I should have enough " respect " for my co workers to
Come in early for free? Shouldn't they have enough respect for me to completely restock what they used and have the truck ready for the next crew?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Shouldn't they have enough respect for me to completely restock what they used and have the truck ready for the next crew?

Depends on how your service or unit is. For example my unit deploys out of a side station that stores no medical supplies out of it. So in order to restock the unit we have to be cleared into our main station.

We don't always get cleared into the main station before our EOS time. Often (pretty much every day) we just get cleared into our side station thus not allowing us to restock on equipment. The on coming crew has to go to the main station and restock the unit and turn in paperwork.

We have county par levels and company par levels for equipment. In my unit we have enough equipment (disposable) to fully stock 2 ambulances due to us not always getting to go to main.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Snitches

Yep, snitches are pretty much deal breakers... I've been known to have a heavy hand (metaphorically not literally) but I don't go running to management, crying over everything, if there is an issue, then you'll know and we'll discuss in no uncertain terms, but the only deal breaker is a snitch... ;)