Your First Call

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
soon2bemt said:
Don't remember my first but I sure do remember my last one on clinicals-17 month old baby girl coded-didn't get her back

That sucks. :sad:

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
soon2bemt said:
Don't remember my first but I sure do remember my last one on clinicals-17 month old baby girl coded-didn't get her back
Yup! that does suck:sad::sad::sad:

Mine was a code, too. But, on the other end of the age spectrum.
He didn't make it.

Although the most recent code I was on was a save. ( even though I was only the driver that time around and only administered the high flow diesel. but still.:))

Last edited by a moderator:

The Gor

Forum Ride Along
Hello, first time to post, love the site.

First call, woman who was dizzy, felt it was probably better if she did not drive herself to A&E so called us, oh then had her flat mates drive behind us all the way. She waited 2 hours for a vehicle to respond, such a waste of time.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to the site and thanks for posting.

A&E?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
A&E - Accident and Emergency? Another term for our stateside ED's, I'd assume, kind of like "casualty" in other places.

Welcome.

EMT2498

Forum Ride Along
This is also my first post ^_^

My actual first call was not EMS, but fire (we are automatically dispatched w/ fire). It was just a C02 check on a residential residence. <nothing fun, just checking V.S.

My first EMS call was the next day. I was woke up the next morning for an unresponsive pt. So I grab my pager and radio and go running for my car. When I got on scene (I was 8min out), my squad was working a full code on this guy. Since I was on my training permit, I could actually work on the pt., but there wasn’t enough room for me. I just laid low and worked on the chart recording IV times, times / #of Joules when they shocked him, and such.
When we got him into the rig, I got to bag him, so I guess I actually did get some hands on training :).

The Paramedics were happy I was charting for them, because they were all tied up when everything was going on and couldn't. They also had another call to go to shortly after we arrived at the E.D. (We use an ambulance service that is in the area when we need medics, since we are only a intermediate department.)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTlife, Chris - We put the Fun in Dysfunction!

From experience - the person charting sometimes has a harder job. As for the CO alarm - those can be pretty important... I've had one minor case of CO poisioning myself (bad exhaust on the ambulance:() and a couple of calls... including one where we walked in and the alarm on the bag went off - very easy explaination for why the pt. felt lightheaded.

The Gor

Forum Ride Along
Thanks all,
A & E here is your ED/ER, not quite as busy as yours I would quess, but were kept on the road most days.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
This, too, is my first post.

My first call was when I was running as a student/Third Responder/Observer with TCERT (Trinity College Emergency Response Team). It was the night of the 80s Party, the first real party of the school year, so everyone was drunk and dressed in 80s fashion. The call was for a female pt. suspected of being drunk. Well, she was indeed drunk, puking all over herself and the hallway, barely able to crawl on the floor...and she was a friend of mine. When we tried to find out how much she had to drink, the best we could figure was between 12 and 14 shots of cheap vodka.

When the double medic truck arrived (TCERT does not transport), the two men (both of whom I am now good friends with) found the entire scene to be quite comical...until the pt. punched one of them. Needless to say, they no longer saw humor in the pt.'s state, but instead turned their ribbing towards me, the rookie.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
The Gor, EMT2498 & TCERT1987,

:) :) :) Welcome!!! :) :) :)

Great stories, thanks for joining in!!! B)

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
My first call was so many years ago I forgot what it was...my most interesting and grusome call involved a Piper Cherokee and an asphalt parking lot. Parking lot won, and as we tried to find all the parts the local racoons movved in on the scene...it was a slightly comical sight seeing all these FAA and NTSB people scurring around trying (unsuccessfully) to rid the scene of our nosey and hungry visitors...and my most scary call was for a shooting, arrived on scene after dispatched told us the SO had cleared the scene, only to find the poor deputy in a gunfight with the person who was supposed to be shot...nothing like reverse at 60 mph on a gravel driveway as bullets fly past to increase the pucker factor a time or two!

dizzymedic

Forum Probie
My first call was kinda odd. It was an 16 year old girl who tried to commit suicide. She bought this stuff (it looked like colgate toothpaste) off the street for $20 and told us it was supposed to kill her within the hour after ingestion. Still don't know what it was but someone got an easy $20 off the streets.

