Bullet Proof Vests?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
How will you ever be in the line of fire if you can't even make it on scene since there is already an ambulance there?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I also can't stress enough, in addition to body armor, that your ambulance should have installed 5-point restraints for the driver as well as NASCAR helmets and flame retardant suits for those times you need to "run hot" through red lights on your way to buff calls.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I don't remember who used this as their signature, but I'm shamelessly stealing/paraphrasing it.

Seatbelts and treadmills would save far more lives in EMS than bulletproof vests. Start with the basics ladies and gents.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don't remember who used this as their signature, but I'm shamelessly stealing/paraphrasing it.

Seatbelts and treadmills would save far more lives in EMS than bulletproof vests. Start with the basics ladies and gents.

JPINFV, I believe.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
I have on multiple occasions have been the first EMS on scene, for the record.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I have on multiple occasions have been the first EMS on scene, for the record.
Listen. You are completely missing the point of what we collectively have attempted to convey to you through the past few threads. Step back. Take a break. Go do something else. Come back to EMS. Reread all of these posts and look at how silly you're making yourself sound. Look, I know that you're new and excited and that's good and all, but you have to channel that energy and spirit productively. Right now, you're not doing yourself, nor your patients a service by being the provider that you think you are.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Tell that to the 40 vollies in nyc
The volunteers who don't serve a purpose? Gladly. Let me know how to get a hold of them and I'll gladly tell them to stop playing hobbyist.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The volunteers who don't serve a purpose? Gladly. Let me know how to get a hold of them and I'll gladly tell them to stop playing hobbyist.
I'll do a follow up phone call with them

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
So I spoke to a FDNY EMS friend he says FDNY EMS issues them concealable body armor but they almost never wear it unless ordered to which is rare. External armor is approved for use but has to be out of pocket.

Anyone who works bedstuy let me know if you would recommend wearing.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Dude, everyone has already answered your question. There is nothing more that can be gleaned from beating this dead horse.

If you want to continue this, please go down to your local volunteer ambulance corps and discuss the merits of buffing calls, lights on POVs, running hot through gridlock, and wearing body armor on dialysis transfers with like minded souls. You're clearly not getting the gratification you desire here.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
My guy is at coney island. I was hoping to hear from guys at bed stuy, east new york, etc

Dont be mean. Im a nice guy newbie that appreciates the community that helps me in my journey to become experienced.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My guy is at coney island. I was hoping to hear from guys at bed stuy, east new york, etc

Dont be mean. Im a nice guy newbie that appreciates the community that helps me in my journey to become experienced.
Except you still act like an idiot and don't actually listen. Nyc ems isnt the end all be all. And they're not, in terms or practice, the best in yhe country by a long shot

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Who says I wanna be the best in the country? I just wanna do NYC 911

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Adam, there is no sense in asking for people's opinions and experiences when you continually choose to ignore the good advice that is offered to you. In every post you have made on this forum, you've come in with an entrenched belief that runs contrary to best practices and evidence.

Dozens of EMS providers with collectively hundreds of years of experience in EMS and tens of thousands of calls run have explained to you time and time again why we think some of your beliefs represent safety problems to you, the general public, your patients, or all three. We have presented evidence, studies, experiences from your area and across the country. In every case, you have continued to use only your previously held beliefs as justification to dig in even deeper on your original opinions!

I can only speak for myself, but I love having new people use the forum as a resource to ask questions and learn. That's where our value lies. We share information across long distances between people who otherwise would never have had the opportunity to interact. If you genuinely want to learn, as a "newbie" or grizzled veteran from the time of the dinosaurs, we are more than grateful to have you here. If instead though you continue to deliberately disregard everything anyone says that doesn't fall in line with what you already think, I don't know what we can offer you.

Just some friendly advice.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Hey look i'm entitled to disagree right? I definitely agree with yall on the traffic thing. Thing is, that's what I been doing. I'm not going to persist with sirens past 10-15 seconds. I give up and turn them off. With the buffing, I'm apart of a huge NYC volunteer community that all have similar practices. If I listened to you guys, I might as well quit the volly because I don't want to potentially have an accident, compromising my much-needed experience for a 911 job. As for the armor, I would like to hear from guys in the areas and what they do and if they recommend it. Not too much to ask. Thanks for the help. I would also like to thank whoever is using tapatalk which makes it easier for me to post from my iphone6 :)

khaysley

Forum Probie
If I listened to you guys, I might as well quit the volly because I don't want to potentially have an accident, compromising my much-needed experience for a 911 job :)

Hey AdamNYC, I'm by no means a expert or anything my classes don't even start until the 17th but didn't you get experience/hours when you were in school to get your EMT??? In my school we have mandated hours you get while in class... Does these hours not count for you?

An regards to bullet proof vest. I really feel that it kind of counterproductive to the work environment for the prehospital setting... if patient don't feel you trust them to not hurt you they aren't going to trust you. These is at least in my experience with in the health field working with clients that I would go to their house and provide care and other needs. Even in the pharmacy that I volunteer at for work based hours these is true. You also won't be able to work very well with one on at least in my experience. My friend's dad is a sheriff and he had all of us come over and try them out while we learned CPR. It wasn't easy to do with them on.