Career Advice.

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I have a question for ya. I want to know if this is possible as a career path for me. I have my BA in History and social science from ECSU and I also have my EMT as well. I know I want to go to NP or PA school and I am wondering, If I get an AAS in EMS with a Paramedic license, would it help me land a spot in NP or PA school. The other option I was thinking is that since I have my BA already, I was thinking of just going get my AAS in EMS with a Paramedic license, and work my way into Community Paramedic because that's where I am considering going into as a career path, if NP or PA school doesn't work out. I'm also wondering, is it really worth it to go get my associates degree in EMS to try an land a spot in NP or PA school or just get my Associates in EMS and progress to a community paramedic career.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You need to decide on a final "finish line" so that you may map out your journey. Just because you choose a certain "race", it does not mean once you get there, you cannot enter another race to go down a different course. Make sense? As of right now, you are bouncing all around and planning for multiple options which have you seemingly scattered from my viewpoint.

So decide first...what is your end goal? That choice will dictate which courses to pursue and how best to get there. Since you already have your EMT, if your final goal is PA or NP, anything not going in that direction is a pure distraction and time waster (Paramedic).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If you want to become a PA, don't waste your time or money on a paramedic AAS; they won't care. Ditto nursing school; if that is your goal, complete the requirements, and skip being a paramedic.

Healthcare experience is great (and often required), but grades are more important when you are trying to get in. How were your grades in organic chem? or chemistry and biology? do you have all the course requirements completed to get into PA school? PA school is a ton of work; are you able to take 2 or 3 years off from life (no work, minimal relationships, etc) to complete the program? NP isn't as bad, because nurses have done it while working, but if you don't have an RN, with all the academic prereqs completed, it's a lot of work.

Now, if you want to become a community paramedic, than go for the AAS, but keep in mind that most CPs work for a few years on the truck before they are assigned to a CP spot.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
As @DrParasite said medic really isn't going to help you get into nursing or PA school, or med school for that matter. Most health professionals that don't work in EMS or EM dont usually know or care what the difference between the role of an EMT and a Paramedic, including those who are involved in the admissions process for these programs. They will like that you have some experience in healthcare and that you have the desire to build on you education, so there is value in EMT experience.

If you want to be advanced practice I would recommend PA over NP. PA programs are designed to take candidates with minimal healthcare experience and make them effective in their role in 3 years. NP programs are less intense because they rely on nurses' prior experience at the bedside and their prior BSN education.

Dont be fooled by any of those direct entry NP programs, they are not making good NPs and their graduates have a harder time finding jobs than their peers who had bedside RN experience.

Personally I also think that anyone who wants to be an NP should have been an good RN who enjoyed taking care of patients. APRNs are still nurses, those who go advanced practice and dont take pride in the basics of being a good nurse should have found some other kind of work.

Personally I dont see a lot of value in community paramedic as a concept in the United States, and I doubt it will build in any substantial way. The services that are similar in other countries are provided here by community health nurses, who are also paid more so all the community paramedics end up being in many cases is cheaper labor. Whether a paramedic or nurse visits a purposefully noncompliant DM, COPD, CHF, ESRD, or whatever else doesn't change that pattern of health behavior. Those who abuse the 911 system will still do so even if a medic visits them once in a while.

chbochur

Forum Probie
I have a question for ya. I want to know if this is possible as a career path for me. I have my BA in History and social science from ECSU and I also have my EMT as well. I know I want to go to NP or PA school and I am wondering, If I get an AAS in EMS with a Paramedic license, would it help me land a spot in NP or PA school. The other option I was thinking is that since I have my BA already, I was thinking of just going get my AAS in EMS with a Paramedic license, and work my way into Community Paramedic because that's where I am considering going into as a career path, if NP or PA school doesn't work out. I'm also wondering, is it really worth it to go get my associates degree in EMS to try an land a spot in NP or PA school or just get my Associates in EMS and progress to a community paramedic career.
While others will totally disagree (possibly rightfully so) why don't you look into a paramedic to rn online bridge course and from there move on to np?
Just a thought

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
@chbochur the poster is NOT a Paramedic. Why steer them towards (depending on where you go) to a 9-18 month program to then "bridge" into a field that he could have obtained in the time it took him to become a paramedic?

