Are You A "Heritage EMT"?

I am a heriatge EMT.

My father and uncle ran for several years on a volunteer squad. I can still remember the white jumpsuits that they wore, and even the caddy ambulance. Stories of when you were on an MVC with entrapment, HURST tools were just coming about, where you used old fashioned muscle, hand tools and whatever you could to free a pt. My brother and I have followed. 18 years and counting, and no intention of giving it up.

I've got a good one.

I was adopted at birth because my mom was only 16. It was a very open adoption. I always knew I was adopted and I had my birth families names and pictures for a long time. I didn't start looking for them until I was 18.

When I found my birth-mom it turned out that she had been working as nurse (BSN) for years. She was more into med/surg and general clinic work though. She said the need for adrenaline comes from by birth father who I have yet to meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and if we're adding that as a tally for the nature vs. nurture debate, bear in mind one of my parents owns a home remodeling company and the other was a flight attendant. They can't stand the sight of blood. I am proud of my mother though, she recently performed CPR on a woman who collapsed thanks to her 20+ years of job training.

My dad and his brothers were all EMTs in upstate NY when they were my age, now all are out of the business.

I was born and raised in Florida, and I moved back up to my dad's hometown to go to college, and go figure I'm now volunteering in EMS. Its been pretty funny, for example my EVOC instructor rode with my dad when they were my age, as soon as he saw my name on the roster, "Do you know Tom?"

So its been a very cool experience to date!

My dad was a nurse & PCT for years.

My uncle was a volunteer firefighter and I wanted to be one too. Their mother was a nurse, as well.

My mom can't handle medical stuff and has no interest in it.

Back