ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Ahhhemmmm

signadmin1.gif

rchristi

Forum Crew Member
A different example

Here is a different field where no degree is required yet pays very well. Because there is one entity setting and enforcing high standard, the nuclear power industry pays its operators well and still has a shortage of people.
Check this link out for a comprehensive system of licensing and continuing training.
http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operator-licensing.html

I am not saying it is the only right answer, but it is an example

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Just for the record, one of my college instructors worked full time as a welder and part time as an instructor. I asked him why he made so much, and he said it was due to the short supply of highly skilled welders. There are tons of people out there that can weld, but very few who have mastered all the different types of welding.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The point is welders, carpenters, artists or whatever have learned long ago how to make themselves marketable even if it means getting an education by way of a college in the area they want to specialize in. If everybody was a trade school 6 weeks or less welder and that was the only need, wages would not be as high nor would the demand be there.

Other healthcare professions have also learned this.

EMTs (and Paramedics) have essentially stayed the same for 40 years with little or no advancement especially in the area of education. When the ARC courses out number the EMT in total hours of training, there is a problem in the industry.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Vent I agree lack of education leads to low wages. It is sad that the local carhop makes as much if not more than those that are supposed to be medical professionals. It is time EMS steps up and demands improvement. Close the diploma mills and require higher education for all levels that will exist in this profession.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Vent I agree lack of education leads to low wages. It is sad that the local carhop makes as much if not more than those that are supposed to be medical professionals. It is time EMS steps up and demands improvement. Close the diploma mills and require higher education for all levels that will exist in this profession.

well from what ive been reading in the news it looking like its starting to go in that direction. At least at the medic level, Ive heard of one state now that will only accept medic from accredited programs and I've heard of some other states that are going that direction. Personally I think they should make all medic programs as least AS programs, at least then they will have some sort of a degree, and even though it might not change how good of a medic they are in the eyes of the public having a degree makes you that much more respectable as a profession. But thats my little rant, like personally if i end up going the medic route I'm only going to go to one of the programs that is an AS for medic.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
When i finish paramedic school, I will actually have a Associates Degree. Not sure if it is going to be in paramedicine or emergency medicine.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Here's an example

During our class, we had an instructor (a flight medic) ask the class how many wanted to be flight medics. Most hands went up. He then asked how many would be willing to do it for free. Most of the hands stayed up. He then said "I hate you." His point being that if we, as a profession, are willing to to work for nothing or next to nothing, that is what we would be making.

Sasha

Forum Chief
When i finish paramedic school, I will actually have a Associates Degree. Not sure if it is going to be in paramedicine or emergency medicine.

I will too! The associates degree is in Emergency Medicine. ^_^

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
During our class, we had an instructor (a flight medic) ask the class how many wanted to be flight medics. Most hands went up. He then asked how many would be willing to do it for free. Most of the hands stayed up. He then said "I hate you." His point being that if we, as a profession, are willing to to work for nothing or next to nothing, that is what we would be making.

Sweet! Nice tactic....................

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sweet! Nice tactic....................

And so true! I was shocked to find out that outside of Florida a lot of the EMS service is strictly volunteer.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Most of it is volly here.

There's a couple of large (mostly transport) companies, but just about every municipality is served by a 2-rig volunteer corps. Some have leased EMTs through a local hospital to cover staffing when vollies are unable. Others have started hiring part-timers to supplement the volly shortage. Countywide, I can think of maybe seven or eight companies that serve a municipality (usually a township) that are mostly paid (not leased). Why the companies don't hire more of their own? Most can't afford it. And every EMT worth their cert is lining up at the few places that do--the hospitals included.

As far as ALS... Well, the big companies usually run MICUs and provide ALS service for their area of response. Outside of that, There's two hospitals with ALSUs that run chase trucks. I think there's three indie MICU stations, all of which are fire-based.

That's what it looks like by me...

Later!

--Coop

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Here is a different field where no degree is required yet pays very well. Because there is one entity setting and enforcing high standard, the nuclear power industry pays its operators well and still has a shortage of people.
Check this link out for a comprehensive system of licensing and continuing training.
http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operator-licensing.html

I am not saying it is the only right answer, but it is an example

OOOOOH! Don't go there:sad: I worked in the field for 22 years and had a license for 16 of them. There is a lack of licensed operators because it is hard to get and keep a license. Since the failure rate is high on the training , they are very selective on who starts the training. I have seen retired Navy sub commanders fail out of the class. Then there is the retraining, I averaged 400 hours of classroom retraining every year. This is classroom, not self study time. Failure at any of the training/retraining meant more training and possible job loss.

I needed something more relaxing so I got into EMS.:wacko:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I will too! The associates degree is in Emergency Medicine. ^_^

You can't recieve a degree in medicine. It maybe emergency medical technology, Paramedicine.. but a degree in medicine is an M. D.

R/r 911

Foxbat

Forum Captain
You can't recieve a degree in medicine. It maybe emergency medical technology, Paramedicine.. but a degree in medicine is an M. D.
R/r 911

Actually, you can...
https://www.shrs.pitt.edu/CMS/Departments/EM.asp?id=181

Undergraduate Degree in Emergency Medicine

The University of Pittsburgh offers an undergraduate program in emergency medicine. Students are provided with a strong foundation in clinical experiences, educational expertise, and administrative leadership

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Actually, you can...
https://www.shrs.pitt.edu/CMS/Departments/EM.asp?id=181

Undergraduate Degree in Emergency Medicine

The University of Pittsburgh offers an undergraduate program in emergency medicine. Students are provided with a strong foundation in clinical experiences, educational expertise, and administrative leadership

This is the School of Medicine for that university.
http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/

The program your are referring to is under Health and Rehab aka Allied Health.

Sasha

Forum Chief

R/r 911

Hey Im just stating what my director said it was. I dont have it yet. Check back in three semesters and Ill let you know.

rchristi

Forum Crew Member
OOOOOH! Don't go there:sad: I worked in the field for 22 years and had a license for 16 of them. There is a lack of licensed operators because it is hard to get and keep a license. Since the failure rate is high on the training , they are very selective on who starts the training. I have seen retired Navy sub commanders fail out of the class. Then there is the retraining, I averaged 400 hours of classroom retraining every year. This is classroom, not self study time. Failure at any of the training/retraining meant more training and possible job loss.

I needed something more relaxing so I got into EMS.:wacko:

That is also why 150K a year is not too uncommon an income even though no degree is required, only excellence upheld by strict consistent standards. The Nuclear industry is tough, but the pay is good.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
That is also why 150K a year is not too uncommon an income even though no degree is required, only excellence upheld by strict consistent standards. The Nuclear industry is tough, but the pay is good.
So...what you're saying is that when standards are high, when standards are enforced, and the only acceptable level is excellence pay increases?

Wow...suddenly the reason the US EMS system is so screwed is starting to make sense...;)

captchaz55

Forum Probie
Little money...

Big reward though. I work with the NYS Department of Conservation, talk about little pay, It pays half of what I made as a EMT-Basic for the top hospital based EMS system on Long Island.