disassociative

Forum Captain

My first call was pretty simple; it was a frequent flyer looking to get some meperdine or dilaudid(those are her faves). It wasn't what I was expecting; To b e honest, I was hoping for(and don't tell me that on your first calls you didn't hope for something specific) a 10-46(Car Accident Injuries), so I could try out my new skills on field. Instead, it was a simple drug seeker; looking back, I can't believe I would wish for an MVA. It's kind of like IV Certification; during your prior medical career, you think wow I want to take blood and do IV's, then you get the cert and you are trying your best to pass the job off to someone else.

doc5242

Forum Crew Member
my first call was a DOA, that had been there X 5 months, she was a big ole' lady in a chair , with her pants down, she had an untreated GI bleed and must of bleed out on the pot because there was a trail of stuff following her from the bathroom to the chair.... I threw up on scene, so much for preservation of evidence..

gradygirl

TROUBLE
doc5242 said:
my first call was a DOA, that had been there X 5 months, she was a big ole' lady in a chair , with her pants down, she had an untreated GI bleed and must of bleed out on the pot because there was a trail of stuff following her from the bathroom to the chair.... I threw up on scene, so much for preservation of evidence..

:unsure: :eek: :unsure:

JDFEMS

Forum Probie
Hmnn..first day of ride-outs, I spent the first 6 hrs of a 12 hr shift in the Station house because the Crew I was riding with had to do Communicable Disease CE's. I was pretty pissed at the time, missed out on an MVA and MI. Since then, I've had my share of goods, bads, and downright disturbing (Guy has a bad day at work, comes home, blows his wife and 5 kids away with a 12 gauge......) I understand that I"m young, people have been getting hurt for thousands of years, and people will continue to hurt themselves for a thousand more years, so my job security is secure (Somewhere). My first real call was just rehab for the FD. Got to help clear out some 5" hose after they were done with it, but nothing else. I was on cloud 9 though while I was on scene, it was AWESOME!!!

randyb

Forum Probie
During my ride time up in Indianapolis, we got a call for 80 y.o. female with SOA. We get there and I'm riding with two senior EMT/firefighters. These guys had seen it all and were truly veterans, so when we go in I'm pretty confident that everything is under control until one of them stops in the doorway to the bedroom and says softly "Oh God!". Well our 80 y.o. is alert and oriented and...........completedly naked. :blush: . All I can say is that ET had less wrinkles. I mean it was bad. I stil have nightmares......

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
That's hardcore... In all the wrong ways!!! :blink: :wacko: :huh:

My first call w/ patient care was when I was a volunteer first aider with the same standby service about 3 or 4 years ago. It was at Rexall Place (at that point was Skyreach Center) for an Edmonton Oilers vs. the Detroit Red Wings game, and we were called to the Air Canada club for someone with SOB and chest pain.

O/a, we observe the pt lying supine on the floor with a crowd of people standing around in awe. Bystanders said he slipped on someone's beer on the floor and hit his head. He was out for about 1 min and he was stepped on several times. Pt had numbness and tingling in lower and upper extremeties and had severe lower back pain. So, the attending EMT-A called for 2 addnl responders, a spineboard/spinal kit and a cot. He had me secure c-spine while he assessed the pt and gave o2.

No bloody wonder he had SOB & chest pain, he had 3 or 4 broken ribs from being stepped on! The pt goes unconscious, we OPA him and give high flow o2 and get him on the board. Edmonton shows up and pushes both the EMT-A, the EMT-P and 2 MFR's and me out of the way, take him off the board, put him on their cot, say not 2 words to anyone and off they go back up the elevator.

I was so pissed off - not only that we put him on the board and then they took him off, but also because of the fact that he's probably paralyzed and we're left with no spinal straps (they cut them) and a bloody spine board...

Quite aggrevating. We got the crew back, though - the attending EMT-P is a good friend of their superintendent - actually, his wife :p. Hehehe.

IrishEMT

Forum Probie
My first call was as a trainee. A man fell from his wheelchair and cut his eye and leg. Transported to the hospital.