Why are Paramedics paid so little?

lateralligator

Forum Crew Member
It's interesting to follow this thread, as I consider changing careers at 48. I had no idea that the public perception of paramedics was so devaluing.

I have a pretty high IQ and a graduate-level education. I've been a massage therapist for almost 20 years. I have always known that, had I chosen to be a doctor, I could have gone to med school and become one. I have NOT always thought, "Hey, I can be a paramedic anytime. Easy peasy." No, I thought,":censored::censored::censored::censored:, I could NEVER do that. That's intense." Until recently. I don't presently have "M.D." after my name. I have "L.M.T." after my name. And in my world and value system, what I do for others is just as important. I have simply been doing it •long enough• and want a change and new challenges. I've never perceived EMT personnel as less-than.

Anyway. :mellow:

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
Its not all about the title or the reputation, its about you, its about being pationate about helping others. I went from getting payed well to getting payed as low as a fast food employee in ems but its not about the money either its about being happy in what you do.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Its not all about the title or the reputation, its about you, its about being pationate about helping others. I went from getting payed well to getting payed as low as a fast food employee in ems but its not about the money either its about being happy in what you do.

I used to believe this.

I love what I do. If I didn't need the money I would do it for free, with the same passion I have for it now. (Sometimes I can't believe people pay me for it.)

But... The fact of the matter is I do need the money and so do all of the EMS people I know.

I do more than my fair share of pro bono work, but as far as employment is concerned,

"Show me the money,"

otherwise we have nothing further to talk about.

Title and reputation doesn't buy goods and service.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Hence the reason I am in nursing school. I want to make more money with less responsibility.

terrible one

Always wandering
I went from getting payed well to getting payed as low as a fast food employee in ems but its not about the money either its about being happy in what you do.

Could it be more cliché?

It’s real easy to tell someone to do what they love and money doesn’t matter until reality sets in. EMS has historically been a young person’s occupation with the majority of its members leaving for better paying, more stable careers after only a few years.

If most in EMS were doing it because it is what they love, regardless of pay or conditions, why is there such a high turnover rate? How many actually retire from working in the field with EMS being their sole occupation? Less than 5%? maybe?

I’d warn anyone looking at EMS because it makes them ‘happy’ to start looking at the real facts. Can you support a family on this income? (regardless if you have a family yet or not) Can you afford to purchase a home? Are you able to retire on an EMS salary? Is there a possibility of a transition of management or the company you work for being sold, bought out, or taken over by fire in the near future?

At least once a week there is a thread about someone transitioning into EMS from a much more lucrative career because they are unhappy with their current job. While the switch may be refreshing at first how long before financial stress, sleeping patterns, a bad call, jaded partners wear them done and they are just as unhappy as before on half the salary?

Again it’s real easy for younger members or those who haven’t been doing this job long and who also don’t have a mortgage, family to support, or retirement concerns to think about go on and on about how great this job at minimum wage. But these same members will probably move on to FD, PD, RN, MD after a few years, then the next batch will come in and state the same thing continuing this illusion that money doesn’t matter and satisfaction from your work will sustain you through life.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
In the upside to things, you can always feel like a millionaire at a 99¢ store ... lol, hey, do what you guys like, paramedics might be another stepping stones to another carrier, RN is popular, or RTs, or PAs ... and if you guys can't afford it get a loan, it will be payed for within your first years in your new carrier. As for me I will be pursuing my paramedics next year love this industry and will continue to excel to MC Donald's supervisor pay .. lol

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
When you are young, 20-30ish, you need to make some money, get a place as in own, pay it off, then when your 50ish your mortgage is paid, what you do after that, just has to pay for travel, groceries and other small expenses. The trick is, own property as young as you can, then no more rent increases, and cost of living goes down. Worked for me, now I can live with modest income and do what I like to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
When you are young, 20-30ish, you need to make some money, get a place as in own, pay it off, then when your 50ish your mortgage is paid, what you do after that, just has to pay for travel, groceries and other small expenses. The trick is, own property as young as you can, then no more rent increases, and cost of living goes down. Worked for me, now I can live with modest income and do what I like to do.

