Advice wanted in 'Forced Resignation' situation

nimboo

Forum Ride Along
I worked for an ambulance company in Los Angeles county for almost an entire year (a week short of).

Wierd things started happening at my employer's a couple of months ago. They cut everyone's shifts by two hours (from 12 hr to 10 hr) to save money, bought cheap gloves for everyone, and announced that we were moving from the 'promotion schedule' system to the 'promotion by merit.' Funky things were also happening with our bonus system as well.

Anyway, Last month, I heard about how 25 employees had been fired, and I heard 30-something had been fired the month before that, but I continued to work there, I needed the money (I was, however, suddenly very eager to get out).

Two weeks ago - I got my first write-up. The supervisor came and showed me a PCR I had forgotten a phone number for (convalescent home phone), had me correct it, and allowed me to continue working. Last Week, I recieved a second write-up, this time for not checking the 'Altered' box for a patient I had written AxOx2 in the narrative. They failed to notice that the patient's BASELINE was AxOx2, and therefore for the purposes of the 'chief complaint' box, I was not required to check 'altered.' Either way, as this was my second write-up, they suspended me for a week. I called for instructions, as I was told to do, and the supervisor gave me two options. He told me that because I've got two write-ups, and because the boss wants to get rid of the people working only 10 hours a week (I'm a full time student), I could either resign or be fired. He said it would be better to resign, it would look better on my record.

So I'm feeling like I've been totally screwed. What can I do? I feel set up. There really is nothing I can do is there? If I contest the second write-up, they'll find something wrong with one of my other PCR's (If someone wants to find a mistake with something like a PCR, TRUST ME, it isn't hard). They'll just start searching through them.

I told him I'd Resign, and asked him what the company's official position on me would be. I said, I know future employers will ask why I left the company. He said "as far as the company is concerned, you left of your own free will." Will the suspension stay on my record as a negative? Remember, I'm a new EMT, and this was my first job (one I regret taking).

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
First, never volunteer to quit. You may not have gotten fired, but you're a 'quitter'.

Are you sure they're firing people, or just laying them off? If they are firing people, what reason are they giving?

OP
OP
N

nimboo

Forum Ride Along
First, never volunteer to quit. You may not have gotten fired, but you're a 'quitter'.

Are you sure they're firing people, or just laying them off? If they are firing people, what reason are they giving?

Did you read the post though? They told me that I ONLY had two options: I could either resign or they would fire me. I don't want to give TOO much personal information out here, but I am pretty young (19 years old), and as this was my first job (not only my first EMT job...the first job I've had in my life), I believed him when he said that it would look far better on my record to resign than to be Fired. I resigned in the interest of preserving this 'record.'

Sasha

Forum Chief

So how do you change jobs if you can't quit or get fired? Out of the two options he was given, it seems quitting was the lesser of two evils, although the reason for termination would be pretty pathetic.

medic417

The Truth Provider
When applying for a new job just put company downsizing for reason for leaving.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Quit.

And try to take two lessons from this: some games are better not played (don't ride a bad situation down in flames), and always try to meet your employer's standards and maybe exceed them a little.

PS: You can betcher pulseox Chimpie read the post through.;)

BEorP

Forum Captain
Is it fair that you're in a position to choose between the two? No. It is pretty clear what you need to do here though if those truly are your only options. Obviously leaving on your own terms is better than being terminated.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
This is a gut call, I would have let them fire me, then filed a complaint. There is no real valid reason why.

At the same time leaving on your own terms you could better explain the cause. Either way it is a crap call by your employer and border line illegal.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Sounds to me like your company is downsizing and laying people off to save money. By quitting you are forfeiting unemployment insurance without a big fight and your boss knows it. If they fire you they have to continue paying into your unemployment and he knows it and that is why he is trying to be "noble" and giving you ( a young person new to the workforce that doesnt know these things ) what he thinks you are going to think is the best way out. What he is doing is letting you hang yourself with little recourse. Trick they teach you business which was my orignal college goal before going into EMS. I learned in my first 2 semesters of school to become a Human Resources Manager that to be in management you have to sacrfice your dignity and morals, which i was not going to do.

