Worst Call you've ever gotten ?

Ped101

Forum Crew Member
As we get hilarious calls and awesome, we sometimes get the worst of the worst

Mine was about two months ago, in a saturday night @ 2 A.M, we get called to a fire in a house with chidren trapped inside of it

We get there and the FF's are putting out the fire, the house burned to the grounds and they said that there was nothing to do, however we needed to confirm the death,

Thats when two policemen signal us to a place where the bodies of a 3 year old and a 5 year old lay there, completely burned

That one took my sleep for a couple of days

MayEMT

Forum Crew Member
wow

im sorry ped101, thats a horrible story

i had my first bad trauma the other day... a 1& 1/2 year old was accidently ran over by his aunt... the tire only ran over his head and his skull was wide open with brain matter falling out in chunks... it didnt even look real. it was such chaos on scene. the only thing that came out good from that was that he became an organ donor

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have had many traumas. Nothing as bad as mentioned but bad none the less.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I've had a little boy that was struck by a car and the back of his skull was crushed. That was several years ago. A couple years ago, we had a little girl that was mauled by a dog and her arm was barely attached to her shoulder. Surprisingly, surgeons were able to save it, and she has use of it.

In general, the peds calls are the hardest for me. Fortunately, there haven't been alot of bad ones over the past 10 years for me.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Havnt done much, but the one with the most profound impact on me was;

Tx of a 40ish lady
Severe mental retardation
G-tube
J-tube
Contractures
Status Epiliticus
Diabetes
Blindness
Severe spastic quadriplegia

All from birth.

Just looking at her made me think about my views on a few controversial subjects.

medic417

The Truth Provider
This has been discussed many times. A search will bring up many calls that have caused some sleepless nights.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

The phone call that says your relief is not coming in and your going to have to stay another 24 hours..........

medic417

The Truth Provider
The phone call that says your relief is not coming in and your going to have to stay another 24 hours..........

I hate even more when you realize you've had no sleep for 48 hours and even worse you haven't been able to stop, wash, and put on clean underwear.:blink:

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
What a nasty thread

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
One of the reasons I left Charleston County EMS was the fairly frequent forced OT, typically for 12-24 hours after your busy 24 already. It's dangerous to hold personnel for that long, both on the road, and for pt care. NYC has a 16 hour cap on consecutive work hours in EMS for those very reasons. Fairfax County draws the line at 36 hours. You guys need a union. My worst call was treating a mangled dude who leaned over to look for the train(#7, Roosevelt Ave at Junction Blvd in Queens), leaned too far, and fell down to the tracks. A/P eyewitness, he appeared drunk, and couldn't get back up in time. There wasn't really much left to him, but we don't have authority to pronounce without working the pt, unless obvious signs of death were present. Once you start working the pt, you're basically stuck until you reach the hosp, in a trauma situation. FF's began CPR while packaging the pt, so we had to continue after receiving the pt. Typically, pts along this line will be pushed past the station, where there is no platform beneath the tracks. Then, you're searching the street below for limbs and other assorted body parts. Tied for second worst are transporting a pt with a perfed colostomy, and the 1 week plus dead person in an apt, in summer, with no AC.

Epi-do

I see dead people
and the 1 week plus dead person in an apt, in summer, with no AC.

Please tell me you worked for a company that was responsible for doing body transports for the coroner, something similar. I can't think of any other reason, what so ever, to put that person inside the back of my truck.

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
Please tell me you worked for a company that was responsible for doing body transports for the coroner, something similar. I can't think of any other reason, what so ever, to put that person inside the back of my truck.

Buncombe County does transports of bodies here in WNC. :wacko:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If you can recall your worse call, you haven't been doing long enough.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
eeeerrmm..... not really... got partners that have been doing this for 15 years and can still recall their worse call

The one they recall may not actually have been the worst. Rather it may be the one they remember because of the location, patient resembling a family member, type of car, smell or some other sensory triggering mechanism that puts it into vivid memory storage.

OP
OP
Ped101

Ped101

Forum Crew Member
But doesn't that make it the worst call for them? The thread asks about the personal worse calls

Mine was the two burned to death kids because, well they were kids

But the most intesne trauma call i got was yersteday, skull fx. Femur fx. Exposed humerus fx. cephallic mass exposure,

Not the worse call, but the most intense

Sasha

Forum Chief

medic417

The Truth Provider