Bad news for the NREMT

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
"Ironically, one of the reasons why the District selected the NREMT certification process is to ensure test integrity," Chief Dennis L. Rubin said in the statement. "If in fact these allegations are true, the D.C. Fire and EMS Department will be greatly disappointed that both the NREMT and Pearson VUE Training Center failed to meet our expectations."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/23/AR2009042304902.html

Ouch! I wonder how they did it and how it was discovered.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
"Ironically, one of the reasons why the District selected the NREMT certification process is to ensure test integrity," Chief Dennis L. Rubin said in the statement. "If in fact these allegations are true, the D.C. Fire and EMS Department will be greatly disappointed that both the NREMT and Pearson VUE Training Center failed to meet our expectations."

This is not bad news for the NREMT. This is Chief Rubin making himself look stupid to take the heat off his FFs who cheated on an EMT-B exam. The integrity of the exam wouldn't be an issue if the FFs and Chief Rubin knew the meaning of this word.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, this is bad news for the NREMT as in the news article was very bad for them. As far as who is to blame, the Chief is ultimately responsible for the behavior of his employees.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OK - How hard is the EMT-Basic exam exactly? I haven't taken it in several years - but PLEASE... it isn't really complicated. Basic immobilization, O2, CPR, and med admin. REALLY folks!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Well, this is bad news for the NREMT as in the news article was very bad for them. As far as who is to blame, the Chief is ultimately responsible for the behavior of his employees.

I think those who know the NREMT will see through this mess especially with all the other bad headlines Washington DC has managed to accumulate.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
28% from Washington DC failed just one NREMT exam last year.
That's only slightly worse than the national average. But if they were cheating, and still did worse than the national average, that's a pretty sad statement on the quality of DC Fire.

reaper

Working Bum

No, it would be bad news for Pearson, if it is proven that their employees were in on it. NREMT does not control Pearson, they contract out to them, to provide the testing.

If all else fails, they can switch to someone else. LIke Silvan learning centers. They do all of FL's testing, so they could probably take over from Pearson nation wide?

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
No, it would be bad news for Pearson, if it is proven that their employees were in on it. NREMT does not control Pearson, they contract out to them, to provide the testing.

If all else fails, they can switch to someone else. LIke Silvan learning centers. They do all of FL's testing, so they could probably take over from Pearson nation wide?

Does anyone else see a problem with contracting out your certification to a company which contracts out the testing to a company which contracts out the facility?

That's a lot of steps removed.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Does anyone else see a problem with contracting out your certification to a company which contracts out the testing to a company which contracts out the facility?

This is the way many board testings are done. That way the certification/board test agency does not influence the results directly. It also reduces the cost of the exam for certification if the agency does not also have to administer each test.
The cost is distributed and absorbed by the states and the other agencies.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Not really. Prometric Services does a lot of physician board exams as well as the USMLE and MCAT. As someone who's took the MCAT when it was written and as a computer based test, I'd take the CBT any day over the written. In fact, I'd say that the exam is more secure as a CBT simple because you aren't administering the test to 100 people in the same sitting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
This is not bad news for the NREMT. This is Chief Rubin making himself look stupid to take the heat off his FFs who cheated on an EMT-B exam. The integrity of the exam wouldn't be an issue if the FFs and Chief Rubin knew the meaning of this word.

Exactly what I was going to say. It is not the NREMTs fault that people cheated on the exam.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
How did they bring "outside material" into the exam? From what I was told by my instructor I can't even wear my weddings rings when I go and take the test.

JPINFV

Gadfly
How did they bring "outside material" into the exam? From what I was told by my instructor I can't even wear my weddings rings when I go and take the test.

Well, it's not like they pat you down/feel you up before you take the test. There is a certain bit of integrity that is required to be assumed to be present by the staff.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief

Hmmm, I believe I was allowed to wear my rings, but, couldn't take much else in. But, yeah, they don't touch you.

Sasha

Forum Chief
They do all of FL's testing, so they could probably take over from Pearson nation wide?

They do? Because I tested at a Pearson Vue center when I took the Basic exam last year.

It's kind of pathetic that even with cheating they still have a significant failure rate. The test itself is simple, but to cheat and still have a failure rate?? I feel bad for those patients in the DC area.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well, it's not like they pat you down/feel you up before you take the test. There is a certain bit of integrity that is required to be assumed to be present by the staff.

No, but they audio and video record you while taking the test, with some person watching the cameras.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Pearson conducts alot of testing besides NREMT. They do physician board exams, surgeon exams all kinds of stuff.

JonTullos

Forum Captain

I still don't understand how this is bad for the NREMT. It's not like a rep of the NREMT was there at the time the test was taken and it's not like they knew the students would cheat. They didn't and don't condone it and I'd be surprised if they don't revoke the registry status of those who were caught. This isn't the NREMT's fault. The fault lies with those who cheated and those who probably told them to do it.