Advice wanted in 'Forced Resignation' situation

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
How exactly is it borderline illegal for me to tell you that I'm gonna fire you in two weeks if you don't quit?

I am speaking from what I know, which is Union. They have to give reason for termination that sudden and with no failures or write ups other than the two back to back. With a history like that you could make a claim with the labor bored. I was just giving options and ideas..take the fire get EDD.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If he doesn't have a union (which if he did, he would have mentioned), then employment is at will and union contracts do not apply.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It has been a hard lesson for me, many hard lessons, but I've learned that sometimes you have to look at the big picture and do what's best for you.

They're going to find a way to get rid of you, they have been very clear about that.

If you resign, a resignation will help you significantly in future job prospects compared to being terminated. Though you may not receive unemployment, very small benefits because you were part time, I hope that you'd realize that in the long term a resignation will be the better option.

Or, you can go back to work, they'll find something to fire you, and you'll be fired.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not sure if they have substations in LA or base all of the units out of their Orange County (near the 5/57/22 interchange north of CHOC/St. Josephs). At least in OC their 911 units are 24 hour units ran out of motel rooms and I imagine that their Los Angeles deployment (they have the contracts in Eastern LACo) are similar.

They do have substations in LA county (or, so I hear). Not sure where exactly they are. Sorry, nimbo, can't help with the CEs, I get most of mine through my employer.

Hockey

Quackers
It has been a hard lesson for me, many hard lessons, but I've learned that sometimes you have to look at the big picture and do what's best for you.

They're going to find a way to get rid of you, they have been very clear about that.

If you resign, a resignation will help you significantly in future job prospects compared to being terminated. Though you may not receive unemployment, very small benefits because you were part time, I hope that you'd realize that in the long term a resignation will be the better option.

Or, you can go back to work, they'll find something to fire you, and you'll be fired.

Seems pretty clear to me.

This sums it all up

Very well said

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Their giving you an option. That is actually better than what they could do. As you pointed out, you have two written reprimands and truthfully what you would consider being fair or not is irrelevant, your actions or lack of has been demonstrated and it has been well documented enough so termination could occur immediately.

Downsizing maybe or quality control. Those errors you feel that was minute could costs hundreds of dollars if rejected by payers and employer sees that a pattern could be developing and in today's economy and numbers of qualified applicants its much easier to get another than to deal with potential problem employees.

Write a letter of resignation, bow out gracefully so on your next application you do not have to formally explain of why you were terminated as again the competition is fierce and red flags immediately raise.

Chalk this up to a learning experience and as well maybe be a blessing in disguise.

R/r 911

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't agree that the infractions warrented the punishment dished out. There has to be a sytematic, step-wise disciplinary process and this doesn't really demonstrate that. I suppose there could be a policy this harsh so, never say never! This kind of practice is exactly why unions are necessary evils.

What is obvious, the company isn't willing to pay for unemployment benefits regardless of the amount. A very part time employee would be best served by moving forward and not fight this.

Hockey

Quackers
I don't agree that the infractions warrented the punishment dished out. There has to be a sytematic, step-wise disciplinary process and this doesn't really demonstrate that. I suppose there could be a policy this harsh so, never say never! This kind of practice is exactly why unions are necessary evils.

What is obvious, the company isn't willing to pay for unemployment benefits regardless of the amount. A very part time employee would be best served by moving forward and not fight this.

Any smart company knows it is cheaper to pay for unemployment (even after a small fight) then to take time out and money to fight it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader

Stop with the "But then they can't get unemployment" routine. This is an EMT-Basic working 10 hours a week.

The person is working 10 hours a week. At 40 hours a month, assuming the person makes $15 an hour, net pay after taxes is about $500 a month. Unemployment would be about $175 a month.

Is it really worth it?

Resign, devote time to your studies, and become a better person because of the experience.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I would like to really stress that most likely, the OP is telling the truth, and most likely, his employer is not reputable and at worst, a medicare frauding scam operation like so many others in Los Angeles.

