Bullet Proof Vests?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I also don't really understand donning body armor for calls involving violent crime. If you know it's a violent crime, aren't you going to stage until law enforcement arrives? I realize that this does not guarantee safety but you are likely safer at that sort of scene than on your run of the mill "unknown medical" when PD is not on scene or coming.

Given that it seems that if you're going to wear one, you need to be wearing it all the time. And for me, at my job(s), that is just not realistic. I'd constantly be taking it on and off and I'm sure my grandpa back would not be a fan of it either.

The only time I could see wearing one would be for "warm zone" operations at some short of spree shooting where PD believes that they have the shooter but still have not yet done a full sweep of the building. Obviously this is done with a team of dedicated officers for your support and protection, and the goal is to get in and get out with the patients.

And one last hit, I don't make a habit of sitting around at scenes where crimes have been committed. Put the patient in the ambulance and get a little bit away and then stop if you feel the need. No need to hang around such a scene. Make the scene safe by leaving it...

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Bg2LbU3CEAEiMCY.jpg-large.jpeg

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
The day I need to wear a vest to work is the day I start looking for a new job. My life is too valuable and the pay isnt good enough. If I wanted that level of danger I would join the military.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
No such thing as a bullet proof vest. Even my ~35-40lb military hard plate IOTV wont stop every round it's likely to face in the event my Reserve unit actually gets called up. I wouldn't trust my FD issue soft armor vest to stop anything more than a 9mm or so. Policy is to wear them on shootings and stabbings and other violent incidents where we feel they are warranted....after nearly a year here, I've never actually put it on more than once or twice for sizing or inventory drills as the new guy.

Rin

Forum Captain
Crime is pretty high in my city, with incidences of shootings and stabbings being pretty common. We're also a hot spot for drug overdoses.

If I worked 911 in the city I live in, I wouldn't say no to a vest.

It's easy to say that I'll only find myself in danger if I make poor decisions. But I can't say my decisions are always perfectly wise.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
A poll for this question should be:

Bullet resistant Vest on duty?

A-Yes. My safety is of great concern.

B-No. Do not feel it is warranted.

C-I want to look cool while ordering my burger in Wendys

D- I'm struggling to get into my EMS pants so its Body Armor, plates and pressups for 12 hour shifts

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
If I wouldn't be smelly that sounds like a good idea to pass the time

It does rile me when people try to incorporate physical exercise into a shift when they knowingly cannot shower after

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
C
Final answer

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
AMR allows you to use your wellness dollars towards "bullet proof" vests.

You get $200 wellness dollars a year.

You can buy a surplus police vest for about $180-$300 at bulletproofme.com

For all you guys who feel this job is sooooo dangerous.

Most of the vests are concealed vests, worn under the uniform shirt, and are slim/lightweight Kevlar panels as to be somewhat hidden.

I have one that I used to use at a different job. I never wear it now. But if I was wearing it- you wouldn't be able to tell.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I should note that the ones we are issued are soft panel and I wouldnt trust it against anything more than a 9mm. Other than that, probably better off throwing the vest at the dude and go at em like a spider monkey.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
... probably better off throwing the vest at the dude and go at em like a spider monkey.

Looks like we have new TTP's guys. ;)

Sheesh.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I oppose a ballistics vest mandate, but I have chosen to wear a ballistics vest for the past 7 years, both when I am working traditional 911 and when I am in my role as a Community Paramedic. The latter role is one that I recently decided on with the rash of random violence against public safety folks. I work in Minneapolis, a generally very safe city, but there are genuine whack-jobs everywhere. About 30% of my agencies Paramedics wear a ballistics vest (Reimbursement of $300 from the hospital and $300 from the union), about half of them wear their vest concealed, the rest use an external carrier that matches their khaki/silvertan uniform shirt well.

It isn't the violent patient that I fear getting shot by. It isn't walking into homeless encampments that I anticipate being shanked. It isn't the excited delirium patient that I think is going to wallop on me. It is the plotting, unmedicated, delusional psychopath with a chip on their shoulder about the government that doesn't give a damn about what "government" employee they shoot, just as long as they fulfill their delusion. I drive around by myself in a squad car all day without a partner's 2nd set of eyes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/24/webster-new-york-firefighter-shot/1788917/
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/0...ncil-meeting-interrupted-by-sounds-of-gunfire
http://www.odmp.org/officer/22309-police-officer-rafael-ramos
http://www.odmp.org/officer/22310-police-officer-wenjian-liu
Were any of these people planning on getting shot? No. Were any of these people in situations any different than we would expect to be in during the course of a typical shift? Nope. City Council Meeting, Structure Fire, Stand-By.
Have you ever used the fire extinguisher under your kitchen sink? Probably Not. Nice to know it is going to be there when you need it though. Will it stop every fire? Nope, but it's better than nothing...

If you are looking at purchasing a vest, my personal recommendation is to spend as much money as you can afford, and then some on yours. I spent $900 on mine and it is comfortable, maneuverable, and a pleasant habit to wear. You truly get what you pay for. You can still, quite easily, Earn Money Sleeping in a well fitted vest.

You also fare much better in a motor vehicle accident while wearing a ballistics vest and it makes getting punched much more pleasant.
It also makes me look like I might have an upper body (I don't. #skinnyguyproblems).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have only seen 1 Medic or EMT (I don't know which one he was) wear a vest. He started after a crew was on scene inside of a residence for a medical aid when a drive by shooting occurred at the residence. From what I heard you could hear the gun fire in the background as the crew was on the radio with dispatch to get PD there. This was at a company I did medic internship with.

For my company I have not seen or heard of anyone wearing vests. However a company not far from mine has a TEMS unit and from the pictures it looks like they are issued vests, gas masks, helmets, and some other things.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
We also have millennium masks, will more than likely never use the thing, but its there.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I wouldn't support a full mandate for normal EMS operations.

I wore a vest for a couple years, and nobody shot me- not even a little. Seriously, it was really hot and uncomfortable. I actually lost a bunch of weight and the vest I had didn't fit anymore. I decided not to spend the money to get a new one.

Roughly 40-50% of my coworkers wear body armor, it's more prevalent among the night crews than day crews.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We also have millennium masks, will more than likely never use the thing, but its there.
I'm more likely to wear that than the hand me down body armor in the ambulance that's for sure. I'm not sure why vests expire, but ours expired along time ago. Meanwhile I have worn the mask once this year...long story but it got some deputies to stop being idiots and nearly got me shot. But alas.

Rin

Forum Captain
I'm more likely to wear that than the hand me down body armor in the ambulance that's for sure. I'm not sure why vests expire, but ours expired along time ago. Meanwhile I have worn the mask once this year...long story but it got some deputies to stop being idiots and nearly got me shot. But alas.

Sounds like an interesting story, you big tease!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

They expire basically because it is a liability issue to the manufacturer if an old vest fails for some reason. So they have some legal backup if they put exp. dates on them. Mine is new but, not really concerned cuz I doubt I will ever actually wear it.