Leading Chief
Navy handwashing techniques.....

1584291936550.png

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That seems like prudent preparation for the dead body cart

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have absolutely no idea how busy our local 911 system has been but I will not be surprised if we stop responding to low level calls.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Dang, our Dept is cancelling virtually all upcoming training classes, seminars, etc. Even the Captains promotion is no more, my PHTLS class is "postponed indefinitely", same for a handful of other various training stuff 🙁

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Ohio and Illinois closing restaurants and bars. I don't thing there is any way the country can avoid recession with so many people not getting paid.

There is no way to avoid a recession at this point. The market is way down in spite of the feds pulling all the strings available to them and lots of businesses are already hurting and many products that we rely on from China are already hard to get, and we are only at the leading edge of the thing.

I think our near future probably holds widespread "stay home unless you are medical or public safety" orders and martial law.

Our reaction to this thing is going to cause WAY more damage than the virus itself.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Our reaction to this thing is going to cause WAY more damage than the virus itself.

You work in a hospital right? Is your facility not being affected by this?

How do you think the US government should respond?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
There is no way to avoid a recession at this point. The market is way down in spite of the feds pulling all the strings available to them and lots of businesses are already hurting and many products that we rely on from China are already hard to get, and we are only at the leading edge of the thing.
I agree, however once the virus is under control, everything will bounce back.

Yes, the stock market is (understandably) down, and businesses will be hurting for at least a month; but in a few months, everything will bounce back up. Retails supermarkets are making money, cleaning companies are making $$$$, big pharma is getting millions....

Things will slow down, but they will catch up pretty quickly; we just need to get this virus under control, and all the chicken little's in the news media to stop panicking the public by saying the sky is falling.

Summit

Critical Crazy
1584320433904.png

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I've been to hospitals with corona virus pts. Our PCRs now have options to select the CC as "CONFIRMED CORONA VIRUS" and it's the only one in all caps.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
We just got kicked out of a fire station we are based at. They saw us as a risk to their health.
We haven't been kicked out, but some of the fire departments have hand sanitizer wipes and spray by the entrance, a sign in sheet, and we are suppose to utilize those as we walk in.

Oddly enough, I ran an airport call today, and the firefighter told me the stupidest plan ever to minimize contact. First, they asked if they could use our gear instead. Okay? They didn't want to bring in their own equipment. Walking to the gate, he was saying "here is how it is going to be... to minimize contact" speech. His plan was that he'd go on the plane to extricate the patient and move the patient to our gurney to minimize exposure/contact, and then I'll take over/transport from there. To me, I just didn't get it... My equipment. So you are going to contaminate my equipment. On top of that, if the patient is going to be transported, no matter what, I'll be exposed to him. Why don't I make patient contact and you just wait outside? All he was doing was risking exposure to one more person, himself. LOL. I don't know how he thought that through. I just told him OK because I am super passive, but when we showed up, the patient was already off the plane, and I made first contact anyways and cancelled them.

I've been hearing places of firefighters not responding to calls or waiting outside while EMS goes inside. I think that's how it should be. Non transport firefighters going inside is just adding more potential for exposure for a call that is unlikely to be super critical requiring their help. Even on critical calls, at least in my area, I feel like they are more of a burden than helpful (eg them wanting to put a traction splint on a traumatic arrest is my most famous example of being a burden rather than helpful on a critical call...), and I rather cancel them anyways even if I do need an extra hand.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I just found out one of our local firefighters was infected with COVID19 ended up on a ventilator. It sounds the rest that have been infected with it are doing okay.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I just found out one of our local firefighters was infected with COVID19 ended up on a ventilator. It sounds the rest that have been infected with it are doing okay.
That sounds extra-aggressive. Hope he pulls through.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah. Wonder why 1 guy is critical, but the others aren't, they were most likely exposed to the same strain. Prob has to do with individual medical history and suseptibilities...

They've officially announced a total of 7 confirmed COVID-19 cases here in Hawaii, all believed to be travel related exposures vs community spread.