Yep, just failed my NREMT... Now a couple questions.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
EMT-B or EMT-P exam?

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
I wouldn't recommend studying from the book so much. I have taken many standardized tests (and done very well) and I have found that a text book isn't always the smartest way to study. You're going to feel inundated by alot of information and it might not be what NREMT is looking for.

The best thing I have found is to study review books. A review book focuses on what you need to know. It also condenses it into a reasonable amount of reading. The questions at the end of the chapters then reinforce what you have just read.

In high school I took 6 AP exams that my school didn't even offer and I passed them all. I did it with review books. I think that's pretty much proof you can beat a test if you know what they want. You are probably very knowledgeable but you just don't know what the test is looking for.

Good idea. That should be the last thing I need...now to find the best review book out there. From what I've read I don't see any consensus on one book or another, which is interesting.

EMT-B or EMT-P exam?

EMT-B...yeah should be a walk in the park.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If through the class you were only able to assimilate 75% of the information, I would suggest that you re-take the class rather than try to zero in on the best way to pass the test with the least amount of effort.

Your lack of investment into the learning process scares me a little bit. You seem to have been okay with barely passing grades in class because the instructor assured you that you could probably get your cert. That piece of paper, even if you do find a way to get it, isn't going to help you when you are one on one with a patient who's issues are in the 25% catagory of things you didn't bother to learn.

You either are invested in learning these skills or you are not, you are either willing to put in the time and effort or you are not. Take the class again. If the tuition is an issue, try just auditing the class then re-take the test. If you think this is too much to ask, then find another career.

Last edited by a moderator:

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
Good idea. That should be the last thing I need...now to find the best review book out there. From what I've read I don't see any consensus on one book or another, which is interesting.

EMT-B...yeah should be a walk in the park.

When I took AP Biology (a class that I wasn't really too confident about) I bought two review books. I think it helped because different books cover different things so each book kind of complemented each other well. Maybe that is something for you to consider.

I really liked Barron's, by the way.

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
If through the class you were only able to assimilate 75% of the information, I would suggest that you re-take the class rather than try to zero in on the best way to pass the test with the least amount of effort.

Your lack of investment into the learning process scares me a little bit. You seem to have been okay with barely passing grades in class because the instructor assured you that you could probably get your cert. That piece of paper, even if you do find a way to get it, isn't going to help you when you are one on one with a patient who's issues are in the 25% catagory of things you didn't bother to learn.

You either are invested in learning these skills or you are not, you are either willing to put in the time and effort or you are not. Take the class again. If the tuition is an issue, try just auditing the class then re-take the test. If you think this is too much to ask, then find another career.

You missed my other post in this topic. I said "I hate that I failed but I like the fact I need to know this before I'm going to pass. I want to learn!
Here's my new formula which I'm sure will change----

60% Book Study (reading reading and more reading)
20% Sample Tests (preping for the test and learning where I need to study)
10% Practicals (even though I passed with flying colors...just to sink it all in again)
10% flash cards (memorization, HR's, BP's, R's, rule of 9's etc)

Taking the class again would be silly. It's just a matter of taking too much time off after class. The test is tough, has this has to be fresh in your mind.

mxjagracer

Forum Probie
I found this awesome book. Its by Morrisons media. Its called something like EMT-P secrets, or secrets for the EMT-P.

It helped me immensely. Its not like a normal study guide that tries to regurgitate everything you have already learned. It basically breaks down the test even into explaining the ways that registry words their questions. For example, if you notice, you can always eliminate two answers that are just flat wrong. The last two will basically be the same answer, or at least two possibilities that would be reasonable answers. But you can always eliminate one answer by the way registry used words such as "always", or "sometimes", or "exactly", etc., etc.,

Anyone I have recommended this book to and has used it has passed on their next try. It has S&S in it and all kinds of things. Just an all around great guide.

http://www.mo-media.com/emt/

Read about it there. Trust me, you will be happy with it.

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the heads up on that...I'll keep that option open, however at this point in the game I feel that if I study my books and JB test questions I'll pass. It's just going to take a little more study time.

mxjagracer

Forum Probie
Alright, but this is coming from a guy who had seven of those crap study guides, till i found the one I was telling you about. TRUST ME!! It will make you pass. The fact is, that NR tells you that the test is not set up to fail you. But it really is. Trust me. And the guide will tell you how.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Alright, but this is coming from a guy who had seven of those crap study guides, till i found the one I was telling you about. TRUST ME!! It will make you pass. The fact is, that NR tells you that the test is not set up to fail you. But it really is. Trust me. And the guide will tell you how.

The only thing that will make you pass the test is knowing the material. The only thing that will cause you to fail the test is NOT knowing the material.