That is definately one way to do it.

I chose another.

Find a profession that earns you enough to support yourself and your family and not own property to maintain mobility.

My question is not whether or not I will have enough money, my question is what country would I like to live in next?

Your milage may vary.

MikeC

Forum Crew Member
Trust me with this advice because I have seen several people go the route Im going to recommend. They are doing what they love, are very happy and more importantly financialy secure.

Get your RN out of the way then do what you need to get your medic cert. With a nursing job you will have a schedule that better allows for you to pursue your outside interests. Your pay could be double if not more than what you would be able to make as a medic.

Also with the higher education your going to be a valuable asset to any agencies EMS operation paid or volunteer. You will be a better educated field provider and your ability to teach others will be greatly enhanced. Its a win all the way around.

Long but good thread.

I'm currently an EMT-B student. The local ambulance company hires EMT-B at $10.00 an hour. From what I'm TOLD (which is frustrating as it seems to be often different that what is HAPPENING), part-time positions at an EMT are easy to come by. I graduate in a month and expect to pass both the written as well as psychomotor exams. I'm the top student in my class. It seems a majority of my class is struggling with the material.

The topic of Paramedic vs RN is of great interest as I have all the college courses required for application to an RN program. It's more expensive however, but with greater income potential and it seems better career versatility. I'm looking at doing exactly what was posted here. I applied to a local BSN accelerated nursing program and will know pretty shortly whether I was accepted. After obtaining the RN with an already existing EMT-B, I plan on focusing on taking the test to also become a Paramedic.

Contrary to what is posted here, there is a demand for Paramedics where I currently live in mid-south PA. I have no idea what they are starting Paramedics at our relatively high call volume location, but from what I hear it's not all that great.

So it seems that there is more at play than SIMPLY supply and demand concepts. I have a feeling it has more to do with reimbursement constructs within Medicare and Medicaid. Ultimately there is only so much money to be paid people.

I could be wrong. Just getting my feet wet in EMS. As the pay is pretty low, I'm doing it mostly for personal growth and learning to be able to serve in a variety of capacities. I could make more than $10/hour locally, but working as an EMT provides personal growth where I can utilize my skills to assist the community.

Whether I can financially work in this field with my multiple current part-time jobs is yet to be seen. I'm hoping to get on with a couple companies part-time, as full-time work is hard to come by. I am unable to volunteer. Ultimately, I have bills that need paid.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
5 year.jpg

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Long but good thread.

I'm currently an EMT-B student. The local ambulance company hires EMT-B at $10.00 an hour. From what I'm TOLD (which is frustrating as it seems to be often different that what is HAPPENING), part-time positions at an EMT are easy to come by. I graduate in a month and expect to pass both the written as well as psychomotor exams. I'm the top student in my class. It seems a majority of my class is struggling with the material.

The topic of Paramedic vs RN is of great interest as I have all the college courses required for application to an RN program. It's more expensive however, but with greater income potential and it seems better career versatility. I'm looking at doing exactly what was posted here. I applied to a local BSN accelerated nursing program and will know pretty shortly whether I was accepted. After obtaining the RN with an already existing EMT-B, I plan on focusing on taking the test to also become a Paramedic.

Contrary to what is posted here, there is a demand for Paramedics where I currently live in mid-south PA. I have no idea what they are starting Paramedics at our relatively high call volume location, but from what I hear it's not all that great.

So it seems that there is more at play than SIMPLY supply and demand concepts. I have a feeling it has more to do with reimbursement constructs within Medicare and Medicaid. Ultimately there is only so much money to be paid people.

I could be wrong. Just getting my feet wet in EMS. As the pay is pretty low, I'm doing it mostly for personal growth and learning to be able to serve in a variety of capacities. I could make more than $10/hour locally, but working as an EMT provides personal growth where I can utilize my skills to assist the community.

