You know you are an EMT/Paramedic when...

mediKate

Forum Probie
This is silly. I knew I was an EMT when I passed the provincial exams and started working.
However, my FAMILY notices (and laughs about) the fact that I am an EMT when I:

-Say "10-4" after being given my total at a drive through
-Accidentally write "EMT" after my signature half the time, when I have to sign something
-Always find myself reaching for my pen, writing pad, shears, or penlight even when in off-duty clothes
-Cannot function on a gas tank that is less than 1/2 full
-Injure myself and am too embarassed to go in to the ER, because I know buddies will be there, and will laugh at me for being an idiot :)
-Feel strangely unprotected and exposed when not wearing steel toes
-Stop at a red light, make sure it is safe, and then proceed slowly through the intersection
-Jump when I am off duty and hear tones go off, even when it is just someone's cell phone
-Am the only one not allowed to talk about work at the dinner table or when friends are over
-Sleep for 20 hours straight and still feel tired
-Drive through town and find myself thinking "Ran a code there" "picked up an ETOH here" "Cut a guy out of a car in that ditch"

chillybreeze

Forum Lieutenant
My husband laughed when I read these to him! He said well I guess you are an EMT!!! Ive done most of these things time and time again! lol

phxemt

Forum Ride Along
Hilarious :rofl:
I have a cat named train wreck but I'm only an aspiring EMT lol

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Mentally envision sedating everyone who annoys you with Versed and/or Haldol...

OP
OP
Martyn

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
-Drive through town and find myself thinking "Ran a code there" "picked up an ETOH here" "Cut a guy out of a car in that ditch"

Find myself doing that all the time, annoys my wife :rolleyes:

Jkenney

Forum Ride Along
Your probably not an emt/pm If you want this, because emt/pm know that's not really what happens with lights and sirens...

I completely agree. I am a NH EMT-B and don't get me wrong I love driving lights but if I can I choose not to. Working in a rural 911 system you have certain circumstances but my personal opinion you have a better chance of going home when the adrenaline isn't running.

SFox3325

Forum Probie
-Always find myself reaching for my pen, writing pad, shears, or penlight even when in off-duty clothes - Do this one all the time lol

-Stop at a red light, make sure it is safe, and then proceed slowly through the intersection - Did this in front of a police officer, she pulled me over, and just said, "Steve, your in YOUR car today." Then drove off.

-Jump when I am off duty and hear tones go off, even when it is just someone's cell phone - Yep, Thanks Karl.

-Am the only one not allowed to talk about work at the dinner table or when friends are over - True.

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
You see an EKG electrode backing on the floor of the restaurant you work at for your "second job" and automatically think you somehow dragged it in from work and start going through your work pants, that are completely different pants, all the while ignoring the person sitting at the table next to the electrode backing that is wearing scrubs...

Also, when you use Cavi-wipes to wipe down the plastic covered ER beds you sleep on while on shift after your coworkers from the previous shift leave...

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Do you get family or friends asking for your advice?

"Yeah, I've got this funny rash...?"

"Yep, I have no idea. Not my specialty."

Anjel

Forum Angel
I just said "copy that" to my husband when he told me he was leaving for work.

I have got to go to bed

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
when you go on vacation, meet someone with an albuterol inhailer and beg that they don't have an attack

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
you call your dispatcher at one place the name of the dispatcher at another job

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
You run a red light on the way home from work in the morning, because you ran so many calls the during the night you forgot you needed to stop!

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
You run a red light on the way home from work in the morning, because you ran so many calls the during the night you forgot you needed to stop!

I hope you properly cleared the intersection

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Did a slow rolling stop, looked both ways, and rolled right through, just like in a real ambulance!

Didn't flash my brights, honk the horn, or toggle my interior reading lights, so technically I guess I was code 2? Who knows...there is a lot of gray in the Texas Traffic Code...