Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Summit

Critical Crazy
Risk, Benefit, and Ethics of vaccine allocation is discussed in the December 1 CDC ACIP meeting.

Presentation here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2020-12/COVID-02-Dooling.pdf

Of note:

• By the end of December, the number of doses available will be about 40 million, enough to vaccinate 20 million people
    • 21 million HCWs and 3M LTCF residents
  • As of Nov 30, at least 243,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases among HCP, with 858 deaths
  • Long-Term Care Facility (LTCF) residents and staff accounted for 6% of cases and 40% of deaths in the U.S.
    • LTCF modeling demonstrates more cases and death averted at the facility by vaccinating staff compared to vaccinating residents

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Risk, Benefit, and Ethics of vaccine allocation is discussed in the December 1 CDC ACIP meeting.

Presentation here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2020-12/COVID-02-Dooling.pdf

Of note:

• By the end of December, the number of doses available will be about 40 million, enough to vaccinate 20 million people
    • 21 million HCWs and 3M LTCF residents
  • As of Nov 30, at least 243,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases among HCP, with 858 deaths
  • Long-Term Care Facility (LTCF) residents and staff accounted for 6% of cases and 40% of deaths in the U.S.
    • LTCF modeling demonstrates more cases and death averted at the facility by vaccinating staff compared to vaccinating residents
This is interesting, though again with the modeling. Not sure how trustworthy that is anymore.

Either way, surprises me, but to flat out say they are not at risk is like saying I shouldnt vaccinate my kid cause yours is vaccinated.

Capital

Forum Probie
It's absolutely true that you can't make ICU nurses out of thin air. I'm an ED RN (and a reasonably good one at that). While I do provide care for ICU patients, that's not the ONLY thing that I do, so I'm not an expert at it. Move me to the ICU and I'd best be used for providing care for "soft" ICU patients so that I can free-up the actual ICU nurses to care for the patients that need their expertise. It would still take me MONTHS to cross-train to ICU to the point where I'd become proficient.
This, so much this.
We're holding ICU patients *alongside* my other patients, without critical care support staff, proper equipment or training. Last night we had an adult cardiac arrest and a pediatric unresponsive come in 2 minutes apart. A full department, 20 in the waiting room and the HEAR never stopped ringing. Our ICU is full and working 3:1, and every ICU within 100 miles is on treat and transfer status. Code black.
This is so beyond anything I've ever seen.

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Rumor is my agency will be getting the Moderna vaccine by the end of the month (pending FDA approval)

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Rumor is my agency will be getting the Moderna vaccine by the end of the month (pending FDA approval)
Were getting the Pfizer version this month. Im scheduled to get it week after Christmas

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We're supposed to be in the first group of people to get them here in Hawaii (First Responders and Healthcare Workers).

From what we've heard its voluntary, but if you don't want it you'll have to sign a refusal form essentially.

Its supposed to be the one that you have to get a follow up shot 6 months later or something like that, not sure if thats a specific vaccine 9r if they're all like that though.

A lot of guys aren't too thrilled though. They're not "anti-Vax" but most of the opposition I've heard out loud in the stations is more that they don't like the idea if being the Guinea Pigs, that we'll find out some horrible side effects in 6 months when half the Department keels over.

So it'll be interesting to see just how many actually sign a refusal and how many go ahead and get the shot. Personally I dont like being a Guinea Pig either, but I think ill just go ahead and get the vaccine, hopefully im not a zombie in 3 months or something lol

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
We're supposed to be in the first group of people to get them here in Hawaii (First Responders and Healthcare Workers).

From what we've heard its voluntary, but if you don't want it you'll have to sign a refusal form essentially.

Its supposed to be the one that you have to get a follow up shot 6 months later or something like that, not sure if thats a specific vaccine 9r if they're all like that though.

A lot of guys aren't too thrilled though. They're not "anti-Vax" but most of the opposition I've heard out loud in the stations is more that they don't like the idea if being the Guinea Pigs, that we'll find out some horrible side effects in 6 months when half the Department keels over.

So it'll be interesting to see just how many actually sign a refusal and how many go ahead and get the shot. Personally I dont like being a Guinea Pig either, but I think ill just go ahead and get the vaccine, hopefully im not a zombie in 3 months or something lol
My thoughts exactly. Not excited about it but I’ll most likely do it too. We haven’t heard anything on our end, but being federal who knows when we will get it. Wouldn’t surprise me if I show up to work one day and they tell us to go down and get the shot or quit.

RedBlanketRunner

Any updates on potential allergic reactions to the shot? That is one extremely broad precaution statement.
"People with a history of significant allergic reactions should not have the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid jab, regulators say."

