What kind of underwear is best for EMS?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Seriously, didn't we do underwear at least once?

Too lazy to search, but if I remember it was about thermal underwear.

I believe Cavalry Store or its offspring have super trooper briefs or whatever.

And as for our distaff members, brassiers could probably make a bigger difference than shorts for us guy-types. MAN am I glad I never had to wear a harness for very long at a time (and then with chem warfare gear).

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I wear a sports bra and regular undies. I don't remember the special name for them but they're cotton and not fancy. The equivalent of briefs, but they aren't uncomfy.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Used to wear boxer-briefs, but they started bunching up which of course is incredibly uncomfortable, and I didn't enjoy reaching in my pockets and trying to pull them back down :p So, then I switched to briefs and haven't gone back, so much more comfortable. :ph34r:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
on the hot days i wear the underarmor boxer briefs, the O-series, feels like silk and no swamp ***. on the cool days i am either commando or plain boxers.

Anjel

Forum Angel
my ex has these

rot3965.jpg

and I've heard no bad things about these

509387705v4_150x150_Front.jpg

Ive found that the ones your ex wears is a better style for me. Thongs are out of the question while working, but the hipster boy briefs ive never had a problem with.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Ive found that the ones your ex wears is a better style for me. Thongs are out of the question while working, but the hipster boy briefs ive never had a problem with.

Absolutely no thongs. Anybody who has studied microbiology and anatomy should know that thongs are a biological no-no.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I'll bite... I've actually put a lot more time and effort into finding "good" underwear than I should probably admit...

My criteria:
  • Have to be nearly 100% cotton for breathability and comfort
  • Support
  • Comfort
  • Good Fly Opening
  • Durability (meaning holds its shape throughout the day without stretching out)
I currently wear Adidas stretch boxer briefs. They are a mixture of mostly cotton with some elastane/spandex/whatever stretchy stuff thrown in. They hold their shape throughout a day of sitting, standing, walking, riding a motorcycle, playing soccer, going to the gym, whatever. The fly is functional (this sounds silly but I've had several other brands where the fly just wasn't engineered properly - and nothing is worse than the bull constantly escaping the corral) - Abercrombie & Fitch made some good boxer briefs when i was in college, but they had NO fly opening, which is possibly worse when you're wearing a big gear belt and everything and you just want to take a leak (sorry ladies). Laugh if you will, but I tried 8 or 10 brands easily before settling on these. I don't have to worry about being uncomfortable in the slightest, and until they stop making them I don't worry about shopping for new underwear - I just stop by Kohls and pick up 6 pair for like $25.

I do only buy them in black, no whiteys for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Absolutely no thongs. Anybody who has studied microbiology and anatomy should know that thongs are a biological no-no.

you have sparked my curiosity. how is the underwear affecting microbial growth?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
you have sparked my curiosity. how is the underwear affecting microbial growth?

Butt floods underwear wicks the microbes from the back door right to the end of the short, straight female urethra. UTI set up, just add sweat.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'll bite... I've actually put a lot more time and effort into finding "good" underwear than I should probably admit...

My criteria:
  • Have to be nearly 100% cotton for breathability and comfort
  • Support
  • Comfort
  • Good Fly Opening
  • Durability (meaning holds its shape throughout the day without stretching out)
I currently wear Adidas stretch boxer briefs. They are a mixture of mostly cotton with some elastane/spandex/whatever stretchy stuff thrown in. They hold their shape throughout a day of sitting, standing, walking, riding a motorcycle, playing soccer, going to the gym, whatever. The fly is functional (this sounds silly but I've had several other brands where the fly just wasn't engineered properly - and nothing is worse than the bull constantly escaping the corral) - Abercrombie & Fitch made some good boxer briefs when i was in college, but they had NO fly opening, which is possibly worse when you're wearing a big gear belt and everything and you just want to take a leak (sorry ladies). Laugh if you will, but I tried 8 or 10 brands easily before settling on these. I don't have to worry about being uncomfortable in the slightest, and until they stop making them I don't worry about shopping for new underwear - I just stop by Kohls and pick up 6 pair for like $25.

I do only buy them in black, no whiteys for me.

All this time I've thought you were a woman. Insane, the things im learning today.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I just go for the regular cheap boxers at WalMart. I had an accident 2 years ago, got the nickname splits for it, and I had to wear boxer briefs until the stitches were removed and I hated them.

nemedic

Forum Captain
I personally go commando. If it's really cold, I'll go with the UA compression shorts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
All this time I've thought you were a woman. Insane, the things im learning today.

Yeah, I realized this the other day in chat with Brown. The "Dixie" part probably doesn't help. It originally started out as a reference to one of my favorite books, Neuromancer by William Gibson

The Dixie Flatline
A famous computer hacker named McCoy Pauley, who earned his nickname by surviving three "flat-lines" while trying to crack an AI. He was one of the men who taught Case how to hack computers. Before his death, Sense/Net saved the contents of his mind onto a ROM. Case and Molly steal the ROM and Dixie helps them complete their mission.

I used this name as a kid playing video games and stuff, usually just shortened to "flatline" - which seemed apropos for such a forum, but alas that name was already taken here at EMTLife.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Butt floods underwear wicks the microbes from the back door right to the end of the short, straight female urethra. UTI set up, just add sweat.
and yet, i know many many women who wear them, have no panty lines, and prefer them to other types of underwear, and don't get UTIs all the time.

and to those who go commando, just make sure your genitals don't end up scraping against the zipper. and ewwww?

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
and to those who go commando, just make sure your genitals don't end up scraping against the zipper. and ewwww?

button fly, for the win

Anjel

Forum Angel
and yet, i know many many women who wear them, have no panty lines, and prefer them to other types of underwear, and don't get UTIs all the time.

In ems and wear them at work? For 12 to 24 hrs at a time while literally sweating your butt off? I doubt it.

Leanne

Forum Ride Along
For me, I wear the underwear you can buy at Wal-mart. Like the usual Hanes or Fruit of the Looms hipsters or bikinis simply because they cover enough. When I was in an LPN program, I heard enough horror stories of young nursing students accidentally flashing thongs and being forced to go and change. I've even heard of a doctor firing an RN. I imagine it would be 60 times worse as an EMT on a fire department since I am the only girl under 35 on the department.

Tommerag

What day is it?
I wear under armor box briefs

Epi-do

I see dead people
In ems and wear them at work? For 12 to 24 hrs at a time while literally sweating your butt off? I doubt it.

They are all I wear. Once I made the switch, I hate to wear "regular" panties. In fact, I couldn't tell you the last time I didn't wear a thong.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
i go commando!!!