I think that Rid and others are not used to this atmosphere so it may be hard to comprehend what it is like to be a Los Angeles EMT. I have dealt with companies like these and you have to play hardball.

reaper

Working Bum
As has been said, Resign and find another job. A termination will follow you forever. The unemployment will be nill and not worth it.

This company is not going to flinch, if you threaten with a lawyer. How many 19 yo kids can afford a lawyer? They are not stupid.

You had two written warnings for infractions that you admitted to. That is all they need to fire you, so you have no recourse.

So, resign and move on with life!

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
As has been said, Resign and find another job. A termination will follow you forever. The unemployment will be nill and not worth it.

This company is not going to flinch, if you threaten with a lawyer. How many 19 yo kids can afford a lawyer? They are not stupid.

You had two written warnings for infractions that you admitted to. That is all they need to fire you, so you have no recourse.

So, resign and move on with life!

It will not necessarily follow you forever, it depends on if you report it on your next application or not. Also, Private ambo in Los Angeles knows that there are a few lawyers out here that make their sole focus suing private companies for EMTs and Medics.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think that Rid and others are not used to this atmosphere so it may be hard to comprehend what it is like to be a Los Angeles EMT. I have dealt with companies like these and you have to play hardball.

Just because you may be able to 'win' a battle doesn't mean the battle is worth winning.

It will not necessarily follow you forever, it depends on if you report it on your next application or not. Also, Private ambo in Los Angeles knows that there are a few lawyers out here that make their sole focus suing private companies for EMTs and Medics.

...and lying on an application is an automatic with fault firing if the new employer wants to follow that course. Is it really worth it?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Didn't say he wouldn't get UE...I said this employer doesn't want to pay no matter the amount. For a mere 10 hours a week, it's better to just move on to better things.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Just because you may be able to 'win' a battle doesn't mean the battle is worth winning.

...and lying on an application is an automatic with fault firing if the new employer wants to follow that course. Is it really worth it?

Or tell the truth and don't even get hired in the first place... Besides, the details of a termination can always be made out to be sketchy. Did I storm out or did they fire me? I have asked attorneys about this before. I give the advice I did to the OP because the same was given to me, and I got an exceedingly positive outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Do not equate "quitting", "firing", and "laid off".

QUIT: you said you were leaving and did. No unemployment.
"Laid off": discharged from employment "not for cause" (i.e., you didn't boo-boo the pooch). Unemployment-eligible unless your employer lies.
"Fired": discharged for cause, and they have two strikes on you (and probably almost everyone else there as well to assure control and compliance). Unemployment ineligible unless they lie about it to allow you unemployment.
I'd rather have a "quit" than a "discharged for cause" on my CV.

Hockey

Quackers
QUIT: you said you were leaving and did. No unemployment.
"Laid off": discharged from employment "not for cause" (i.e., you didn't boo-boo the pooch). Unemployment-eligible unless your employer lies.
"Fired": discharged for cause, and they have two strikes on you (and probably almost everyone else there as well to assure control and compliance). Unemployment ineligible unless they lie about it to allow you unemployment.
I'd rather have a "quit" than a "discharged for cause" on my CV.
You can still get unemployment if you get fired

Sasha

Forum Chief
Or tell the truth and don't even get hired in the first place... Besides, the details of a termination can always be made out to be sketchy. Did I storm out or did they fire me? I have asked attorneys about this before. I give the advice I did to the OP because the same was given to me, and I got an exceedingly positive outcome.

Lying on your application is unethical. Once figured out, even if you don't get fired, do you think your employer will really trust you? You lied by omission to get hired, what else would you lie about to save your own skin?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
No California unemployment if fired for cause.

If you empoyer decides to call it a "layoff" then yes you can.
I know that from personal experience.

Hockey

Quackers
If you empoyer decides to call it a "layoff" then yes you can.
I know that from personal experience.

Oh

I know in Michigan you can get Unemployment if fired unless you were stealing, doing something malicious etc etc