Are You A "Heritage EMT"?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps you should read the above words again. Jealousy, resentment, loathing...none of things make a good Paramedic let alone brother. There is no defense for one human being purposefully trying to destroy another by his word or deed.

So you are saying we should pass someone who is not meeting the standards set forth by our profession, meager as they are? That is all I did. The fact that I don't like my brother has nothing to do with it and the fact that he was failed by no less than four other instructors- classroom and clinical- should give some indication to the quality of a person you believe I was just mistreating because I don't like him.

Also why the hell would I be jealous of my younger brother who does nothing but sit and play X-Box all day while wasting his life. I have a much more fulfilling life than he does. It's not like he is exactly anything to be envious of. I will agree I do resent his sponging off of my grandmother and loathe his lack of ability to lead a productive life, but unlike you I can separate a disdain for his actions and his lack of talent from a disdain for him personally. If he were to pull his head out of his butt and prove me wrong, then I would be the first to help him pursue whatever his heart desired but until such actions occur he is simply another person who could not pass muster. Hell, if he could make something out of himself, I might actually admit to having a second sibling when asked so I say more power to him if he has the ability to do so.

As for trying to "destroy" him, I did nothing of the sort. If I wanted to do that, I'm pretty sure he would not be a hard one to push over the edge and I would not have to worry about him any longer. However, due to moral and ethical restraints, I don't see that as a valid option so I simply marginalize his role in my life and act like he doesn't exist unless our paths cross. I simply protected future patients from another incompetent provider who was my brother. That is exactly the sort of thing that separates the professionals from the uneducated morons in this field. We have a duty to protect our profession and those who rely upon us. If you fail to see that, then you may need to reassess how you decide who you want as a colleague. The moment you find yourself able to not judge the actions of another and hold them responsible is the day you can start lecturing me on my actions. It is also the day you surrender your IC credential because you are abandoning the one of the primary functions of an instructor: to act as a gatekeeper and standard bearer for the profession. That however is a topic for another day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin1990

Forum Probie
my mom and uncle are the only in the medical field. My mom is a Medic/RN for 20 + years and for some godly reason going to school to be a vet tech (which has no significance here) but its still medical. I start medic school in the spring, and i will probly do a bridge course to rn

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm the only one in medicine that I know of... First gen FF/EMS in my fam-jam.

Dad's dad was a Lancaster navigator during WWII, uncle who is a retired LEO, cousin in the Canadian Forces who is being deployed to Afghanistan... That's about all I can think of in terms of public service...

Don Gwinn

Forum Probie
My dad could fix anything except injured toes.

His method was to step on your toes and ask you if the other injury still hurt. He was pretty sure any acute pain could be drowned out that way, similar to turning up the radio to fix a car.

JPINFV

Gadfly
See, my pa' was smrt. He could even fix toes by using that same treatment, except with a hammer and fingers.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
One grandfather was a Pennsylvania State Police Captain and served in the Marines, other grandfather served in the Army. I have a cousin who is a Firefighter and her husband is an EMT/Firefighter. I also have a cousin who's a radiology tech. I'm the first one to do EMS for a living and the first one to go to paramedic school. Mom's a teacher and Dad's a nuclear engineer.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Any more?

We have frsh meat, er, EMT's etc. Any new stories?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I am decidely the black sheep of the family.

First to speak English as my primary language.
First to college.
First to grad school.
First not to be a career soldier in the infantry.

(even my wife has nothing to do with medicine)

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
By the way... I discovered recently that once you are licensed/certified in NYS, you can refresh forever, no matter how long you've been lapsed.

I'm trying to convince my father to renew his cert from 1976, just for giggles. After all, tourniquets are back, so things haven't changed that much. ;)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
If that's square business, I got my EMT in 1974! How does this get done?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
If that's square business, I got my EMT in 1974! How does this get done?

Apparently, you fill out a form and take a refresher course. But the refresher is a challenge course - you test the first night, and the modules you pass or fail determine how many and what of the hours you have to take.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
EMSLAW, worthy of a side post.

EMTLIFE could become an online medic mill licensed in the State of New York....

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
We devote far too much of our curriculum to boots and stethoscopes to meet DOT requirements.

traumaangel26

Forum Crew Member
Mom was an emt, uncle and cousins NY firefighters, uncles and cousins all branches of military. I was the only one to choose the Navy:).

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
My Grandfather was a fire chief of Dearborn Heights Fire Dept, in Michigan for 15 years. at the time it was called Dearborn Heights Twp Fire Dept. He took it from a small rural volunteer agency into a professional full time city fire dept. He also brought the first Fire Dept rescue squad in the state to his FD. He made quite a bit of local history from what Im told... unfortunately he died when I was 6 months old, so I never got to hear his stories or benefit from his knowledge.

My uncle is a firefighter here in florida, getting close to retirement.. and my great uncle is a retired LA county (CA) Sheriff Deputy.

So, i guess you could say public safety is in my blood...with quite a legacy to live up to !

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
My mother is a 20+ year Emt as well as nurse. Kinda was exciting growing up seeing this in her life.

Stew

Forum Crew Member
One grandfather was MilPol before going into local laws, my grandmother helped run an orphanage, my Dad is a Firefighter (?Lieutenant/Captain), my Mum a nurse and my brother spent time as a cop and now works as a patient transport officer for the same service as myself (?EMT-B ).
My Dad's parents were/are horrible so I don't really care..:p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Funny, I missed this before. My dad was pre-med at one point, but ended up as an electrical engineer. He had an old copy of Emergency Care and Transport of the Sick and Injured that I remember reading as a Fire Explorer before I took EMT at 16.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
Grandma was the first EMT instructor in the county where my parents grew up, Dad was one of the original "I'm gonna be like Jonny and Roy" medics, now director of the local ambulance service/deputy chief of fire, Mom's a basic, aunt and uncle are ff/emt-b's, and I start medic school next spring