Whether I can financially work in this field with my multiple current part-time jobs is yet to be seen. I'm hoping to get on with a couple companies part-time, as full-time work is hard to come by. I am unable to volunteer. Ultimately, I have bills that need paid.
Just so you know, in most parts of the country, getting your medic after passing your nclex is more than just taking a test. You'll have to complete a paramedic program just like anyone else. PA, however, does recognize prehospital RNs, something most of the country does not.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

MikeC

Forum Crew Member
Just so you know, in most parts of the country, getting your medic after passing your nclex is more than just taking a test. You'll have to complete a paramedic program just like anyone else. PA, however, does recognize prehospital RNs, something most of the country does not.

According to w w w nasemso dot org RNs in Pennsylvania can sit for the exam for Paramedic.

In their words, "Pennsylvania We allow RNs to “test out” as an Paramedic".

I've also been informed by Paramedics in the state that RN's can "challenge" the exam without going through a year of Paramedic school.

It seems the same is true for Maryland, which is the location I look to work in.

unfortunately I can't post the actual link until I have 5 posts.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
According to w w w nasemso dot org RNs in Pennsylvania can sit for the exam for Paramedic.

In their words, "Pennsylvania We allow RNs to “test out” as an Paramedic".

I've also been informed by Paramedics in the state that RN's can "challenge" the exam without going through a year of Paramedic school.

unfortunately I can't post the actual link until I have 5 posts.
I was under the impression PA was a registry state. If that's the case then it might get interesting since registry doesn't allow a nurse to sit for the registry exam without first taking a paramedic course

Last edited:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
And looking here
http://www.nasemso.org/legislation/Pennsylvania/pavii1003.21.html
It doesn't seem to have a loophole for nurses to challenge the test. But with PA having PHRNs recognized it doesn't seem to be needed. Maryland I'm not sure about but I was under the impression they, too, were a registry state.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
OK got bored.
cd94c29197bba01dd2022c7332efc68e.jpg

Maryland might let you but it shows you still must be nationally registered

MikeC

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for posting Transport Jockey. Ultimately, because RN provides more financially and diversity, if I had to choose between the two I'd have to pick RN. I think I'd enjoy as well as do well in emergency medicine; however.

So question, if I was to sit for the Paramedic exam in MD as a RN, will that license be transferable to other states?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Thanks for posting Transport Jockey. Ultimately, because RN provides more financially and diversity, if I had to choose between the two I'd have to pick RN. I think I'd enjoy as well as do well in emergency medicine; however.

So question, if I was to sit for the Paramedic exam in MD as a RN, will that license be transferable to other states?

Probably not. Most states require NREMT for initial licensure, and you can't obtain NREMT without attending an accredited program. But, the EMS world is full of loopholes, so YMMV.

MikeC

Forum Crew Member
Probably not. Most states require NREMT for initial licensure, and you can't obtain NREMT without attending an accredited program. But, the EMS world is full of loopholes, so YMMV.

Well I'll be NREMT licensed hopefully for EMT-B at the beginning of March. I should pass the tests with flying colors. Albeit what's posted here, I think a majority of my class is struggling with the volume of information and based upon the practice NREMT exam tests I've taken it's not an easy test. From talking to my instructors, they've had a pretty low pass rate in the past for the written exam.

I certainly don't believe "anyone" can pass the course or even function as a competent EMT-B even. It takes dedication. I really think those that aren't putting in that effort aren't going to make it, especially the first test around. We have some pretty good Paramedics in our local company, although they are short staffed at times.

With the risks EMS providers take on both physically and legally, I certainly believe they should be compensated better. The decisions they make directly impact someone's life, and often times they are putting their own life at risk. Carfentanil, Hydrogen sulfide gas, inhalation could easily kill first responders in small doses very quickly.

Pretty sad they don't even pay health insurance when it's sometimes mandatory for EMS responders to get vaccines, treatments to various exposures such as Meningitis, etc. I could go on and on, but I find it a bit appalling that all of this is starting at $10/hour. Oh well will do it for the experience as long as I can afford it, and then move on to something else. I can't afford making $10/hour for long. I'm currently making $13.50/hour at another part-time job in academia tutoring the sciences. That doesn't require insurance, cont ed, etc.

Overall I'm happy to have taken the course, but it looks like I won't be in it long. Ultimately bills need to be paid.