Also, the "bridge" program at all the schools I am personally aware of, basically allow you to skip the first semester of RN school. It is not that huge of a bridge as you still have 3 semesters and clinicals (Hutchinson CC and similar types excluded) to obtain the ADN....and then of course in most areas to gain meaningful work or move up in the hierarchy, a BSN is then required.

I agree with the others that if end goal is NP or PA, then do not allow yourself to waste time or be distracted by meaningless side pursuits (paramedic), as more often than not, the poster will find themselves aged 40, working as a medic for years and years, still desiring to be a higher level clinician and then trying to find the time and money to go back to school to do what they possibly could have done back when life was "simple". :)

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I am looking at going to NP school because Yale Univ has the GEPN program that doesn't require and prereqs and you only have to score well on the GRE. I would have to brush up on my math to take the GRE for Yale Univ GEPN Program. I know I can get a spot on Yale's GEPN program because my endocrinologist is a Clinical professor and uses me as a lab rat for her class because of my two rare diseases that I have that she shows off to the NP Students at Yale Univ. The other is doing the PA route and Besides my EMT, I have completed all the non science requirements and I only have to Complete A&P 1&2, Chem 1&2, Micro or Biochem. Since I have my BA already, I maybe looking at going to the 5 yr BA/MS PA program. The one I am looking at is RIT because they have a Deaf school that's federally chartered and the tuition is cut low. I also know that RIT has a college EMS group as well.

As for the Paramedic, that's just a backup incase PA and NP school doesn't work out. I know that Community paramedicine is starting to be a thing in the healthcare field and it's starting to be a subspecialty like Flight Paramedics and critical care paramedics.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
While others will totally disagree (possibly rightfully so) why don't you look into a paramedic to rn online bridge course and from there move on to np?
Just a thought
Connecticut, where I am from doesn't have a Paramedic to RN bridge program

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
As @DrParasite said medic really isn't going to help you get into nursing or PA school, or med school for that matter. Most health professionals that don't work in EMS or EM dont usually know or care what the difference between the role of an EMT and a Paramedic, including those who are involved in the admissions process for these programs. They will like that you have some experience in healthcare and that you have the desire to build on you education, so there is value in EMT experience.

If you want to be advanced practice I would recommend PA over NP. PA programs are designed to take candidates with minimal healthcare experience and make them effective in their role in 3 years. NP programs are less intense because they rely on nurses' prior experience at the bedside and their prior BSN education.

Dont be fooled by any of those direct entry NP programs, they are not making good NPs and their graduates have a harder time finding jobs than their peers who had bedside RN experience.

Personally I also think that anyone who wants to be an NP should have been an good RN who enjoyed taking care of patients. APRNs are still nurses, those who go advanced practice and dont take pride in the basics of being a good nurse should have found some other kind of work.

Personally I dont see a lot of value in community paramedic as a concept in the United States, and I doubt it will build in any substantial way. The services that are similar in other countries are provided here by community health nurses, who are also paid more so all the community paramedics end up being in many cases is cheaper labor. Whether a paramedic or nurse visits a purposefully noncompliant DM, COPD, CHF, ESRD, or whatever else doesn't change that pattern of health behavior. Those who abuse the 911 system will still do so even if a medic visits them once in a while.
I have had good NP's and one of them I taught them how to take care of people like me because of my 2 rare diseases. One of the NP's went on to become a director of the LGBT healthcare center because of what she learned from taking care of me. That on top of the fact she got an in on NIH research because of me. The two NP schools I know of that are well known is the Yale Univ School of Nursing and the MGH Institutes of Health professions, which is run by Mass General Hospital

