Your First Call

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
They tell me that the mind is the 2ed thing to go. I can't remember the 1st.

traumagirl125

Forum Ride Along
Mine was for an electricution (sorry if my spelling is off) turned out the girl was unplugging a curling iron and was simply shocked. No burn, no redness, no anything...and keep in mind we got this call as our waitress is walking to the table with dinner.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Mine was for an electricution (sorry if my spelling is off) turned out the girl was unplugging a curling iron and was simply shocked. No burn, no redness, no anything...and keep in mind we got this call as our waitress is walking to the table with dinner.

Isn't that how it normaly happens. Meal interupted by a Dumb @ss call.

trauma1534

Forum Captain

Got to hate that! Been there, done that, got at t-shirt! We had decided on our truck that if we got board and really wanted to run some calls (yeah right), all we had to do was go out somewhere nice to eat. Automatic tones going off. Usually for something stupid!!!

traumagirl125

Forum Ride Along
Got to hate that! Been there, done that, got at t-shirt! We had decided on our truck that if we got board and really wanted to run some calls (yeah right), all we had to do was go out somewhere nice to eat. Automatic tones going off. Usually for something stupid!!!

You got that right that happens to us all the time when we go to Ruby Tues. and they wont save our table or hold our order like everywhere else so when we get done we have to start from square one. Needless to say we quit eating there while we are running.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
You got that right that happens to us all the time when we go to Ruby Tues. and they wont save our table or hold our order like everywhere else so when we get done we have to start from square one. Needless to say we quit eating there while we are running.

I try to go places that save our meals or tables even when I am not on duty. I will go out of my way to do this. There are some stores that used to give us free Drinks when I was on a truck full time and I still go there now and buy drinks and stuff all the time. They remember me and still try to give stuff to me. But I won't let them because It is something that I think the folks on duty desearve.

CrazyRower

Forum Ride Along
Isn't that how it normaly happens. Meal interupted by a Dumb @ss call.

Yeah, that happened with my first call too. I was STARVING beyond all reason, and we all went out to go get dinner. There are a bunch of places all right next to one another nearby and they all serve food to go, which is perfect. I opted for a delicious panini. I was watching the woman grill the veggies, and I was practically drooling over the counter I was so darn hungry. She'd just put the cheese on it when

*BEEEEEEP!* Rescue 1, Rescue 1, please respond to [insert address here] for an "eye-emergency".

So I SPRINTED back to the truck (sans dinner, damn...) and jumped in the back. It's a boiling hot day (the temp was over 100, and the humidity was in the 90s) and the call was on the top floor with no elevator. Being the rookie, I had to carry the huge med bag. We ran up all the stairs, realize the pt. is at the OTHER end of the building, so we have to go back down and then BACK UP the other stairwell. We FINALLY get to the call completely drenched in sweat... and are greeted by a patient holding a contact lens case in one hand and a bottle of saline solution in the other. Apparently they were having trouble with their new lenses. :glare: :excl:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Can I get a drum roll please!!!!!.........^_^ :p ^_^

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Some of the events we work actually have "free lunch" written into the contract.

By the 6th weekend of an event, you end up getting reeeeeeally tired of Steak on a Stick.

Well, my partner did. I didn't. I ate her free lunch in addition to mine.

JimH

Forum Probie
Some of the events we work actually have "free lunch" written into the contract.

Some of the fairs I worked had that arraingement, and after you treat some of the carnies and see thier living arraingements, you begin to look really carefully at the person serving you.
I have fond memories of a horse show in the San Diego area, and the concession stand's hot dogs which had a decidedly greenish hue-
Thanks, I will have a coke, please- in a sealed can;)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine

Some of the fairs I worked had that arraingement, and after you treat some of the carnies and see thier living arraingements, you begin to look really carefully at the person serving you.
I have fond memories of a horse show in the San Diego area, and the concession stand's hot dogs which had a decidedly greenish hue-
Thanks, I will have a coke, please- in a sealed can;)

Yeah, that's true. Fortunately the county health department comes by frequently to inspect. As long as it's medium well, I oughta be ok. If anything survives the BBQ sauce I slather it with, it obviously has some higher purpose. ;)

We also bring our own supply of snacks and when the guys from the Sheriff's Dept show up, they sometimes have snacks.

Para-Devil

Forum Probie
Mine was a full cardiac arrest,pt 75 F., paramedic didnt call it cuz their were no obvious signs of death, so the baic (i was third man) told me to start compressions, I did compressions for 45 mins, ( I will never forget my first bone crunchings!) As doin compressions, some 1st responders firefighters were just laughing at me cuz i was new, i found it not amusing, even if that lady we gone, u still act professional, as me and my crew did. Anywho, the aspiration was horrible and i couldnt handle the smell, and after all that, we ate pizza short after that call. The paramedic did it on purpose, and said "welcome to ems!"

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
not funny or a great way to train someone.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
funny for everyone else but not the noob, LOL....

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
45 minutes of CPR is usually enough to break the "I can't wait to do CPR" syndrome in new folks. Back in the day, I figured my partners always went for the airway management because it was more technically challenging (I finally figured it out... :rolleyes: )

weretiger13

Forum Probie
My first call was a rollover on the interstate. 35M pt was ejected, his car rolled over him, and the car behind him ran him over too. He didn't have any soft-tissue injuries except a bloody nose, but was combative w/ a distentend, rock hard abd. We had to have PD handcuff him to the cot in order to work on him. 2 large-bore IVs, fluid, 15 L O2. Didn't get to intubate since he was still conscious. We airlifted him out, but he died later from internal bleeding. Bad day for him.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
wow what a first call. Mine was nothing more than an elderly 78yo M on a ton of Px couldnt breath. started 15L O2 and hist via the wife then the paramedics showed up and took over. after that i was the "bus" since the medics dont drive rigs here just suburbans.