Are You A "Heritage EMT"?

Epi-do

I see dead people
My dad spent time in the Navy, and then was a draftsman when he got out. My mom was a nurse - first an LPN, and then an RN - until she passed away when I was 17.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Sad really... I was watching a doc. on WW2 and they mentioned (particularly in regards to conventration camp survivors) the many stories have been lost overtime because survivors of that time period felt that we as a society needed to move past that horrible period by forgetting it and not talking about it (the emotional repression is obviously also a factor). Sadely, many of the people that lived through that time period are passing away, and with them their stories that have so much to teach us. Our past (human, family, and personal) makes up who we are and molds us towards where we are going. How many people here chose to go the route they did because of their parents and grandparents? How many of us look at horrible incidents in human history (WW2 is an extreme example) and let those affect who we want to be (9-11 for instance)? Maybe it is too painful for her... or maybe she doen't think you need to hear it... but, IMHO, those stories need to be told...

For better and for worse, emotional repression is a big part of my family's culture. So nobody tends to talk about traumatic events, except to people who've gone through something very similar. I hear that my grandfather the WWII vet, for instance, has opened up to everyone who's come back from war. And I know there's some stuff written down, to be read when they're gone. So I'm not worried we're going to completely lose their stories.

I do wish it were different, though. I remember that one of the most profound experiences I had as a kid in lower school was having a friend's grandmother tell me about her experiences as a child in a Nazi concentration camp. Her story was quite disturbing, but it taught me some very valuable things about humanity. Maybe it wasn't age-appropriate... but if she was old enough to survive it, I was old enough to hear it.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Maternal Grandmother was a nurse, my mother was and my father still is Fire. A cousin is also a nurse.

AKStuart

Forum Ride Along
My town only has one Hospital, and my mom is a CNA in the ER. I'm trying to get precepted as an EMT-1, and that requires me doing some more ride alongs -- so I'll actually be seeing her quite often :p

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sidebar on folks not talking about stuff.

Can't nail the exactitudes,but in "JARHEAD" a drill sergeant or some such asks a bunch of trainees "How many of you're daddies were in Vietnam?!". Some hands go up. "HOw many of 'em didn't talk about it later!?". One recruit says "Only once, Sgt".
The Sgt says "That means he's not a (bleep)ing liar".

And every ijit I've met who lied about being a combat medic was a drug addict.

Back to our regularly scheduled subject.

Hollywood

Forum Ride Along
My family tends to go where the money is. Back in the late 90s we lived in NE Texas and jobs apparently dried up around here. ( I was about 10) So they decided to go to Florida and get into construction/renovation, so my self and my brother and cousins grew up working in those type of fields. Then a few years ago there was a movement in the family toward the medical profession. I have 2 uncles that are LVNs about to go for their RNs. I have an aunt who is in an RN program. And I married my wife while she was in nursing School. My cousin went through an EMT course in Florida but never did anything with it. So that leaves me in EMS all by myself.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Dad was an accountant, Mom worked in a bank, brother worked in construction; I'm the family curiosity.

reaper

Working Bum
Dad was a Paramedic in OH in the early 70's. Started as a FF, left that to become a cop. Then left being a cop to become a medic, when it first got rolling.
He finaly went back to college and got his degree in graphic arts. Became a graphic arts teacher and taught college till retirement.

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
Mom is a nurse in the ED. Her grandmother was a nurse, her mother worked in the gift shop of a hospital for a little while. Now I'm going for my EMT. Beyond that, no one i know of in the family has any connection to a hospital, other than bills that is ;)

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
not myself. but the company i work for has been owned and run by the same family since 1927... and still using the same equipment....

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
"My father was a cop... my brother was a cop... my mother was a cop's wife..."
-Det. John Kimble, Kidnergarden Cop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
My uncle failed his first year of med school because he started a lucrative stockbroking business that ended up setting him up for life.

Other than that nothing except a great aunt who was nurse, killed in WW2 when her hospital ship was sunk <_<.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
My mother is an RN, grandmother is an RN (retired), and great grandmother was an RN in the army. Grandfather is a physician (retired family practice MD, from the golden age of medicine).

I know of no family or friends involved in EMS however.

nemedic

Forum Captain
most of my dad's side is fire, with a few ff/emt-bs. and only a sugrical tech aunt on mother's side.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
We have about a dozen doctors and nurses in the family.
They think I went EMS because I dont have the "dedication" for med school. I hear at least a dozen times a phone call I'm wasting my "potential."

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
We have about a dozen doctors and nurses in the family.
They think I went EMS because I dont have the "dedication" for med school. I hear at least a dozen times a phone call I'm wasting my "potential."

Humph! A waste saving and preserving life and quality of life? Wow, niiiiiiice! Like nurses have it so great ;) I'd rather be an "ambulance driver" than a butt wipe! Think I'd ask very nicely...knock it off! <_<

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Butt-wipe?

Thanks.B)......
Yes, but not since 1983.

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
RuralEmt shared that his dad was a paramedic. Personally, my dad was medical-phobic and my mom was into first aid.

Has anyone else stories to tell about genes or equipment they inherited from their parents for EMS?

Nope, although my Uncle and Aunt are carers for the physically/mentally disabled so I guess that is related.

I don't think they have any medical training though.

BTW, I'm new! Hi!!

JonTullos

Forum Captain
My dad's a Basic and has been for as long as I can remember. He was also a fire fighter which would explain why I felt the need to join the local VFD. LOL He loves it and so far I do too! He didn't want to go on to Paramedic but I'm planning to next fall.

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
My dad's a Basic and has been for as long as I can remember. He was also a fire fighter which would explain why I felt the need to join the local VFD. LOL He loves it and so far I do too! He didn't want to go on to Paramedic but I'm planning to next fall.

Your signature makes me LOL:lol: