Are You A "Heritage EMT"?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
We have about a dozen doctors and nurses in the family.
They think I went EMS because I dont have the "dedication" for med school. I hear at least a dozen times a phone call I'm wasting my "potential."

Ugh... I get the same thing when I so much as mention that I'm considering careers that don't involve a terminal degree. Especially careers that just might involve gore, dead people, and burning buildings.

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
I have an aunt that is a RN, otherwise no-one else in my family is involved with fire/ems. That being said, my father pushed me to take as many first aid and cpr classes as i could when I was young. Aside from taking S&R, Ropes instruction and first responder, I never was able to take my emt. As soon as I was able I joined my first fire dept, now on my third(moved a few times) and just starting my emt-B. I love it and wish I could do it full time! Unlikely, my unskilled janitorial position pays 4.00 an hour more than the local ambulance service. Pretty sad when you think about it.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Ugh... I get the same thing when I so much as mention that I'm considering careers that don't involve a terminal degree. Especially careers that just might involve gore, dead people, and burning buildings.

Right?! This is my family though.. if they can't brag about it, it's not good enough. I'll forever live in my cousin's shadow who went to med school, got knocked up by her teacher, dropped out- had an abortion after he reminded her he was married, and is now in a LPN program. She's still better then me. :rolleyes:

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
We have about a dozen doctors and nurses in the family.
They think I went EMS because I dont have the "dedication" for med school. I hear at least a dozen times a phone call I'm wasting my "potential."

Ugh, I get the same thing. My parents pooped bricks when they found out I was going into EMS instead of nursing.

However, I'm currently working on a documentary of my ambulance company. Perhaps they'll cut the "wasted potential" stuff when they see my co-workers and I responding to emergencies. ;)

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
My dad is a former FF-medic. My grandfather was a FF for 40 years. My mom used to be a midwife and now a social worker.
And if it means anything, my sister and brother-in-law were in a medic unit for the military for a little while before being moved to Chem Core.

huey28

Forum Probie
father is a janitor my mother works in fuel asst.
grandfather was a medic in ww2
watched paramedics save my grandmother life when i was 16 now i work with those same medics everyday

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Right?! This is my family though.. if they can't brag about it, it's not good enough. I'll forever live in my cousin's shadow who went to med school, got knocked up by her teacher, dropped out- had an abortion after he reminded her he was married, and is now in a LPN program. She's still better then me. :rolleyes:

dude, you have issues lol

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Mom is a CNA. Dad and most of the rest of my family worked in the textile industry. Have an aunt that was a banker. I do have a cousin that was an EMT and she moved onto RN.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Nope only close thing is my Uncle is a prison gaurd and got his FR. My step dad majored in nursing but left to work for the local mill. My grandma worked the kitchen of the hospital, and my aunt was an LVN. I am the first pre hospital provider in my family.

ViniG

Forum Ride Along
My mom was firefighter and never got to take the MFR class.
My dad is a mechanic. Me and my mom are the only one's into public service.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Been a while. Any new ones?

Aren't medics grown, not made?

PS: I gave my daughter her first BP set the other week.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, my granddad was an MD for like 60 years, my dad was a firefighter/EMT in Fairfax county VA for a while.

In terms of other public stuff, my great grandfather was a Chicacgo fireman, the other grandfather was a sheriff's deputy for ever in Broward Co. FL, my uncle was a deputy (In broward Co. FL) and a US marshall, my cousin is a deputy (in Broward Co. FL!), my dad was a cop in Milwaukee, WI for a while, and like I said before, my dad was a firefighter in Fairfax, VA.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I was my father's EMT-B clinical preceptor and was his supervisor on the VFD. It was always fun because people assumed it was the other way around. My brother is- after two attempts- also an EMT-B but does not do anything with it. This is probably good seeing as I failed him on two separate clinical rotations repeatedly for being the lazy, insipid little retard that he is. He came up on the losing end of the genetics craps shoot that gave my sister and I decently good looks, talent and intelligence.

My dad is a medical technologist by profession (as is an aunt on my mother's side) and I recall being a child (4-7 years old) and sitting with him in lectures as he was going through school for it. It was strange but I can still remember stuff I learned through the experience.

