Where are your first partners now?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Through facebook, LinkedIn, and other social media, I find it odd that most of the people that I worked with in EMS ten years ago are no longer in EMS. Some went on to nursing and medical school, and others work in the ER, but few stay in EMS.

How many of the people you started with are still in EMS? Where are they?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My first partner is still an EMT at our company. My second partner is now a fire medic in the county next to us. My third partner I have no clue (I didn't like him at all). My fourth partner is now in a sheriff academy. My fifth partner is still a medic at our company.

Angel

Paramedic
Ive had a lot of partners over the years, but from my first job....
1 is doing pre reqs for nursing
3 are in medic school-1 is half done with his internship. I think hell make a great medic
2 who i mutually despised failed out of medic school (hahaha, ha!!)
1 is a medic at the same IFT company we were EMTs at, I think hes pursuing fire though
1 left to work as a medic in 911 about an hour away, he seems to get along great there. I couldnt stand it though
the rest are still EMTs at the same IFT company I started with. They seem to want nothing more from life but to do hospital discharges and complain about their jobs. Its kind of pathetic actually

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My first partner is working as a EMT at the company I just got hired at. Second and third are in medic school. Fourth is working at a rehab facility and the rest are either fired, quit, or still working at my old BLS IFT company. I really only keep in touch with the four listed above.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
My first partner was a 45 year old, who had worked as an EMT 10-15yrs earlier, but had recently lost his job when the economy tanked. Aside from being Sarah Connor level burnt out, he taught me a lot.

He was trying to unionize and multiple employees told him to lay low, since they heard management was out for him. I worked with him for about three weeks before he got fired for delaying calls and unprofessionalism on the radio after an on air fight with management. Never heard from him again.

My second partner, and truly my first real partner, was a super charismatic guy. As two new hires we got placed on a 24 together. We had a good time fumbling through calls and trying to problem solve situations we had no concept on how to handle. Some of my best memories are from those days. We worked together until the 24 shift broke us. He eventually went to medic school and landed as a FF/Medic for LA City.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
my first full time partner recently finished nursing school. the one after is now a grouchy medic (up from a grouchy EMT) at the same agency. the one after that is now a state corrections officer. and the one that I was partnered with before I left the agency is now going to school to be a surgical technician.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Unfortunately, my first partner is no longer around. He was killed in a motorcycle accident.

But glad to say, all of my subsequent partners are still alive and kickin'.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
My first partner is working as a medic in a local ER. The next one is now a minor supervisor at the same company.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
My first partner became a paramedic and works where I just got hired at a couple of months ago, lol.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Only one of the many people that I worked with on a semi-regular basis is no longer involved in EMS and he is a cop now I think. Everyone else is still an EMT or now a medic. Not all of them are still working at the same company though.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
I've had several, two have had back injuries and been forced out. One has moved to another field totally. One has became a supervisor as well.....I'm sure I'm missing a few.