What is your weight training routine?

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
That's way too much training with the full body workouts, you're overtraining. Split it up with different muscle groups throughout the week.

No it's not too much training. The whole work out is done in about 30 minutes. I do light and fast, not trying to build muscle just get tone. I'm a female, don't want bulging muscles.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Im partial to 12oz curls. I try to work that body part daily.

HatchetHarry

Forum Crew Member
If you're done recovering after 48 hours, then it sounds like your workout didn't last a whole lot longer then a few minutes.:wacko:

48 hours is plenty of time if your doing a good full body workout. Ill do a 5 exercise compound lift full body workout with deads or squats until I puke then ill be perfectly fine in 48 hours ready for another one.

sop

Forum Lieutenant
I like the old way of fitness training.
Warm-up
Push-ups
Pull-ups
Curling jugs of water
Squats
Leg Lifts and Kicks
Running
Sit-ups
Cool-Down

ChargerGirl

Forum Crew Member
Monday + Wednesday
stretch 20-30 minutes
20 minutes of cardio
ab exercises: cherry pickers,superman lifts, leg circles etc
2-7lb arm weights usually soup cans if i cant find where i placed them.
walk dogs for 2 hours or crash a weight class at my school or ride my bike at low tide on the beach
Tuesday:
same stretch routine just less intense abs. i like stretching outside in the sun.
dog walks
Thursday + Friday: Intense ab exercises and cardio because i generally go out on thursday nights and party hard
Saturday: workout class. god i have to stop coming hungover to it to make the most out of it.
Sunday:Gardening and cleaning is a workout i suppose
I also find jumping on the guest bed to tease my dogs is a good workout. i really want a trampoline! oh and going to the convention center to run the stairs is great instead of doing boring lunges.:ph34r:

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
48 hours is plenty of time if your doing a good full body workout. Ill do a 5 exercise compound lift full body workout with deads or squats until I puke then ill be perfectly fine in 48 hours ready for another one.
What's "fine"? You no longer have DOMS?

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
No it's not too much training. The whole work out is done in about 30 minutes. I do light and fast, not trying to build muscle just get tone. I'm a female, don't want bulging muscles.

If it is getting you the results you want AND you're remaining injury free both on and off the job don't change a thing. I would however consider rethinking your position on 'bulging muscles'. You don't have the chemistry to get diesel, but the quest to get 'toned' requires the laying down of new muscle tissue. The resistance has to increase as you get more proficient at whatever it is you are doing so that the work will continue to payoff. Once your system can comfortably do what ever it is you do, the adaptations cease and your body then tries to get the work done with less resources ---> you're actually working less than when you started. Otherwise go get 'em tiger and do take s@#^t from any body;)

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
What's "fine"? You no longer have DOMS?

Don't be so quick to judge, I train full-body every session, sometimes multiple sessions a day, without complaint problem or injury. More often than not its how you do things more so than what you do.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If you check out www.firegroundfitness.com and www.rosstraining.com, I pretty much train like that. I also have an olympic weightlifting background, and I'm lucky to have a gym, flipping tire, sledge, sleds, etc. at my firehouse. I trained like this way before I went to the fire side. I never had a problem carrying horizontally challenged patients down numerous flights on a stair chair. At the very least, one should do front loaded exercises such as front squats, deads or cleans, renegade rows, hanging knees to elbows, and prone/side planks, with a quick anerobic energy system finisher.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Day 1: curls 1handed sitting and standing 3 sets of each, curls 2 handed standing 3 sets, rope pull 2 sets, seated row 5 sets, cable pull down 4 sets (in front of head and behind 2 of each), situps w/ 45 pound plate on decline bench 3 sets

Day 2: regular bench 3 sets, incline bench 3 sets, decline bench 3 sets, pectoral flys 3 sets, skull crushers 3 sets, situps 3 sets (no plate)

Day 3 run 3miles, flutter kicks, v ups 4 sets.

Day 4 run 5 miles

Day 5 rest

Day 6 leg press 4 sets, squats 4 sets, cleans 2 sets, sit ups w/ 45 pound plate

Day 7 run 3 miles, flutter kicks, v ups 4 sets

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
weights are over rated. I think they are useful but should never be the core behind a workout routine. Bodyweight and rubberband exercises are a better core for several reasons. Weights make the joints stiff and injuries are far more common. With natural body weight exercises the body builds strong "functional" muscle that is less bulky and much more usefull. Rubberbands work the muscle more completely where weights have, what I call "pressure points", where all the load is focused usually on a joint istead of the overall muscle. Now before all the flaming starts I am not saying weight training is all useless I think it can be useful in moderation, but I say again that they should not be the core in any workout routine.