Let them fire you, collect unemployment and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Do you even get unemployment when working part time?

Talk to them and see if you can get enough time to line up another job. Then once you do quit. Every application I've ever seen has asked for "reason left" and "Have you ever had your employment terminated? If so, why?" Now while I've never been in the position to hire or fire someone, I imagine answering yes to the second question is a rather large red flag, especially at places that have tons of applications.

JPINFV

Gadfly
This is a gut call, I would have let them fire me, then filed a complaint. There is no real valid reason why.

At the same time leaving on your own terms you could better explain the cause. Either way it is a crap call by your employer and border line illegal.

How exactly is it borderline illegal for me to tell you that I'm gonna fire you in two weeks if you don't quit?

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

Last time I checked, California is a Free Hire Start... Unless there is some contract in place that prevents it, they can hire and fire you at will without really stating why (unless it is for religious, race, or sexual orinetation reasons)... I believe... (correct me if I am wrong).

Even though we all know why they are doing what they are doing... good luck proving it or fighting it. Let them fire you and get a lawyer if you want, for all the good it will probably do ya. In the end, you have two choices that both really suck.

If they fire you, you at least get unemployment (and in CA right now... that ain't a bad idea). Of course, that firing will always be with you and future companies will want to know why. What do you say? "They singled me and others out and illegially fired us?" Not the best idea when talking to a future employeer. "They fired me beacue I failed to properly fill out a PCR." Likewise, not good. "They were downsizing." Maybe... but not the full story that they will probably get if that contact that employer. Although... maybe...

If you quit, no unemployment. Like I said, that would suck. On the other hand, from the standpoint of future employement, what do you say? All the options above are available, but a simple, "They were downsizing and gave me teh option to resign or be fired. I refused to be fired after doing a great job for them."

In either case, any future employer will likely know teh story surrounding the numerous firings this company is doing, how they are doing it, and why... and may ignore the questions of "Why were you fired? Why did you quit?"

In the end, no one here is in your shoes... We can all offer advise, but it is your life and future, and I would never tell you what to do... thereby (perhaps) screwing up your life.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldn't complain, as the complaint would only go to the managers...who are the ones attempting the firing.

I would ask under what reason the official reason for the firing would be (down size or due to paper work).

JPINFV

Gadfly
In either case, any future employer will likely know teh story surrounding the numerous firings this company is doing, how they are doing it, and why... and may ignore the questions of "Why were you fired? Why did you quit?"

And if you move... Strangely enough, when I worked for 6 months in Boston, no one had ever heard of my private company. Now just about anyone who works in Southern California (especially Orange County) knows my company if I mentioned that it was a place to "hang around" at.

You live in LA. Try applying with Care. I know that Care is hiring right now because they just got a bunch of OCFA territories in Northern OC. With providers moving around to fill the new spots, it might be possible to score a spot in one of Care's LA 911 territories.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
You are young, you can find other jobs, but you don't want a bad mark. After the boss tells you that it was your own call, I would write them a letter saying that you are resigning due to class workload, and that this is your two weeks notice unless they agree to less. Since he obviously would agree to less, you'd leave, and in the future you could tell your employers that you were busy with school at the time and everything would pan out.

You could choose to fight them, but they are the employer and barring any contract you signed with them upon starting, they can fire you for any cause.

Btw, when I was new, if someone really wanted to find something wrong with my PCRs they probably could have, but now, I make that ver difficult for them to do. Every box on my PCR gets filled in, sometimes with a "N/A". That lets me know what I have filled out already and what I haven't.

When working 911, we have a lot of time at the ER so we can do it in one sitting, but working privates, sometimes you don't have that liberty and you have to write reports fast. Start writing your report when you get there, and after taking vitals work on your report on the ride in filling in every box. Before turning in reports at the end of the day (or before you put it away) look over every box to see if it has been filled in.

OP
OP
N

nimboo

Forum Ride Along
Hey, thanks alot for the advice, guys :)

I'd love to apply to Care, I've heard alot of good things about them and the way they treat their employees. I'm also pretty eager to try a 911 ambulance company - transports don't exactly stress your skills, if u know what I mean. My dad mentioned that bit about how they were doing this to keep from paying me unemployment, and that's probably true. I wish I had gotten out earlier as well. The hour cut was already costing me $60 a paycheck, which wasn't good for a guy only working 2 shifts a pay period.

