Accepted to RN bridge!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
With the EMR nowadays, handoff reports should pretty much consist of "got any questions?"
It should but it doesn't happen.

OP
OP
F

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Tuesday morning I took my last exam in nursing school and am officially done. Final grades haven’t posted yet but I am well above passing.

All that’s left is the NCLEX!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Tuesday morning I took my last exam in nursing school and am officially done. Final grades haven’t posted yet but I am well above passing.

All that’s left is the NCLEX!
That's awesome!

random question: do grades in nursing school count? I know the NCLEX is the nursing board, which you want to pass, but if you have a 70 average or a 95 average, does that matter? do employers require new nurses to submit transcripts? or ask for proof of GPA? do they rank you by grades, and publish a numerical ranking?

I remember in EMT class, as long as you passed every exam, no one cared, as long as you passed the state exam. and after you got your first paying job, no one cared what your grades were, or where you went to school.

I was wondering if that was how nursing school was.

OP
OP
F

FiremanMike

Just a dude
That's awesome!

random question: do grades in nursing school count? I know the NCLEX is the nursing board, which you want to pass, but if you have a 70 average or a 95 average, does that matter? do employers require new nurses to submit transcripts? or ask for proof of GPA? do they rank you by grades, and publish a numerical ranking?

I remember in EMT class, as long as you passed every exam, no one cared, as long as you passed the state exam. and after you got your first paying job, no one cared what your grades were, or where you went to school.

No transcripts required, but C is 76-83, B is 84-91, A is 92+. You must have a 76 to pass and you must also have a 76+ average on your exams. So if you had 100% on all your homework/quizzes/projects but only a 75.9% average on your exams, you still fail that class..

OP
OP
F

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Oh, and fail two classes and you’re out of the program. It’s added stress and anxiety for the sake of.. “that’s how it was for us” I guess?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
That's awesome!

In order to get through nursing school, you have to pass the coursework. That's a given. Once you graduate and you're ready to take the NCLEX, it's like the Paramedic exam... basically pass/fail. The NCLEX went to CBT testing a LONG time ago and you want to be consistently "above passing standard." If you're AT or BELOW standard in any area, the computer will ask you more questions until it's satisfied that it's found your limit. If you're above passing, you pass. If not, you don't. The NCLEX CBT exam is about determining (within a certain confidence interval) that you possess sufficient knowledge and ability to BEGIN to be nurse. If you're consistently above standard for the entire length of the exam, the computer could shut off the exam at 75 questions. That's the minimum. Any number of questions beyond minimum means you had some area that you were a bit weak in, so the computer had to ask additional questions to determine pass/fail. You could also get chosen to do the entire exam, but that's a random thing, but that takes HOURS to do.

However, once you pass the NCLEX, nobody cares (or knows) what you scored on it, because the grading system doesn't do a "score." If you pass, you pass. Where your grades come into play is if you decide to further your education beyond Nursing School. In my case, I have an ADN. I also have a Bachelor's but not in Nursing... My transcripts would need to be evaluated for possible entry to either an BSN or MSN program if I choose to go further in the nursing education. My employers couldn't care less what grades I got. All they care is that I have a pulse and a valid RN license...

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
That's awesome!

NCLEX is a pass or fail exam. The maximum number of questions is 265. 25 questions are experimental and don't count. I got 75 questions in 50 minutes when the computer shut down, I passed. If you get to 265, you pass. The questions are A, B, C, D and you pick the "most correct" answer. Then there are SATA, Select All That Apply". These are the tough ones. Nothing from school applies.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It’s the same testing process as NREMT…

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
NCLEX is a pass or fail exam. The maximum number of questions is 265. 25 questions are experimental and don't count. I got 75 questions in 50 minutes when the computer shut down, I passed. If you get to 265, you pass. The questions are A, B, C, D and you pick the "most correct" answer. Then there are SATA, Select All That Apply". These are the tough ones. Nothing from school applies.
I think the actual time it took me to do the 75 questions themselves was just under an hour. Walking into and out of the testing center was certainly less than 90 minutes. That was definitely an experience... Though I must say that if you get to 265, you're highly likely to pass... but going that far means you're right on the bubble between pass/fail for the entire exam. Oh, and you just had to bring up the SATA questions... I completely loathe them. They're just T/F type questions but... you must choose wisely for all.

Oh and it was quite a surprise when the computer suddenly stopped the exam...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And here is the Pro-Tip for finding out if you passed NCLEX the very same day.

All of us waited a couple hours after, but you can probably do it sooner. However, once you have completed the test, log into the Prometric testing site and attempt to schedule yourself to take the NCLEX again. And yes, it will have you enter your CC info again, you will choose a date...and then when you hit submit, it will say something like "sorry, you cannot sign up right now" or something like that. If you get this message, you PASSED!

If you do not get that message and they charge your CC, you failed. LOL

The above method was mentioned in several online forums, my class tried it. The results were 100% accurate for us.

OP
OP
F

FiremanMike

Just a dude

All of us waited a couple hours after, but you can probably do it sooner. However, once you have completed the test, log into the Prometric testing site and attempt to schedule yourself to take the NCLEX again. And yes, it will have you enter your CC info again, you will choose a date...and then when you hit submit, it will say something like "sorry, you cannot sign up right now" or something like that. If you get this message, you PASSED!

The above method was mentioned in several online forums, my class tried it. The results were 100% accurate for us.
I’m not especially worried about it. We do practice exams throughout final semester. Apparently if you get over 800 on the final, you’re likely to pass, I got almost 1100..

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends on your state BON as they have to review/accept the results and then issue your license.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

This system can be very accurate but you do need to wait a couple hours first. Your test needs to be verified a 2nd time before this becomes 100% accurate. I suspect they transmit tests every hour so... therefore just wait an hour or so before you try this. Big downside of this "trick" is that it does put your funds at risk every time you do it. If one evaluation says you didn't pass and the 2nd verification evaluation says you have and you try this between evaluation passes, the system will take your money and they won't refund it if they later determine you've actually passed. That being said, if you've failed, at least you've pre-paid for the 2nd attempt! Don't attempt this trick more than once because you can fail, get charged a couple hundred dollars, and on 2nd eval still fail, and you can get charged yet a 2nd time...

The older way was less risky. They had you schedule an exam and then pay for it. If it wouldn't take you to the CC entry page, you passed... then they got wise and had you enter your CC before scheduling the exam. So if your card isn't charged, you pass...

Capital

Forum Probie
Congratulations! Just keep doing some Kaplan or UWorld questions everyday until the NCLEX and you'll do great!