Bad news for the NREMT

JPINFV

Gadfly
No, but they audio and video record you while taking the test, with some person watching the cameras.

True, but if there's a will, there's a way and it's easier to beat the cameras than beat a good ol' pat down.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

I would really be interested in how they were able to bring outside material into the testing stations. When i did my NREMT Paramedic test i had a horrible cold at the time. I wasnt even allowed to bring the kleenex that i had brought in with me, i had to use the tissue they had. I was watched like a hawk through the windows along with the audio/video taping.

Corky

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
It would have been easy to cheat at the center I took my test. The guy told me to sit at any computer in a room full of computers and I was the only one in there. He sat behind his own computer and walked out several times (pretty annoying actually). It was winter so I had a coat and he never asked me to leave it anywhere nor did he check my pockets. I also didn't notice any cameras anywhere.

I don't know why anyone would risk cheating on that exam because it is pretty easy. If you have taken the class you should pass no problem.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Amazing, people cheat and blame the company that presents the test. No, not that their people lacked integrity and as well not saying apparently their people have to resort to cheating to pass the most simplistic tests.

Yeah, blame the NREMT for contracting out to a national testing corporation, let's not really get to the source....

R/r 911

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I think they should make it easier to cheat. That way we can catch more cheaters and weed them out before they embarrass the profession.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Oh,the righteous indignation.

Okay, so a group of individuals cheated on a national registry exam... I think the world, as we know it, will continue to exist. I'm sure no one here has ever done anything as reprehensible as that accused lot. It is pretty entertaining reading though.

I'll take repudiation and incrimination for $200 Alex... -_-

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Just an observation

I have read a couple of the articles. Did I miss something? Because I don't recall reading who discovered the cheating or who did the barring of the test site. Sure reads like the fire department did both but was it them or PearsonVue?

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, this looks really bad.

The more details are revealed the worse it looks. Ouch.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Wow, this looks really bad.

The more details are revealed the worse it looks. Ouch.

Fire departments cheat?... Oh surely not! Even after we have been told how honorable and wonderful they are!

Anyone else rememberAlbuquerque little fiasco and seen that nothing was done about it? Or Tulsa's re-certification blunder and again another sweep under the rug?

Intergrity. honor, servitude..

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
How did they bring "outside material" into the exam? From what I was told by my instructor I can't even wear my weddings rings when I go and take the test.

I was able to bring in one sheet of Kleenex (I had a cold and was dribbling all over) but the staff member who checked me in looked at it before and after the test. I was in awe of her dedication, because that tissue was pretty gnarly after 30 minutes, not gonna lie.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
From a previous news article it seems pretty clear they all wanted to be tested at one particular facility- even tho it was not the closest. Sounds like an inside job to me.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
From a previous news article it seems pretty clear they all wanted to be tested at one particular facility- even tho it was not the closest. Sounds like an inside job to me.

The fact that the FFs knew they had a better chance of cheating at that facility and took advantage of it just lessens their integrity to a new low.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I was able to bring in one sheet of Kleenex (I had a cold and was dribbling all over) but the staff member who checked me in looked at it before and after the test. I was in awe of her dedication, because that tissue was pretty gnarly after 30 minutes, not gonna lie.

:D:D:D:D

Funny right there!

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Fire departments cheat?... Oh surely not! Even after we have been told how honorable and wonderful they are!

Anyone else rememberAlbuquerque little fiasco and seen that nothing was done about it? Or Tulsa's re-certification blunder and again another sweep under the rug?

Intergrity. honor, servitude..

R/r 911

That's a pretty wide bunch you're painting with there. Saying that all fire departments cheat is like saying that all medics have some kind of God complex. Of course, I know that's not true. Stating that fire departments are all corrupt and all cheat is also not true.

It's always the few bad ones that make them all look bad, just like it only takes one bad EMT or medic to make all look like a bunch of loose cannon whackers. That's right up there with someone who told me that all medics and EMTs are "on drugs" and "sleep with their partners."

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That's a pretty wide bunch you're painting with there. Saying that all fire departments cheat is like saying that all medics have some kind of God complex. Of course, I know that's not true. Stating that fire departments are all corrupt and all cheat is also not true.

It's always the few bad ones that make them all look bad, just like it only takes one bad EMT or medic to make all look like a bunch of loose cannon whackers. That's right up there with someone who told me that all medics and EMTs are "on drugs" and "sleep with their partners."

I am only quoting their leaders such as IAFF and IFCA acclaims on why they do not want the NREMT and prefer local tests to be designed to "fit" their system. Now we know why..?

Sorry, true not all are bad. Yet again, I have found very few that can wear but so many hats.. and why should they? I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box but seriously to be proficient in medical care alone is a full time job; not including fire tactics, hazmat, code safety, etc... One can be only so good as a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Look at the news as more and more exposure that is occurring; worse is no action is taken.
If this was the medical community, there would be an outcry!

R/r 911

rmellish

Forum Captain
Washington DC Fire and EMS were the subject of a JEMs article a few months ago regarding their aggressive steps to improve their standing as an EMS system.

From the January 2009 issue:
Article: "From Worst to First? Washington DC Overhauls Its EMS System"

"We hope folks will stay tuned in. We feel strongly that we will meet the challenge to become a premier system, a world class service." - Dennis Rubin (69)

"I think we're going to have one of the best systems in the country and, boy, are we looking forward to that after being on the bottom so long. - Daniel Dugan (69)

The root of the problems above might incidentally be mentioned in the article where it states "DCFEMS firefighters don't have the option: (to remain in a single fire role) they must become certified as EMTs or paramedics." (67)

Kinda sad....

(Can't find it online, here's the citation, look it up yourself)

Garza, Marion. "From Worst to First? Washington DC Overhauls Its EMS System." Journal of Emergency Medical Services 34 (2009): 64-69.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I have found very few that can wear but so many hats.. and why should they? I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box but seriously to be proficient in medical care alone is a full time job; not including fire tactics, hazmat, code safety, etc... One can be only so good as a jack of all trades and a master of none.

I could not agree more!!!! I am very much against fire based EMS for the reasons that each discipline requires so much time and dedication to be the best at each. And its no secret that many Paramedics in cities are only Paramedics or Intermediates because it was required of them for their job to be a Firefighter which is all they really want to do. Most firefighters hate EMS and it shows whenever its forced on them. Patients do not get the same level of care as they would from a dedicated EMS professional.

Lunah

Forum Crew Member
Good grief, when I tested at Pearson VUE, it was like entering Ft. Knox ... all the biometrics and stuff. I was waiting for a retinal scan. In reading the updates, it definitely sounds like they had a person at Pearson.

I get recruitment brochures from DC Fire & EMS all the time -- I live about 75 miles from DC. Gives a whole new twist on the line on the front of the brochure: "Do you have what it takes to work for DC Fire & EMS?" Ha ha ha! :D

medic417

The Truth Provider
For enough money and with a little time you can find someone that will bend the rules.