I really do appreciate all the advice, guys. I believe the route I'll be taking is to resign, send them a formal letter of resignation, and use the reason many of you have suggested to explain my leaving them. The company was also quite a drive from my home - 40 miles, so gas was getting preeettty expensive.

Alright, I feel pretty settled on this. I guess all there is to do now is to start looking for a new job. So I can apply to Care, who else is good? I heard Care was located in OC, btw? Where's their LA station?

OP
OP
N

nimboo

Forum Ride Along
You are young, you can find other jobs, but you don't want a bad mark. After the boss tells you that it was your own call, I would write them a letter saying that you are resigning due to class workload, and that this is your two weeks notice unless they agree to less. Since he obviously would agree to less, you'd leave, and in the future you could tell your employers that you were busy with school at the time and everything would pan out.

You could choose to fight them, but they are the employer and barring any contract you signed with them upon starting, they can fire you for any cause.

Btw, when I was new, if someone really wanted to find something wrong with my PCRs they probably could have, but now, I make that ver difficult for them to do. Every box on my PCR gets filled in, sometimes with a "N/A". That lets me know what I have filled out already and what I haven't.

When working 911, we have a lot of time at the ER so we can do it in one sitting, but working privates, sometimes you don't have that liberty and you have to write reports fast. Start writing your report when you get there, and after taking vitals work on your report on the ride in filling in every box. Before turning in reports at the end of the day (or before you put it away) look over every box to see if it has been filled in.

Thanks for the advice here :D. I so know what you mean about the PCR's. Which is why I feel so angry. If they wanted to fire me for PCR errors - they had a million chances within my first 6 months of working there - I made so many mistakes!!! But they were obviously reaching to get me fired - giving me two write-ups within two weeks, when I hadn't had a single one for 12 months!

But ya, I'm a little better at my PCR's now - I use N/A now lol, used to just use UTO, but now I have to use both. N/A for the things that don't exist, and UTO for the things that might exist, but I didn't happen to get. I did have UTO in that phone number slot, but... :(

Uh...as a side note - my County Cert is going to expire in 3 months. Anyone know of a good place in the Los Angeles Area where I can get my CE's? My community college cut the program....no funding for it.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm also pretty eager to try a 911 ambulance company - transports don't exactly stress your skills, if u know what I mean.

Not familiar to the area so you'll have to ask someone else about spots.

As for tranports not getting you use of your skills, I think they let me practice vitals a ot and talking to patients. I worked private IFT and private contracted 911 for nursing homes before I went to straight up 911. I have yet to miss a set of vital signs, i can tell a patient who is in a lot of trouble vs one that is not, and I know how to help with a lot of the ALS skills now.

While I prefer working 911, I'm not above working transports--when I go back to STL in a month or so, I'll take whatever gets me the most pay per week, be it IFT or 911.

Good luck to you!

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
OP, I sympathize with you because a lot of my friends are going through the same thing all over the private ambulance industry in Los Angeles.

I would NOT resign. I would tell them that I am not going to resign and I will show up for my next shift as normal, and that if they attempt any more action based on the current write ups, I will have my attorney subpoena them and review them. This threat alone could be enough to get them off your back (the last thing your employer wants right now is to have other people prying into his medicare fraud operation). Start looking for a new job now with a more reputable company.

If they do end up firing you, no big deal. Sit at home and collect unemployment on your boss's dime w\hile you look for a new job and have time to go to the beach.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Alright, I feel pretty settled on this. I guess all there is to do now is to start looking for a new job. So I can apply to Care, who else is good? I heard Care was located in OC, btw? Where's their LA station?

I'm not sure if they have substations in LA or base all of the units out of their Orange County (near the 5/57/22 interchange north of CHOC/St. Josephs). At least in OC their 911 units are 24 hour units ran out of motel rooms and I imagine that their Los Angeles deployment (they have the contracts in Eastern LACo) are similar.