The only other person in the medical field in my family is a cousin who was a paramedic up until he retired several years ago. He was the one who got me started in this field (so you can blame him for having to deal with me on here LOL) after I found a wrecked car and took care of the driver until him and his partner arrived. He complemented my first aid skills....apparently he didn't see me throwing up in the ditch after they took over because of all the blood.

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I was my father's EMT-B clinical preceptor and was his supervisor on the VFD. It was always fun because people assumed it was the other way around. My brother is- after two attempts- also an EMT-B but does not do anything with it. This is probably good seeing as I failed him on two separate clinical rotations repeatedly for being the lazy, insipid little retard that he is. He came up on the losing end of the genetics craps shoot that gave my sister and I decently good looks, talent and intelligence.

My dad is a medical technologist by profession (as is an aunt on my mother's side) and I recall being a child (4-7 years old) and sitting with him in lectures as he was going through school for it. It was strange but I can still remember stuff I learned through the experience.

The only other person in the medical field in my family is a cousin who was a paramedic up until he retired several years ago. He was the one who got me started in this field (so you can blame him for having to deal with me on here LOL) after I found a wrecked car and took care of the driver until him and his partner arrived. He complemented my first aid skills....apparently he didn't see me throwing up in the ditch after they took over because of all the blood.

Is the spelling incorrect in this post? It looks like it says "brother". He may not be a great example of a brother but, dang...sounds like you take pleasure in humiliating the guy.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Is the spelling incorrect in this post? It looks like it says "brother". He may not be a great example of a brother but, dang...sounds like you take pleasure in humiliating the guy.

Some VFDs are small enough so that you have no choice but to instruct or precept family members--it happens occasionally in mine, especially when you get whole families volunteering. And if you're responsible at all, you need to put the patients first and fail them if deserved, whether they're related or not. Sometimes people put family loyalty first instead, and all of us wind up trying to make up for the consequences.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Some VFDs are small enough so that you have no choice but to instruct or precept family members--it happens occasionally in mine, especially when you get whole families volunteering. And if you're responsible at all, you need to put the patients first and fail them if deserved, whether they're related or not. Sometimes people put family loyalty first instead, and all of us wind up trying to make up for the consequences.

Wasn't talking about precepting. :sad: I'd fail my mother if I had to.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Uh, USAF...your bro on this forum too?

;).....................

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

I don't really "enjoy" humiliating him per se but I call them as I see them regardless of relation, etc. I've told him to his face that I would not let him treat me. Honestly if you can't pass the EMT exam the first time around, I believe that is more than sufficient grounds to question your basic knowledge retention skills and/or reasoning abilities. It is, to pardon an overused expression, not even close to rocket science.

As Seaglass put it, it's not about family or ego or anything else. If you give me sufficient grounds to think you're a raging retard, I'll treat you as such until you prove to me otherwise.

Uh, USAF...your bro on this forum too?

Maybe...I have never asked him and frankly don't care one way or the other. There have been several new members pop up on here that reminded me of him.

Some VFDs are small enough so that you have no choice but to instruct or precept family members--it happens occasionally in mine, especially when you get whole families volunteering.

BTW, I did not precept them as volunteers. They ran with me on the paid service I worked for while they were doing their clinicals.

Wasn't talking about precepting.

Even still, nothing is gained by letting my brother and his ilk slide through life. Being nice doesn't work very often with people like that. A boot to the side of the head or a wrap across the knuckles will get someone to straighten up a lot quicker and more permanently than the longest chat you can have with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Has anyone else stories to tell about genes or equipment they inherited from their parents for EMS?

My dad worked at a ski area and part of his duties was Ski Patrol.

I had done ARC Advanced First Aid and CPR. I took the NSP Winter Emergency care course and patrolled for three year before getting my EMT-B.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
My brother is- after two attempts- also an EMT-B but does not do anything with it. This is probably good seeing as I failed him on two separate clinical rotations repeatedly for being the lazy said:
Usafmedic45,

Perhaps you should read the above words again. Jealousy, resentment, loathing...none of things make a good Paramedic let alone brother. There is no defense for one human being purposefully trying to destroy another by his word or deed.