Deal breakers at work

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
IFT company owners that see fit to utilize 3 transport crews to move his daughter into her new apartment.

Seriously? Wow. I would start looking for another job. Fast. And if I had the savings to get me through, I would tell the owner to pound sand right then and there. <_<

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm not talking about pet peeves like, "I hate when EMTs put patients on backboards". I'm talking about the big, "there is no way this will happen while I'm here" kind of things.

I was talking to my partner and some of the biggies that we came up with are reckless driving, turfing ALS patients to BLS, punitive ALS (putting a 16 in a drunk kid to teach him a lesson), the dip thing I mentioned and use of drugs or alcohol.

Those are some of things that are simply non-negotiable.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
On coworkers: People that have an obsessive need to backboard everyone.

Company: IFT company owners that see fit to utilize 3 transport crews to move his daughter into her new apartment.

I have a simple answer for that. No. I'm happy to do what is required while i'm on shift, especially for the people signing my paychecks. I do additional duties whenever needed, and do so without disagreement... But this is a bit excessive. I am employed to work on an ambulance and the associated tasks (patient care, station cleaning, etc). If I am moving the owner's daughter, and I, or my partner gets injured, it's not clear that we would be covered under workers comp (not in our job description/normal duties). I've worked places where it is a fireable offense to refuse to do a call, but I have no qualms about saying no to this. Sorry.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
You know what really gets to me? Those guys that come in to work in an outdoors environment not wearing sunscreen. I mean, first of all, they have these atrocious farmer's tans from spending 12+ hour days in the sun, yeah, that looks really professional :rolleyes:

And don't they know that all that sun exposure can eventually cause cancer? I mean, we're supposed to be 100% perfect role models all of the time and these guys show up to work with sunglasses tans and peeling noses? Despicable.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've got one. Our scheduled time at work is what time we are supposed to sign on and be available in the system. They pay us 15 minutes prior to that time. Show up and help check the truck. Although we have VSTs so we don't have to check cabinets we still have to get the first out and airway bag off the shelf, check out radios, the computer and the monitor, grab gloves, put trash bags into the garbage cans, make sure there are actually IV bags in the IV warmer, make sure we have all the paperwork we need, ect.

I'm always 20-30 minutes early to work. I'd rather take my time than rush around. It irks me to no end when you have a partner that shows up less than 5 minutes before our scheduled start time. Not only does it make me do all the work to get ready for the day but if we are late signing on that means they are holding another unit over until we do sign on. I know I get mad when trucks are late to sign on and I get held over or the inevitable late call in that situation so I hate doing it to other people.

You know what really gets to me? Those guys that come in to work in an outdoors environment not wearing sunscreen. I mean, first of all, they have these atrocious farmer's tans from spending 12+ hour days in the sun, yeah, that looks really professional :rolleyes:

And don't they know that all that sun exposure can eventually cause cancer? I mean, we're supposed to be 100% perfect role models all of the time and these guys show up to work with sunglasses tans and peeling noses? Despicable.

I should have bought stock in Coppertone at my last job. 4x10s on the beach in 90 degree heat. My tattoos hated me along with my mom.

I will say one thing, I think you're kidding about the farmer's tan and professionalism but I can't tell.

Joe

Forum Captain
I dont think i have ever met anyone on the streets that doesn't have a sunglasses tan. Hell i pride my self on mine!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Mine is working with other girls that can't lift. And have to call for a lift assist for a 200 pound patient.

I think it is a waste and makes me look bad. I can hold my own. Why can't they?

Also anyone, male or female that causes the stretcher to tip back and forth when lifting.

If it happens. I will not work with you again, until you correct the problem.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

aefe55e6-6e0c-a5e5.jpg

I have a farmers tan because I work outside...

My eye doctor told me I should wear sunglasses when I'm outside in the sun so I have sunglasses tan..

My nose peels alot because I'm white. Nothing I do will make it not peel.

If we are supposed to be 100% perfect role models then why does anyone in this field smoke, chew, drink alcohol, ride motorcycles, and/or do anything else dangerous?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
aefe55e6-6e0c-a5e5.jpg

If we are supposed to be 100% perfect role models then why does anyone in this field smoke, chew, drink alcohol, ride motorcycles, and/or do anything else dangerous?

