Are You A "Heritage EMT"?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
RuralEmt shared that his dad was a paramedic. Personally, my dad was medical-phobic and my mom was into first aid.

Has anyone else stories to tell about genes or equipment they inherited from their parents for EMS?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Nada here. No one in my family is directly involved with patient care on a day to day basis. My cousin is in Law Enforcement and had to take a Basic class, that's the closest any of my family come.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
RuralEmt shared that his dad was a paramedic. Personally, my dad was medical-phobic and my mom was into first aid.

Has anyone else stories to tell about genes or equipment they inherited from their parents for EMS?

Great grand father was a medicine man...for real.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not here. The only thing my dad ever cared about was me not going into aerospace. :D

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

Speaking medically about my genetics:

NO ONE in my family is in health care or emergency servies. The closest I have is a half uncle that was Forest Service Fire for awhile. Other than that, my family is all mechanically or carpentry oriented. IN NO WAY are any of them medically capable or predisposed...

My Dad, for instance (yes the same one that tried to chop off his leg with a preasure washer), had surgury on his knee this last week. He was told to spend 24 hours COMPLETELY off of it and then only spent time on it as needed to get from point A to B. 12 hours later he was in the garage tinkering with something for a couple hours. I told him to knock that crap off. He said, "I'll get off of it when it starts to hurt." It is really painful now and he is whinning like a girl... Tough Crap!!! He won't elevate it because then he can't see the TV. Medically, he has no clue and picks and chooses what type of care he will submit to based on what is convienient and easy; not on what is medically sound (something that is near impossible to explain to him). It is quite amusing when he starts experiencing complications latter, but won't admit that it is his own fault...

Genetically, the only thing I inherited from my mom was my bad joints. I have bad knees and shoulders. And this cold weather is killer on the knees and the neck... :sad:

Sasha

Forum Chief

Negative. My parents were teachers. I was the first to get into any kind of health, but my sister and cousins are following the suits.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah i inherited alot from my dad.

A nice pair of duty boots that are still comfortable as heck after 20 years of constant abuse, and they haven't fallen apart yet. I also have a nice gloves/shears/smallish-medium flashlight holder that I inheried. (At the same time learning what happens when you leave a pair of latex gloves laying around for 9 years.

My dad tried many different things before he finally realized medicine was for him. He wishes now he wouldve gone to medical school instead of just paramedic. I have been fortunate enough to learn this from him and I realized through EMT and genetics that I myself want to go to med school.

On the other side of the spectrum my mom has a fear of any blood that is not her own, and she WILL pass out when you take her blood. Compared to me who gets into constant arguements at blood drives. For some reason once they find out I'm an EMT, they don't like me watching them slide in the needle. Comments on this anyone? ^_^

Still don't know where I got my love of fire fighting from because they both think im absolutely nuts for running into a burning building.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
My mom was a nurse for 25 yrs before she retired. She worked in the hospital then she went to a nursing home (which was and still is dept of the hospital but in a different part of town), and she also worked at a battered woman's shelter as a nurse.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Yup, mother and father both. They met working the same place, as a matter of fact. Both then went into other medical careers.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Nope... I'm the first person in my family to go into civil service, first with the Marine Corps and now this. My family has always been business oriented.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Dad was a firefighter, his uncle and father were firefighters, his brother a medic....

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
part of the largest family chain of chiropractors in the world

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Nothing in my immediate family. My extended family has a few doctors and a nurse, though. My grandmother supposedly did something with emergency medicine during WWII... but she won't discuss anything at all from that time period at all, so I'm not really sure.

Summit

Critical Crazy
If my dad was a MD on a military HEMS bird, does that make me heritage or legacy or whatever?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
My Grandfather was the first Italian Detective with the NYC Police force. Two of his sons, my Uncles, were Firefighters, and before I got involved EMS was all about converted hearses responding from Funeral Homes, on rotation as called by the PD to limit competition for bodies on the scene.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I wanna hear more!

Ahhhh, those stories are reserved for sitting around the camp fire young Firetender. He was a Choctaw (Mississippi /N. Carolina) medicine man and his wife (great grandmother) was a member of a Southern Carolina Cherokee band back in the 1800's. My preference for homeopathics may stem from my roots...lol!

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
but she won't discuss anything at all from that time period at all, so I'm not really sure.

Sad really... I was watching a doc. on WW2 and they mentioned (particularly in regards to conventration camp survivors) the many stories have been lost overtime because survivors of that time period felt that we as a society needed to move past that horrible period by forgetting it and not talking about it (the emotional repression is obviously also a factor). Sadely, many of the people that lived through that time period are passing away, and with them their stories that have so much to teach us. Our past (human, family, and personal) makes up who we are and molds us towards where we are going. How many people here chose to go the route they did because of their parents and grandparents? How many of us look at horrible incidents in human history (WW2 is an extreme example) and let those affect who we want to be (9-11 for instance)? Maybe it is too painful for her... or maybe she doen't think you need to hear it... but, IMHO, those stories need to be told...

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Nobody in my immediate family is in medicine.

In my family, I'm essentially the first.