Bullet Proof Vests?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey look i'm entitled to disagree right? I definitely agree with yall on the traffic thing. Thing is, that's what I been doing. I'm not going to persist with sirens past 10-15 seconds. I give up and turn them off. With the buffing, I'm apart of a huge NYC volunteer community that all have similar practices. If I listened to you guys, I might as well quit the volly because I don't want to potentially have an accident, compromising my much-needed experience for a 911 job. As for the armor, I would like to hear from guys in the areas and what they do and if they recommend it. Not too much to ask. Thanks for the help. I would also like to thank whoever is using tapatalk which makes it easier for me to post from my iphone6 :)
I've worked in real bad neighborhoods in Los Angeles and never needed to wear body armor. The only time I even thought about potentially wearing it was on a few shooting scenes, but when we headed in we ended up being on scene for such a short time that taking the time to strap it on would have taken as long as it took to get the patients to the back of the ambulance. Also just because a neighborhood has a reputation for being rough and dangerous doesn't make it so. Regular people live in these neighborhoods also, not every call is going to be a part of the knife and gun club.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
School I went to only sent me for a 12hour shift at an ER. I had to personally goto FDNY EMS to request 4 eight-hour observation tours. I am so glad FDNY EMS does that.

khaysley

Forum Probie
That just seems strange to me giving someone such little experience before giving them their certification. I don't know different state; different game, I guess. We have to have at least 150-180 hours before we can even test in our class.

khaysley

Forum Probie
not all ambulance rides but mostly. That really not a lot if you think about it. That is only 15 - ten hours or 30 - five hours. That's nothing really. I had about that many hours for PHB and we did less in there.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
That just seems strange to me giving someone such little experience before giving them their certification. I don't know different state; different game, I guess. We have to have at least 150-180 hours before we can even test in our class.
Your state is in the minority in that regard, consider yourself lucky.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
fd3f227c5f23683d5706a621433569b8.jpg

Personally I find this most useful on all calls as well.

But really, I have a vest and helmet issued to me. The last time it left my locker was due to a supervisor directly ordering me to at least have it on the truck for a SWAT standby; save your money. [emoji2]

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I don't understand why you would need a vest, New York has some of strictest gun laws.

In all seriousness, I'm not going to knock someone for trying to protect themselves, but will snicker at them when they jump the shark. I Know a guy who carries a Kevlar plate in his clipboard. His reasoning is pure, but I still think it's super silly.

I was giving report to an ER nurse one night. She stopped me mid report and asked, "Why are you wearing a bullet proof vest?" I quickly explained that I wasn't. I'm just fat. Patient got a good hard chuckle out of that.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey look i'm entitled to disagree right? I definitely agree with yall on the traffic thing. Thing is, that's what I been doing. I'm not going to persist with sirens past 10-15 seconds. I give up and turn them off. With the buffing, I'm apart of a huge NYC volunteer community that all have similar practices. If I listened to you guys, I might as well quit the volly because I don't want to potentially have an accident, compromising my much-needed experience for a 911 job. As for the armor, I would like to hear from guys in the areas and what they do and if they recommend it. Not too much to ask. Thanks for the help. I would also like to thank whoever is using tapatalk which makes it easier for me to post from my iphone6 :)

Listen guy. At my previous job, I was shot at on-scene by a fine young gentleman who was later shot by the police. At my new job, we were issued external bullet proof (resistant) vests. Do I wear it? Frick no (would I buy my own? not in a million years). We are required to wear it when we go to a shooting, but even then, there is no point considering there are about 30 police cars there already. Don't feel comfortable about a scene? Don't go in until PD is there. Using your head will keep you a lot safer than some freaking vest.

You have a lot of growing up to do. Which is sad to say to someone who is in their late 20s early 30s.

Last edited:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Scene safety can change in seconds

So you're using this as justification to buy a $500+ vest? Really? If you don't feel comfortable at a scene, then leave and call for PD. If you don't feel comfortable at a scene with PD on scene then I'm sorry man, but thats weak.

All in all you do you man. Spend the money and buy the best tacti-cool high speed vest that money can buy. Then justify pulling it out and wearing it maybe once a year. In EMS you shouldn't even be in the line of fire on a scene of a shooting/ standoff. You're going to be way back out of the action (if there is any). Or are you secretly doing police work while buffing calls?

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
I havent made a decision yet im in the research phase. Im going to speak to folks who work in the areas im going to be working in as well.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We've had people shoot at our ambulances and pull guns on crews. I've never felt the need for a bullet resistant vest. People realize we're there to help and the grumpy ones who don't want out help should be left alone until PD shows up to secure the scene.

broken stretcher

Forum Crew Member
I'm going to be working in Bed Stuy should I wear body armor underneath the whole time or have an external one to wear PRN?

You should be wearing plates and a balletic helmet at all times. Also steel plates on the sides and underneath your ambulance should be welded on. IEDs are the number one killer of EMTs in bed stuy. Also scan the rooftops for RPG teams and watch your six at all times

Reactions: jwk

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Using your head will keep you a lot safer than some freaking vest.

This reminds me of a skating video I watched where the guy addressed the fact that he doesn't always wear a helmet:

"I've been criticized for not wearing a helmet every time I skate, but I have never been criticized for the judgments that have put me at real risk. I guess some people are looking for that magic bullet - a device instead of a procedural and behavioral structure. When in doubt, chicken out!"

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
I personally like the LBT 6049 with ceramic plates and Opscore ballistic helmet

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Wear a vest with plates for all 12-24 hours a shift every shift in the summer and after a couple days let us know how much your enthusiasm for wearing an extra 20-30 pounds (and that's extremely light for a hard plate vest btw) when chances are not a single round even comes your way.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I've worked in the worst parts of town (large urban 911 agency) there are to work in and I've never, ever felt the need for a vest. A sweatshirt maybe, as it gets kinda cold sometimes, but not a bullet proof vest. If someone wore that to work here they'd be laughed at.

Traffic is a far, far greater threat to our safety than the possibility of being shot. Falling down stairs, stepping in holes in yards, slipping on ice.. all greater possibilities than being shot.