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I am looking at going to NP school because Yale Univ has the GEPN program that doesn't require and prereqs and you only have to score well on the GRE. I would have to brush up on my math to take the GRE for Yale Univ GEPN Program. I know I can get a spot on Yale's GEPN program because my endocrinologist is a Clinical professor and uses me as a lab rat for her class because of my two rare diseases that I have that she shows off to the NP Students at Yale Univ. The other is doing the PA route and Besides my EMT, I have completed all the non science requirements and I only have to Complete A&P 1&2, Chem 1&2, Micro or Biochem. Since I have my BA already, I maybe looking at going to the 5 yr BA/MS PA program. The one I am looking at is RIT because they have a Deaf school that's federally chartered and the tuition is cut low. I also know that RIT has a college EMS group as well.

As for the Paramedic, that's just a backup incase PA and NP school doesn't work out. I know that Community paramedicine is starting to be a thing in the healthcare field and it's starting to be a subspecialty like Flight Paramedics and critical care paramedics.
During my undergrad I wanted to go to PA school and well now I'm a paramedic with a liberal arts degree so take this how you wish:
  • I would not count on anything but your grades to get you into a graduate program of any type with perhaps a little bit of help from your resume.
  • The courses you have left for PA school are intensive and for many (like myself) quite difficult. Your grades in them are even more important than that of your overall GPA during the application process.
  • Even if they aren't required for NP school, you will be exposed to these subjects in an intensive manner. It might serve you well to gain some exposure to them prior to putting down a lot of non-refundable, grad-level money.
  • Everyone I know that went to PA school cast a wide net for programs and only one ended up in a program that they were "eyeing."
  • There is not a formalized community paramedic pathway right now, anywhere. Locally the community college has a non-credit community paramedic course that will assist you in sitting for the ISBC endorsement, which is the only "certification" available presently.
  • Whether your state will recognize it and/or has community health programs written into state rule governing EMS care is another question entirely.
  • If you want to be a paramedic, be a paramedic. If you want to be a PA or NP, don't become a paramedic.
  • That being said, if you have a four year degree, I would not be concerned about getting an AAS enroute to a paramedic certification if you choose to do that. Take some AP, but the other non-core (english, writing, etc), were probably already sufficiently covered with your BA.
  • Consult a real academic advisor at both an NP and PA program before taking any more steps.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
During my undergrad I wanted to go to PA school and well now I'm a paramedic with a liberal arts degree so take this how you wish:
  • I would not count on anything but your grades to get you into a graduate program of any type with perhaps a little bit of help from your resume.
  • The courses you have left for PA school are intensive and for many (like myself) quite difficult. Your grades in them are even more important than that of your overall GPA during the application process.
  • Even if they aren't required for NP school, you will be exposed to these subjects in an intensive manner. It might serve you well to gain some exposure to them prior to putting down a lot of non-refundable, grad-level money.
  • Everyone I know that went to PA school cast a wide net for programs and only one ended up in a program that they were "eyeing."
  • There is not a formalized community paramedic pathway right now, anywhere. Locally the community college has a non-credit community paramedic course that will assist you in sitting for the ISBC endorsement, which is the only "certification" available presently.
  • Whether your state will recognize it and/or has community health programs written into state rule governing EMS care is another question entirely.
  • If you want to be a paramedic, be a paramedic. If you want to be a PA or NP, don't become a paramedic.
  • That being said, if you have a four year degree, I would not be concerned about getting an AAS enroute to a paramedic certification if you choose to do that. Take some AP, but the other non-core (english, writing, etc), were probably already sufficiently covered with your BA.
  • Consult a real academic advisor at both an NP and PA program before taking any more steps.
I am considering looking at NP route because of several NP schools in my area and even Yale University school of Nursing. I know I went to a Liberal arts college and got my BA in History and Social science. I'm looking at my options for what I want to do since I graduated college in 2016. I know since college, I wanted to get my NP and work in Endocrinology with my Doctor and work with the rare disease population.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
No offense OP, however you repeat yourself...a lot. Work on those communication skills, especially if wanting to be a higher level provider of any type. Conversation is fluid, several have attempted to dialogue, you basically rephrase and parrot back. Not conducive to giving you the advice you sought.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
No offense OP, however you repeat yourself...a lot. Work on those communication skills, especially if wanting to be a higher level provider of any type. Conversation is fluid, several have attempted to dialogue, you basically rephrase and parrot back. Not conducive to giving you the advice you sought.
I'm Deaf in one year and I don't hear very well

