Career Advice.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Considering where you are in your education (as relayed so far), my advice is going to be very similar to others above. Since you're going for a mid-level type practitioner, skip Paramedic and plan to take as direct a path as you can toward that goal. Everything else is going to be extra and will slow you down. Paramedic is nice, but it won't get you to where you want to be in any reasonable timeline. I'm a Paramedic and an RN. I have a Sports Med Bachelors. I did them all through a traditional route.

I would strongly recommend going for PA vs NP (even over a GEPN program) because you'll still have to do a number of hard science courses (with lab) for entry to either anyway. So that time is a given. After that, you'll spend roughly 1-2 years doing RN and then another 1.5-2 years doing NP. With PA, you'll be done in 2-3 YEARS and you'll have more flexibility as to what area of medicine you want to work.

As others have stated above, PA schools are pretty consistent and they turn out a consistent product. NP programs aren't as consistent as they heavily rely on previous knowledge. PA programs will basically take you from zero to practitioner in a consistent and safe progression as they will teach you what you need to know along the way. NP programs also turn out a product that is more specialized. If you're an FNP, that's what you'll primarily do. If you're an ACNP, that's what you'll do. If you're a Peds NP or Psych NP... yep - that's what you'll do. To go do something else will require a return to the classroom.

For me, my own path was chosen for practical reasons. At this point, if I want to become an NP or a PA, I have some additional coursework to do. For NP that means getting a BSN first or convincing admissions that I have equivalent training... and likely a couple additional science courses w/ lab. PA would be faster for me, but I'd be heavily reliant on financial aid for the time I'm not working. For NP, some programs are flexible enough to allow me to work.

An accelerated BSN would have been bad for me financially at the time and at the time a 2nd Bachelors (traditional) wasn't an option as the University wasn't yet accepting students for 2nd Bachelors in any field/program.

In the end, what you really need to do is figure out exactly what your end goal is (your finish line) and map out how to from there to here... yes, do it in REVERSE because that's how you'll best figure out what you need to do to get there once you've completed the exercise. It's basically reverse engineering your goal. PA or NP? How to get that... PA or NP school. How to get that? Find out all the entry requirements for them. How to get to completing all the entry requirements? Find out what the prerequisite courses are for all those courses the PA/NP school require for admission... and what are the prerequisites for those prerequisites. Continue on until you've reached a point where you've got EVERYTHING checked off and you then have a map of how to get to your end goal in its most direct form.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I agree with the above, go for PA. I do not know about Yale specifically but in general I despise direct entry NP programs. PA education was designed to be a standalone program. NP education was designed to be a natural progression and advancement for experienced RNs. Most of these programs really do not fill the gap.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'll be the bad guy. Based on your responses thus far, I assess that you lack the understanding, competency, and maturity to complete the rigorous prerequisites and even more rigorous program to become an advanced practice clinician. Perhaps I am off target, but you came here seeking career advice. Some things aren't for everyone. Being an advanced medical provider is among them... Especially those who willfully seek shortcuts to get there.

While you mean well and may achieve many successes in your life, you have represented yourself poorly and demonstrated that at the present time you aren't ready. Work as an EMT for a little while and gain some more experience.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Work as an EMT for a little while and gain some more experience.
respectfully disagree. EMT won't help the OP determine if they can handle advanced medical education. After all:
I have completed all the non science requirements and I only have to Complete A&P 1&2, Chem 1&2, Micro or Biochem.
Those science classes are no joke. Might want to throw Organic Chem in as well. If you can get A's in all those classes, especially without a science background, you might be ready for the rigors of PA or NP school. I've taken them all (except bio chem, but I took organic chem, and passed it), and those grades will affect your entrance to PA school more than being a lab rat for your doctor friend.

PA school is not joke. NP school, especially with no experience, is no joke. Both programs are science heavy, and I would imagine even more challenging than paramedic school. You seem to be putting the cart before the horse in trying to decide which path to take. At your current level, you don't have the prerequisites completed to get into any program.

Here is my advice: complete ALL the perquisite classes for the programs you are interested in. This includes all the sciences that you have never taken. See how your grades are in those program. If you get good grades, than go for PA school, as it is designed to take you from zero to hero. NP school builds on RN fundamentals, so if you want to do a zero to NP programs, research what the job market is for a new grad NP with 0 RN experience. I suspect it won't be that great.

Maybe we are all wrong, and you will show us that you will become a successful allied health provider, but you asked for advice, and that's mine.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
respectfully disagree. EMT won't help the OP determine if they can handle advanced medical education.

Respectfully, that is my point. I was trying to be nice. I don't think this person can handle an advanced medical education at this point in their life.

Also, while your strategy to success is well stated, you are using the term "allied health provider" incorrectly. PAs and NPs are not considered allied health; technically they are "mid-level providers," while some do not appreciate the terminology and prefer just "provider." Allied health is more like Rad techs, MAs, RTs, dieticians, dental hygienists, etc.
Just food for thought.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Also, while your strategy to success is well stated, you are using the term "allied health provider" incorrectly. PAs and NPs are not considered allied health; technically they are "mid-level providers," while some do not appreciate the terminology and prefer just "provider." Allied health is more like Rad techs, MAs, RTs, dieticians, dental hygienists, etc.
Just food for thought.
My apologies, I meant no disrespect to either PAs or NPs, and was incorrect about their job categorization.

I will use the correct term of mid-level provider in the future.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
@DrParasite, no need to apologize. Just trying to help a brother out.
The most apropros term would be "advanced practice provider" ;) No one dislikes that title/terminology.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll be the bad guy. Based on your responses thus far, I assess that you lack the understanding, competency, and maturity to complete the rigorous prerequisites and even more rigorous program to become an advanced practice clinician. Perhaps I am off target, but you came here seeking career advice. Some things aren't for everyone. Being an advanced medical provider is among them... Especially those who willfully seek shortcuts to get there.

