You know you are an EMT/Paramedic when...

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
You know when you're a medic when the "talk" with your children includes a Power Point presentation of STDs and other relevant material. My poor son...I honestly think he's frightened to see a women nude at this point in his life :rofl:

Altered Mental Status

Forum Crew Member
When you see a rig running code 3, pull WAAAY over on the side of the road and find yourself cussing, honking the horn and screaming at other drivers for not doing the same.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
When you see a rig running code 3, pull WAAAY over on the side of the road and find yourself cussing, honking the horn and screaming at other drivers for not doing the same.

You know you've been one too long when you do nearly nothing because you realize running code isn't a time saver. Similarly when you see a rig running code do something stupid your on the phone to their admin.

Anjel

Forum Angel
You know you've been one too long when you do nearly nothing because you realize running code isn't a time saver. Similarly when you see a rig running code do something stupid YOU'RE on the phone to their admin.

Fixed it for you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
When you're driving to meet a friend for breakfast and you tell them on the phone, "my ETA to your facility is 10 to 12 minutes..."

Altered Mental Status

Forum Crew Member
You know you've been one too long when you do nearly nothing because you realize running code isn't a time saver. Similarly when you see a rig running code do something stupid your on the phone to their admin.

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who's scared to push that speedometer much more than 15mph over the speed-limit...

All I keep thinking is "I'm in a giant tippy-box with loose steering, less clearance and some obnoxious, nerve-wracking screamy-thing, blaring into people's heads. If anything, I'm MORE of a target than less. Meantime, I have my partner to worry about and the last thing I want is to become part of the PROBLEM instead of the solution as a collision would tie up THREE trucks minimum: one for the original patient, one to be dispatched at OUR scene plus us."

Unfortunately, in Alabama, there's no code 2. You're either full-on code 3 or you've got the master switched OFF.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who's scared to push that speedometer much more than 15mph over the speed-limit...

All I keep thinking is "I'm in a giant tippy-box with loose steering, less clearance and some obnoxious, nerve-wracking screamy-thing, blaring into people's heads. If anything, I'm MORE of a target than less. Meantime, I have my partner to worry about and the last thing I want is to become part of the PROBLEM instead of the solution as a collision would tie up THREE trucks minimum: one for the original patient, one to be dispatched at OUR scene plus us."

Unfortunately, in Alabama, there's no code 2. You're either full-on code 3 or you've got the master switched OFF.

The max I will ever go over the speed limit is 10 mph (company policy). The ambulances we have are the same length and width as my truck so I find it pretty easy driving. It's just alot more top heavy.

I used to be a balls to the wall when going code. Now not so much. My partner says I drive code 3 like a grandma.

We have code 3 (lights and siren) and code 2 (normal driving).

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
According to some people on my squad, anytime we are going to a call or to the hospital that lights and sirens are always used. -_- I'd rather not be at risk of getting in an accident if we are taking a geriatric patient who "feels weak". I keep telling them that if they would just look at the new textbooks or take a CEVO/EVOC class (most of them are paid for by the state), they are saying that lights and sirens are not always necessary. It's another one of their unwritten SOPs

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
just this alone would make you a good partner

Seriously.

I work with one guy who claims he can be anywhere in Boston inside of 11 minutes. I'm not going to say it's terrifying to ride with him and he does come close to stopping at redlights but I certainly do not like his driving. He insists on transporting everyone priority as well, which I find to be both dangerous and downright annoying.

I also have to attend every call working with him since he "doesn't trust my directional ability" which may be a fair point but I am pretty damn good at finding the giant hospitals even without the GPS.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
According to some people on my squad, anytime we are going to a call or to the hospital that lights and sirens are always used. -_- I'd rather not be at risk of getting in an accident if we are taking a geriatric patient who "feels weak". I keep telling them that if they would just look at the new textbooks or take a CEVO/EVOC class (most of them are paid for by the state), they are saying that lights and sirens are not always necessary. It's another one of their unwritten SOPs

It's also a sign they are not confident in their assessment and or treatment abilities..... USually both.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When you can tell if it's the police, an AMR van, an AMR box, or Fire going by your house based only on the sound of the siren.

I live on the main road to one of the two Level IIs in town, it has gotten old already having trucks clear calls at the hospital and head back downtown for a call.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Seriously.

I work with one guy who claims he can be anywhere in Boston inside of 11 minutes. I'm not going to say it's terrifying to ride with him and he does come close to stopping at redlights but I certainly do not like his driving. He insists on transporting everyone priority as well, which I find to be both dangerous and downright annoying.

I also have to attend every call working with him since he "doesn't trust my directional ability" which may be a fair point but I am pretty damn good at finding the giant hospitals even without the GPS.

The nice thing about being a medic in an medic/emt system is my partner drives they way I ask. Crappy driving is only trumped by crappy patient care in things that I cannot tolerate.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When you hope that no one notices the large BLS/02 bag and three "essentials" packs sitting in your car. I swear I'm only moving them to a different facility and they'll be gone in a day!