DrParasite

I'm Deaf in one year and I don't hear very well
yes, but if your vision is good, and fingers work, that shouldn't be affecting your posts on here, correct?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

I am a former paramedic, flight/ICU RN, and current CRNA who is very familiar with the requirements for NP and PA programs and the jobs available to those folks. I'm just going to spitball a handful of points here that might be helpful for you to consider:

• At this point in your career, it will probably be a significantly more straightforward and shorter path for you to become a PA than an NP. Since you already have a bachelor's degree, all you have to do is take the pre-reqs for PA school, obtain the required clinical experience if you don't already have it, apply and get accepted, and complete the 24-36 PA month program. PA programs are quite competitive, so you'll need good grades and a strong application overall. Also, as someone else suggested, you might have to relocate depending on where you get accepted.

• To become an NP on the other hand, you'll first need to get a BSN, which can take anywhere from an intense 12-month accelerated program to two years or so, and will probably require some pre-requisite courses just to get accepted. Then, many (but not all) NP programs require some time spent working as an RN before applying. Then, the NP program itself will be anywhere from 24 months full-time to 4 years part-time.

• PA programs are very uniform and consistently provide a solid education in the medical model. NP programs are a lot less consistent in terms of rigor and the quality of experience that they provide. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really good NP programs, it's just that there are also quite a few that aren't that great. Also, with nursing school and NP school, you also have to deal with quite a bit of nursey crap that has nothing to do with advanced patient care. On the other hand, there are lots of online and part-time NP programs that give a lot of scheduling flexibility.

• For the most part, PA's and NP's do the same things, for the same compensation. There are some preferences for one vs. the other regionally and within health systems, but most job listings are for "Physician assistant or Nurse Practitioner". As an NP your role is somewhat restricted based on what your concentration was in (i.e. Family NP vs. Pediatric NP). This really varies by state and job market.

• You typically need some clinical experience in order to become a PA. Working as a paramedic would fulfill that for sure, but so will working as an EMT on an ambulance or as a patient care tech. So if you just want to be a paramedic for the sake of being a paramedic, go for it. Paramedic a good thing to do part-time while in school. On the other hand, so is EMT, and it won't require you to spend a year or more becoming a paramedic before starting on the rest of your educational journey. So just think about what you want to do and how time-efficient you want to be.

• Community paramedic is a very different career field from PA/NP. The education, compensation, and opportunities are far less for a paramedic.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Thanks everyone for the Advice and one question. Since I have all my Non Science classes done for PA/NP school. What science classes would I need for them and I know some NP schools say I don't need the lab portion and some require the GRE like MGH and Yale Univ.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I am a former paramedic, flight/ICU RN, and current CRNA who is very familiar with the requirements for NP and PA programs and the jobs available to those folks. I'm just going to spitball a handful of points here that might be helpful for you to consider:

• At this point in your career, it will probably be a significantly more straightforward and shorter path for you to become a PA than an NP. Since you already have a bachelor's degree, all you have to do is take the pre-reqs for PA school, obtain the required clinical experience if you don't already have it, apply and get accepted, and complete the 24-36 PA month program. PA programs are quite competitive, so you'll need good grades and a strong application overall. Also, as someone else suggested, you might have to relocate depending on where you get accepted.

