Belt Preference

ArcticOkie

Forum Probie
Hey all! I apologize if this topic has been hashed out already, which I'm sure it has, but I could not find anything to help. By all means, if you have a link to share for a previous thread, please share!

I am in EMT school now and one of the instructors prefers a belt that is all Velcro with no buckles and another prefers a traditional riggers style belt. He states he prefers it due to there being no buckle to catch on anything. In the military, I used a riggers belt so that is what I have purchased. I was wondering if anyone uses a Velcro only belt and if so, how do they like it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AO

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I always just wore a regular plain black leather belt you can pick up at any clothing store. Even at my most Bat-belt-esqe where I had a pager, muti-tool, and glove pouch on my belt, that worked just fine. Same type of belt I currently wear with my FD duty uniform.

I did wear a riggers belt with my ACUs when I was still in the Army, so I can't necessarily fault you for wanting one lol, but unless your employer has a uniform policy specifying types of belts to be/not to be worn, wear whatever you feel most comfortable in.

Can't say I've ever seen a pure velcro, no buckle style belt, such an idea just doesnt strike me as super secure, especially as velcro has a bad habit of wearing down overtime and becoming clogged with all sorts of debris...dont want it giving up the ghost in the middle of shift without some sort of buckle to keep it together (just my .02)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I have always worn a standard belt. My current employer issued me a temporary velcro belt while my uniforms came in and it was not my cup of tea. But I also have coworkers that love them so meh.. whatever. Just wear what you prefer as long as your employer does not care.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I have always worn a leather belt. My girlfriend wears one of those velcro belts that helps to hold up her duty belt.

Keep in mind, many EMS agencies actually include what kind of belt you can wear in the uniform policy. For most of a black basket weave belt, but for my agency a plain leather belt is my preference.

I've never had a buckle catch on anything. But then again, my belly would probably get in the way first.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have a velcro belt... it was issued to me by my FD department in NC..... It's a huge waste of money. the whole purpose of a velcro belt is to be worn as an inner belt, so you don't have a second buckle on top of your outer belt (which, in theory, can be uncomfortable). Then you use belt keepers to attach it to the outer duty belt. we don't use outer belts at the FD..... like I said, huge waste of money.

my normal belt was a regular black leather belt, with a normal belt buckle I have worn it under my duty belt, with no problems. in 20 years, it has never caught on anything. and if something catches on the buckle (since that is the only difference between the velcro belt and the leather belt), then apparently I need to lose a couple pounds.

PandaNin

Forum Probie
I have a leather velcro belt where what is essentially the buckle is velcro. The outside layer is leather. It's great for when I'm in a suit or casual.

When in uniform I have a riggers belt with internal stiffener. It also doubles as my gun belt when at the range.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I’ve heard of the Velcro belts as well as the riggers belt but I have never seen EMS/Fire/PD wear them in my area. The vast majority wear a traditional basket weave belt.

I have never had any issues with the basket weave belts. My first one lasted me around 8 years and was still going strong it was just starting to fade.

OP
OP
ArcticOkie

ArcticOkie

Forum Probie
Thanks for all of the responses guys! I have ordered a riggers belt from GovX similar to the one I wore in the Army. Hopefully it works out.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for all of the responses guys! I have ordered a riggers belt from GovX similar to the one I wore in the Army. Hopefully it works out.

Well, thanks for stopping by to tell us you ignored the majority opinion and went with the tacticool option anyway. Enjoy your super cool riggers belt. By any chance, are you a rigger? Do you find yourself in situations where you need to repel emergently often?

Good choice though.

OP
OP
ArcticOkie

ArcticOkie

Forum Probie
Well, thanks for stopping by to tell us you ignored the majority opinion and went with the tacticool option anyway. Enjoy your super cool riggers belt. By any chance, are you a rigger? Do you find yourself in situations where you need to repel emergently often?

Good choice though.
Haha this guy.

Let me rephrase. It is a woven nylon belt. Nothing about it is "tacticool" or used for repelling. Thanks for coming in and showing us all how you add to the constructive discussion that was happening. I'll make sure and come directly to you if I need any advice on anything regarding EMS in my young blossoming career. Jerk.

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have worn an ALL velcro belt for 15 years....

I have gotten anywhere from 4-6 years usage out of it before I replace it...and replacement was NOT for the velcro wearing out, but from the belt itself being reshaped/contoured in certain areas from how I sit, move or where I wear it.

I prefer the all velcro as there is nothing for it to catch on, it is light, very sturdy and easy to clean/maintain.

Having said that, you get what you pay for. My best advice to any newbie regarding boots, belts, shoes....you get what you pay for. There will always be cheaper quality, less costly versions...some areas you just splurge on. Caveat...do NOT buy an expensive stethoscope while still in school. :)

OP
OP
ArcticOkie

ArcticOkie

Forum Probie
I have worn an ALL velcro belt for 15 years....

I have gotten anywhere from 4-6 years usage out of it before I replace it...and replacement was NOT for the velcro wearing out, but from the belt itself being reshaped/contoured in certain areas from how I sit, move or where I wear it.

I prefer the all velcro as there is nothing for it to catch on, it is light, very sturdy and easy to clean/maintain.

Having said that, you get what you pay for. My best advice to any newbie regarding boots, belts, shoes....you get what you pay for. There will always be cheaper quality, less costly versions...some areas you just splurge on. Caveat...do NOT buy an expensive stethoscope while still in school. :)

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I will pick one up and compare the two during class time and clinicals to make a decision about which one I may like to start with after school. What price should look at for a decent one?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I dig the nylon riggers belts because... well you know it's important that everyone recognize me for the swaggering, mountain-man paramedic that I am. But also I just like em. Bought a few from this dude's ebay store, they work fine. Once repelled off one while skiing with P-cord and webbing for funsies, would not recommend.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/jetstreamaeroparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
IMG_5071.JPG

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?