While you mean well and may achieve many successes in your life, you have represented yourself poorly and demonstrated that at the present time you aren't ready. Work as an EMT for a little while and gain some more experience.

Thats harsh, but on the flip side the prerequisite courses can be a quite humbling and very transformative of people's work ethic and maturity for those who make it through.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
The program the OP refers to does not actually require any nursing background for admission. https://nursing.yale.edu/academics/graduate-entry-prespecialty-nursing-gepn

There are not a ton of these "GEPN" programs but by the looks of it you take the requisite nursing courses early on and are required to get a nursing license to continue after that point.

I am surprised, but also somehow not at all surprised, that these programs exist.
One of my NP's is a graduate of the Yale Univ School of Nursing GEPN program and she runs the Endocrinology unit at Middlesex hospital. She's also the Clinical instructor as well. I know in Connecticut, Nurse practitioners have full practice rights and can practice independently. Which makes it an attractive option for me. https://www.aanp.org/advocacy/state/state-practice-environment

Mass General hospital in Boston mass has a similar GEPN program and you can even take the Prereqs online through them as well. Here's the link. https://www.mghihp.edu/overview/direct-entry-master-science-nursing-program

They even have the Online preq's program too. https://www.mghihp.edu/overview/online-prerequisites

Also, Univ of Penn has a direct BSN/MSN program as well. https://www.nursing.upenn.edu/academics/accelerated-options/bsn-msn/

Also Univ of New England has the Science prereq's that you can take online as well. https://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/

The one PA program I am looking at is at RIT because they are also home to the NITD which is the National technical Institute for the Deaf and I would pay a much lower tuition because of my deaf disability. https://www.rit.edu/study/physician-assistant-bs-ms

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Considering where you are in your education (as relayed so far), my advice is going to be very similar to others above. Since you're going for a mid-level type practitioner, skip Paramedic and plan to take as direct a path as you can toward that goal. Everything else is going to be extra and will slow you down. Paramedic is nice, but it won't get you to where you want to be in any reasonable timeline. I'm a Paramedic and an RN. I have a Sports Med Bachelors. I did them all through a traditional route.

I would strongly recommend going for PA vs NP (even over a GEPN program) because you'll still have to do a number of hard science courses (with lab) for entry to either anyway. So that time is a given. After that, you'll spend roughly 1-2 years doing RN and then another 1.5-2 years doing NP. With PA, you'll be done in 2-3 YEARS and you'll have more flexibility as to what area of medicine you want to work.

As others have stated above, PA schools are pretty consistent and they turn out a consistent product. NP programs aren't as consistent as they heavily rely on previous knowledge. PA programs will basically take you from zero to practitioner in a consistent and safe progression as they will teach you what you need to know along the way. NP programs also turn out a product that is more specialized. If you're an FNP, that's what you'll primarily do. If you're an ACNP, that's what you'll do. If you're a Peds NP or Psych NP... yep - that's what you'll do. To go do something else will require a return to the classroom.

For me, my own path was chosen for practical reasons. At this point, if I want to become an NP or a PA, I have some additional coursework to do. For NP that means getting a BSN first or convincing admissions that I have equivalent training... and likely a couple additional science courses w/ lab. PA would be faster for me, but I'd be heavily reliant on financial aid for the time I'm not working. For NP, some programs are flexible enough to allow me to work.

An accelerated BSN would have been bad for me financially at the time and at the time a 2nd Bachelors (traditional) wasn't an option as the University wasn't yet accepting students for 2nd Bachelors in any field/program.

In the end, what you really need to do is figure out exactly what your end goal is (your finish line) and map out how to from there to here... yes, do it in REVERSE because that's how you'll best figure out what you need to do to get there once you've completed the exercise. It's basically reverse engineering your goal. PA or NP? How to get that... PA or NP school. How to get that? Find out all the entry requirements for them. How to get to completing all the entry requirements? Find out what the prerequisite courses are for all those courses the PA/NP school require for admission... and what are the prerequisites for those prerequisites. Continue on until you've reached a point where you've got EVERYTHING checked off and you then have a map of how to get to your end goal in its most direct form.
I am looking at either NP or PA and If I go either Route, I would specialize in Endocrinology or primary care. The one PA School I am looking at is RIT PA program because they have the NTID and because they are federal run and I am deaf in one ear. I would pay a much lower tuition.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Here's a List of the PA programs in my State of Connecticut

Yale Univ Physician Associate program

Quinnipiac univ PA program

Univ of Bridgeport PA program

Sacred Heart Univ PA program

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Also, since I have my Bachelors of Arts in History and Social science From Eastern Connecticut State University and my EMT, this was what I was thinking as a career options for me. I know I don't want to leave New England because I have good doctors that take care of me.
1. Nurse practitioner
2. Physician Assistant
3. Social work - both BSW and MSW
4. Paramedic
5. Respiratory Therapy

Question for ya, if you were in my Shoes, what track would you have me consider and justify it with a reason for me.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
DJ who plays one song endlessly....you got the experience!
I'm not certain I understand what is actually happening in this thread. I'm feeling like the OP is trolling at this point.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Also, since I have my Bachelors of Arts in History and Social science From Eastern Connecticut State University and my EMT, this was what I was thinking as a career options for me. I know I don't want to leave New England because I have good doctors that take care of me.
1. Nurse practitioner
2. Physician Assistant
3. Social work - both BSW and MSW
4. Paramedic
5. Respiratory Therapy

Question for ya, if you were in my Shoes, what track would you have me consider and justify it with a reason for me.
This is a completely unrealistic expectation. You are the only person who knows how any of these (not particularly related) career fields would play into you life.