• To become an NP on the other hand, you'll first need to get a BSN, which can take anywhere from an intense 12-month accelerated program to two years or so, and will probably require some pre-requisite courses just to get accepted. Then, many (but not all) NP programs require some time spent working as an RN before applying. Then, the NP program itself will be anywhere from 24 months full-time to 4 years part-time.

• PA programs are very uniform and consistently provide a solid education in the medical model. NP programs are a lot less consistent in terms of rigor and the quality of experience that they provide. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really good NP programs, it's just that there are also quite a few that aren't that great. Also, with nursing school and NP school, you also have to deal with quite a bit of nursey crap that has nothing to do with advanced patient care. On the other hand, there are lots of online and part-time NP programs that give a lot of scheduling flexibility.

• For the most part, PA's and NP's do the same things, for the same compensation. There are some preferences for one vs. the other regionally and within health systems, but most job listings are for "Physician assistant or Nurse Practitioner". As an NP your role is somewhat restricted based on what your concentration was in (i.e. Family NP vs. Pediatric NP). This really varies by state and job market.

• You typically need some clinical experience in order to become a PA. Working as a paramedic would fulfill that for sure, but so will working as an EMT on an ambulance or as a patient care tech. So if you just want to be a paramedic for the sake of being a paramedic, go for it. Paramedic a good thing to do part-time while in school. On the other hand, so is EMT, and it won't require you to spend a year or more becoming a paramedic before starting on the rest of your educational journey. So just think about what you want to do and how time-efficient you want to be.

• Community paramedic is a very different career field from PA/NP. The education, compensation, and opportunities are far less for a paramedic.
I am looking at doing NP and PA route and I am looking at some that have a 5 year BS/MS in PA and some NP schools as well. I have considered Paramedic as a BACKUP in case the other two don't work out for me.

DrParasite

Thanks everyone for the Advice and one question. Since I have all my Non Science classes done for PA/NP school. What science classes would I need for them and I know some NP schools say I don't need the lab portion and some require the GRE like MGH and Yale Univ.
Every PA school has different requirements, including class requirements. most science classes require labs to count. I would imagine the same would apply to NP schools, so you should check with MGH and Yale U for what they require. meet or speak to one of their admissions advisers, they can tell you what they require. there is no easy answer, or one size fits all, and you will need to do some legwork and research on the individual programs that you want to apply for.

When I was looking at PA school, they required Bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, Organic Chem 1, Microbiology 1, all with labs when appropriate, with a minimum grade of C in every class for it to count but realistically you need either an A or B to have a chance of getting in. And all of those classes are a ton of work. For example, at Lemoyne University' s Physician Assistant program, they require:
Successful completion of the following courses with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.2. In order for courses to count towards the prerequisites, a "C" or better must be earned.
  • Biology I with lab and Biology II with lab for science majors
  • Two upper-level (numbered 200+) biology courses for science majors, labs required*
  • Two upper-level (numbered 200+) biology courses for science majors, NO labs required*
  • Two semesters of general chemistry for science majors, labs required
  • One semester of organic chemistry or biochemistry (a general "survey" course covering organic and biochemistry together will not count towards the prerequisite)
  • Two semesters selected from the following: statistics, calculus or physics
  • Two semesters of social science
  • One semester of English Composition or Technical Writing
  • * If the upper-level biology courses were taken over five years ago, four additional upper-level biology courses must be taken.
  • Knowledge and practical skills in basic computing (no specific course required)

So like I said, check with your individual school to learn what their course prerequisite classes are for their individual program.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
You talk about going to NP school, yet you aren’t an RN. You can’t skip straight to NP. NURSE Practitioner.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You talk about going to NP school, yet you aren’t an RN. You can’t skip straight to NP. NURSE Practitioner.
The program the OP refers to does not actually require any nursing background for admission. https://nursing.yale.edu/academics/graduate-entry-prespecialty-nursing-gepn

There are not a ton of these "GEPN" programs but by the looks of it you take the requisite nursing courses early on and are required to get a nursing license to continue after that point.

I am surprised, but also somehow not at all surprised, that these programs exist.