Why does EMT job pay so little money?

RESQ-ME

Forum Ride Along
Emt pay

I'm a volunteer EMT student now and I agree those in the field who are in career need more $. But if yoou want the big $ you need to be a nurse these days. Considering there will be a shortage of 500,000 nurses in 2014. I'd get the education and go for a specialty. Just my thoughts!

medic417

The Truth Provider
I'm a volunteer EMT student now and I agree those in the field who are in career need more $. But if yoou want the big $ you need to be a nurse these days. Considering there will be a shortage of 500,000 nurses in 2014. I'd get the education and go for a specialty. Just my thoughts!

Oh but in EMS if people did not give their services away for free we could see higher pay as well.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty hard to get more money for a position when its so easy to get into and so many people are willing to do it for free.

Here in western Canada we have volly, paid on call and full time and our full times EMT's make aroud 20-25 dollars per hour and our aramedics make roughly 30-35 dollars per hour. The EMT's and paramedics can make more tha that if they go industrial such as oil fields mining etc. They make that much even though we have volly depts. My service is paid on call.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
If you want "alot more respect" maybe you should get a lot more education first.

If you want money while working EMS, come to Ontario, get an education, and you'll be paid accordingly.
Come to Alberta instead after you get more education. You will probably get more money.

RESQ-ME

Forum Ride Along
EMT Volunteers

I like the EMS community....just saying if your unhappy with the pay do something else. Nobody forces anybody to do the job they pick. I'm a teacher and all I hear is we're paid too much. I wish people would stop crying and take responsiblity for who they are and what they do. If you don't like it --quit. Do something else. People choose their own careers -- nobody forces them to do it. Plus, half of the time I'm at the squad station your waiting around to do something, so your getting paid to wait and study etc. Might as well use the time to further your education etc.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I like the EMS community....just saying if your unhappy with the pay do something else. Nobody forces anybody to do the job they pick. I'm a teacher and all I hear is we're paid too much. I wish people would stop crying and take responsiblity for who they are and what they do. If you don't like it --quit. Do something else. People choose their own careers -- nobody forces them to do it. Plus, half of the time I'm at the squad station your waiting around to do something, so your getting paid to wait and study etc. Might as well use the time to further your education etc.

Some people are actually in this profession because they have a passion for people and medicine.

Whenever someone tries to change it, people whine. When they try to increase educational standards people whine. When they try to increase pay people whine. So those who are trying to take responsiblity and change things are getting met with incessant whining.

Something worth noting, I believe. Essentially, fire fighters perform the same job as EMTs and Paramedics. (At least around here, there aren't many good workable fires.) They also get paid signficantly more.

Fire Fighters
Minimum annual base salary Maximum annual base salary
Fire chief $73,435 $95,271
Deputy chief 66,420 84,284
Assistant fire chief 61,887 78,914
Battalion chief 62,199 78,611
Fire captain 51,808 62,785
Fire lieutenant 47,469 56,511
Engineer 43,232 56,045

EMTs and Paramedics
Earnings of EMTs and paramedics depend on the employment setting and geographic location of their jobs, as well as their training and experience. Median annual earnings of EMTs and paramedics were $27,070 in May 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $21,290 and $35,210. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $17,300, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $45,280. Median annual earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of EMTs and paramedics in May 2006 were $23,250 in general medical and surgical hospitals and $20,350 in ambulance services.

My source for both of these were the occupational outlook handbook, which can be accessed at this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Start really comparing the pay & you will see that it is almost equal and in some areas medics make more. There is a lot of propaganda about $50-75/hr travel jobs, but those are almost a thing of the past. Figure, most you have deduct taxes and other stuff, you are not making that extreme amount of pay and trust me, if you do; then you have probably earned it.

R/r911

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Essentially, fire fighters perform the same job as EMTs and Paramedics. (At least around here, there aren't many good workable fires.)
Firefighters are payed not only for what they do but for what they can do (in addition to their medical training).

medic417

The Truth Provider
Firefighters are payed not only for what they do but for what they can do (in addition to their medical training).

Paramedics can do more and do more actual work so by your theory they should be paid more than a firefighter.

Sasha

Forum Chief

At least in my area, there are very few workable fires (Installation of sprinkler systems, stricter fire codes, flame resistant building materials helps with cutting them down, so I'm pretty sure this is a more universal thing), there is little more that they "can do" most of the time. I don't feel it warrants such a harsh pay difference from that of a paramedic or an EMT.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
You need to shop around, there are systems out there paying well, unfortunately they are few and far between, and generally a fresh out of school medic won't be walking into one of those jobs.