Exactly my point. Why wage a war on one thing (tobacco) when there are other things just as bad or worse?

To be fair I have a journeyman level sunglasses tan and an expert level farmers tan. I was just trying to make a point

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I don't care if you chew at home, in your car or at church. It's your life. Do what you want.

However, there are certain expectations for work. We have to wear a uniform. We have to be clean. We can't use tobacco products. Why is one rule different from the others. If I wanted to come to work wearing salmon colored pants, should I be allowed to?

No. Because we have uniform standards.

If I want to chew at work should I be allowed to?

No, because we have no tobacco use standards.

It's not waging war, it's following the rules that were set in place by the admin. if you don't agree, petition to change the rules or work somewhere else.

Don't, however, expect to not have to face any consequence if you do not follow the rules.

Anjel

Forum Angel
No where around me has such a rule.

So sometimes there are no consequences. It is great your company does. But that doesn't apply to everyone.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
We can't use tobacco products....
If I want to chew at work should I be allowed to?

No, because we have no tobacco use standards.

It's not waging war, it's following the rules that were set in place by the admin. if you don't agree, petition to change the rules or work somewhere else.

Don't, however, expect to not have to face any consequence if you do not follow the rules.
say who? I have quite a few coworkers who smoke like chimneys.

I think the issue isn't tabacco use, but the not following the established rules of the agency.

For example, my agency requires for every inside call, the crew brings in the EMS bag, oxygen, and a carrying device. if you have a cut finger, all that equipment needs to be brought in. it might not be used, but it must be brought in. you want to be lazy and not bring the stairchair inside, that's fine, the first time it's me having a chat with you (coworker to coworker), the second time it's the supervisor having a chat with you, and the 3rd time it's formal discipline.

oh, and if the EMS uniform requires salmon colored pants, you better wear them, even if you don't like them or think they are professional.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I think we're in the same place.

Follow the rules at work, and it's a non issue.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I think we're in the same place.

Follow the rules at work, and it's a non issue.

That's what I was trying to get at.

It's not so much chewing, it is not following the rules.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you insinuated it applied to everyone.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
On coworkers: People that have an obsessive need to backboard everyone.

Company: IFT company owners that see fit to utilize 3 transport crews to move his daughter into her new apartment.

Well what does his daughter look like and is she moving in with any attractive friends?

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Exactly my point. Why wage a war on one thing (tobacco) when there are other things just as bad or worse?

Because there are few things "just as bad or worse", almost none that can be completely eliminated feasibly, few that are visible and contribute to a culture of use, and no others that satisfy all these.

I've probably pointed this out elsewhere, but I believe no tobacco use policies are counterproductive. No smoking policies are a good idea because they improve employee health, improve company image, and may have small beneficial societal effects. Oral tobacco use, especially in spitless form, is much less risky and less visible. Transitioning all employees from smoking to other forms of nicotine use is a more realistic goal than breaking everyone's addictions.

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
I'd rather have coworkers use nicotine gum or patches, by far, than use tobacco. People don't have to chew in order to quit smoking. It might be a way some folks rationalize a really gross habit, but there are other choices one can make that are easier for many coworkers to deal with.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Also anyone, male or female that causes the stretcher to tip back and forth when lifting.

If it happens. I will not work with you again, until you correct the problem.

While I understand your point, I don't understand how you can say you won't work with them? How does your administration feel about that?

Not trying to throw stones but if a two person lift is awkward there is generally blame on both sides, usually lack of communication.

Anjel

Forum Angel
While I understand your point, I don't understand how you can say you won't work with them? How does your administration feel about that?

Not trying to throw stones but if a two person lift is awkward there is generally blame on both sides, usually lack of communication.

I've had this happen twice recently. They could not lift the stretcher empty. Let alone with any weight on it.

It happened on 3-4 calls and after talking with them and trying to help coach a little it wasn't working. I called dispatch and we came back to the station. I've never had a problem with anyone. When someone just let's go of the stretcher or tips it because they can't lift there isn't anything I can do about it.

A lot of people worked with the two and they were ultimately let go.