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Any updates on potential allergic reactions to the shot? That is one extremely broad precaution statement.
"People with a history of significant allergic reactions should not have the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid jab, regulators say."
Nope... But the UK is saying two people so far have had reactions.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
PA should have it here by the end of the week. EMS is at the front of the line to get it, although I don’t know where I fall on that list. As an aside, our region is close to crisis stage with small agencies being totally decimated by COVID related outages. Sone of the smaller hospitals are totally full.

RedBlanketRunner

So us several million anaphylactoid or worse sufferers are S.O.L. and have to rely heavily on the mask and distancing cooperation as our front line. Or bite the bullet and risk going through that end all be all toes to hair line mega itch for a week or two.
I'll say the redundant and obvious; vaccine aint no silver bullet.

NomadicMedic

So us several million anaphylactoid or worse sufferers are S.O.L. and have to rely heavily on the mask and distancing cooperation as our front line. Or bite the bullet and risk going through that end all be all toes to hair line mega itch for a week or two.
I'll say the redundant and obvious; vaccine aint no silver bullet.

don’t you have antibodies?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
How to get your post nuked from this thread:

1) Post in all caps that your rant comes from government websites so it is not fake news
2) fail to post a link back to the sources of your claims
3) post anti-vaccine rants with no supportive evidence for your claims

I'm not calling out any particular member, because it's happened more than once. I'm just reminding everyone that you need to post links back to the sources of your claims so they can be properly evaluated.

RedBlanketRunner

don’t you have antibodies?
Very poor. I'm elderly with a couple of chronic conditions.

And just to set the record straight, I am very much pro vaccine. Aside from knowing the basic science, have semi functional pre-frontals able to weigh the lesser of evils, and I worked with a medical team through the heartbreaking aftermath a rubella outbreak that anti vaxxers had mowed through.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
This, so much this.
We're holding ICU patients *alongside* my other patients, without critical care support staff, proper equipment or training. Last night we had an adult cardiac arrest and a pediatric unresponsive come in 2 minutes apart. A full department, 20 in the waiting room and the HEAR never stopped ringing. Our ICU is full and working 3:1, and every ICU within 100 miles is on treat and transfer status. Code black.
This is so beyond anything I've ever seen.
Where the hell are you guys working? It is nothing like that where I am from. EMS volumes ways down... ER census way down. ICU maybe a little higher census, but not near capacity. Literally, laying off ER staff and or EMS.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Where the hell are you guys working? It is nothing like that where I am from. EMS volumes ways down... ER census way down. ICU maybe a little higher census, but not near capacity. Literally, laying off ER staff and or EMS.
Wish it was like that here. EMS call volume is up. ED volume is up. ICU patients being held in the ED for 96+ hours, only 4.1% of ICU beds available. Sometime later this week we will being doing a surge transfer of a an entire PICU so it can be converted to a COVID ICU overflow. Nurses are being pulled from the floors, given one day of training, and then being told they are now going to take care of ICU level patients. My flight company is starting to make agreements with hospitals that should the need arise we will be sent over to help with whatever is needed from doing triage in the ED to operating vents in the hospital. We are also starting to collect all of our spare vents and have them prepped to be sent out to local hospitals.

Some of the hospitals are already having to RSI patients due to no more HFNC or CPAP/BiPAP machines being available.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
PA should have it here by the end of the week. EMS is at the front of the line to get it, although I don’t know where I fall on that list. As an aside, our region is close to crisis stage with small agencies being totally decimated by COVID related outages. Sone of the smaller hospitals are totally full.
Who will distribute it for EMS? My employer, my regular doctor or someone else?

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Wish it was like that here. EMS call volume is up. ED volume is up. ICU patients being held in the ED for 96+ hours, only 4.1% of ICU beds available.
Pretty much the same going on where I work too. ICU capacity at some hospitals is ZERO available beds. Apparently my county is starting to utilize the "surge" beds that haven't been utilized thus far this year. I quite suspect that hospitals are starting to send home patients that would normally be admitted, of course those patients would be those with relatively mild symptoms that would only be managed on a med/surg floor and not need IV fluids or IV meds. Some of those patients are getting an infusion of Bamlanivimab before going home. I don't see things getting much better for a while. This is, I think, the Thankgiving covid surge.

NomadicMedic

Who will distribute it for EMS? My employer, my regular doctor or someone else?

The distribution plan is still being decided. It will not come from your employer, and most likely not from your PCP. At present, the vaccine will probably be delivered at a hospital. That is subject to change.