And how are we to "trust" you if we don't know you? What works for you may not work for the next person. And as far as reading about it on their site, I would expect no less from a company looking to make money by selling it's product.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The fact is, that NR tells you that the test is not set up to fail you. But it really is. Trust me. And the guide will tell you how.
The "fact" is that three out of every four candidates pass the exam the first time, and it is written at the 8th grade level. I think if they were trying to fail mass quantities, they'd do a lot better job than that, wouldn't they?

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
The only thing that will make you pass the test is knowing the material. The only thing that will cause you to fail the test is NOT knowing the material.

It can't really be that simple can it?:rolleyes:

Sasha

Forum Chief
The "fact" is that three out of every four candidates pass the exam the first time, and it is written at the 8th grade level. I think if they were trying to fail mass quantities, they'd do a lot better job than that, wouldn't they?

Maybe they just do a really good job of educating in that 110 hours!

On a semi related note, something I found incredibly funny in the bookstore yesterday.

The phlebotomy test review guide is bigger in both page number and book size then a paramedic review book by the same company, and with fewer pictures!!

JPINFV

Gadfly
^
Didn't you realize by now that EMS doesn't use text books? We use picture books! Maybe soon our books can advance from picture books to popup books, after all that would be really cool!

JPINFV

Gadfly

[sarcasm] That's so sad. No heart! No emotion! How can we expect people to feel good about them if we keep failing them! Is really all EMS just cold, hard, cruel facts with no heart, love, or emotion?[/sarcasm]

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member

Yes, you do not have to be an MD to pass this exam. It's still a hard test though. There's a lot of material to cover and memorize. Personally I think saying it's written at an 8th grade level downplays professional EMT's. Fact or no fact...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes, you do not have to be an MD to pass this exam. It's still a hard test though. There's a lot of material to cover and memorize. Personally I think saying it's written at an 8th grade level downplays professional EMT's. Fact or no fact...

You nailed it! That's a fact. There is no professionalism based upon a program that uses one single text book written at a 8'th grade level. One can act professional, but remember it is just an entry level.

The reason it was hard it is because it was new to you or you did not study properly.
Hang in there, it really rough up the higher food chain, but in comparison to other health care professions a piece of cake.

R/r 911

JPINFV

Gadfly
Are you arguing that the reading level of the test isn't low or just arguing that the low reading level shouldn't be pointed out least we hurt someone's feelings?

EMTSteve0

Forum Probie
Do you have the most current Brady book? (assuming you do) Here's what you need to do. Know your shock. Know your ABCs (in that order.) Know how to administer medication. Know what you need to do before administering. I mean seriously read each question and ask "What is the first thing that needs to happen?" Is the scene safe? Do you have BSI? How many patients? Any additional resources? Once you get passed that then do your general impression, LOCs, and ABCs.....If patient is alert and oriented, then proceed to your exams (depending on MOI or COC)....Simple right? I know how frustrated you may be....I just took mine after 3 months of letting my book collect dust due to military obligations, but it is based upson common sense with what you have been taught for the scenarios. However there are questions that require you to have specific knowledge on, for example psi in O2 cylinders...all sizes. What about components or nomenclature for O2? You see what I mean? Go through the book and highlight the pertinent info as well as trying to remember certain questions on the NREMT and go through the entire chapter for that question. Now I have the latest Brady edition (I believe teh 9th or 10th) but you should really pay attention to the noted boxes...I had a few that were on my test that te answer was in small print.....You can't argue with the company for not having the answer because it was astericked in a font size of 4 (just like my experience on getting a 5 dollar Philly-cheese steak from subway, but was exempt in the microscopic lettering on the ad after the sandwich chef pointed it out for me...azzholes.) The book is really all you need, although practical exams are a good indicator of highlighting your comprehension of the material. As far as your 75% in the class; the course I took kicked people out of the class if they fell below an 80%...........You usually take 10% off of your grade for the class and that's about what you'd score on the NREMT from what I'm told. Anyways, point blank....do your best and know your material. I have confidence in you, so pop open that book, quit replying, and get to studying.......B)

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyways, point blank....do your best and know your material.
Quoted for emphasis.

And notice that he did not say to memorize your material. Knowing it and memorizing it are two different things. If you know the material, you cannot fail the test. If you are failing, you do not know the material, and trying harder to memorize it is not likely to help you.

medic417

The Truth Provider
You usually take 10% off of your grade for the class and that's about what you'd score on the NREMT from what I'm told.

Actually in good program you should score 10 points higher on NR if they still gave you a grade. But point is if you attend a good program NR exam should be easy in comparision to your course exams.