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
Don't be so quick to judge, I train full-body every session, sometimes multiple sessions a day, without complaint problem or injury. More often than not its how you do things more so than what you do.

very true. This guy knows what he/she is talking about. I have been a personal trainer (not lately) for several years. I mostly trained women and new people what wanted to compete in combat sports, and I can tell you I used a similar mentality for my clients.

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I am a weightlifter and if you wish to give it a try, here is my routine:

Day 1..... chest
Day 2..... back
Day 3..... shoulders
Day 4..... arms
Day 5..... legs
Day 6..... repeat day one

your only day off is when you cant make it to the gym for whatever reason
Average going six times a week... sometimes seven.
You dont need rest IMHO because its five days of rest for every major muscle group.

Lift 95% intensity (you can only rep 8 times) for four sets for two weeks
Lift 75% intensity (you can rep 12-15 times) for four sets for two weeks

Drink milk like its going out of style... eat healthy and eat alot!
Take an afterload drink such as myogenix aftershock right after your workout.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIL_M0

Forum Probie
M-W-F (strength and endurance)

• Chest, Triceps, abs
  • Back, Biceps abs
  • Legs abs
T-R-S (cardio)

• P90-X: Cardio X
  • SLD (slow long distance) run
  • quick mile

UsualSuspect147

Forum Probie
weights are over rated. I think they are useful but should never be the core behind a workout routine. Bodyweight and rubberband exercises are a better core for several reasons. Weights make the joints stiff and injuries are far more common. With natural body weight exercises the body builds strong "functional" muscle that is less bulky and much more usefull. Rubberbands work the muscle more completely where weights have, what I call "pressure points", where all the load is focused usually on a joint istead of the overall muscle. Now before all the flaming starts I am not saying weight training is all useless I think it can be useful in moderation, but I say again that they should not be the core in any workout routine.

I totally agree, especially for real-world application like the OP is asking for. I work out 4 times a week and run 3 times a week, using a combination of band exercises and strength training (pull ups, chair push ups, dips, etc.). Couldn't be happier with my progress.

Also, Whey protein is a great low-cost thing to invest in for after workouts. Only about 30 dollars for a 70 day supply.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
http://www.rosstraining.com/
http://www.firegroundfitness.blogspot.com/

For real world application. Both sites blend bodyweight training(calisthenics, gymnastics) with weight training to address power, limit strength, and all energy systems alike. These sites are basically how I train, and I've had no problems with EMS, the fireground, jiujitsu, surfing, or anything life has thrown at me.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
I try to run 5 days a week, it isn't always possible though.

After the run, I'll do some bent-over row with reverse grip, deadlift with reverse grip, and up right rows. On work days, of course. They have a purpose, they are similar to how we move patients and lift gurneys.

Days off, I'll do bench, military press, squats, and powercleans.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I try to run 5 days a week, it isn't always possible though.

After the run, I'll do some bent-over row with reverse grip, deadlift with reverse grip, and up right rows. On work days, of course. They have a purpose, they are similar to how we move patients and lift gurneys.

Days off, I'll do bench, military press, squats, and powercleans.

You would probably like Mark Rippletoe's Starting Strength program for your days off.

http://strengthmill.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Delando

Forum Probie
3 day Routine: Always followed by 30min in steam room.

Day 1: 20min Cardio, jog or swim
Dumbell press: 4set (1min Rest btw sets)
Lat Pulldown:4 set
Bicept cure: 4 set
Tricept extend: 4set
Military press: 4set

Day2: 60 min Cardio, jog or swim
Crunches on excise ball: 3 set normal, 1 set oblique (30sec btw sets)
Leg press: 3set (1min btw sets)
Hip aduct/reduct: 4 set each.
I got messed up kness, so i dont do leg extend/pull back types.

Day3: 20 min Cardio jog/ swim
60 min Martial Arts w/ streches+ kick practice beforehand.

On a protein heavy diet.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I run on the weekends.

Weekdays I do

4X crunches with an exercise ball

2X push-ups, negative pull-ups, bench pull-ups or lat pulldowns, bench press, bicep curls, and tricep extensions

and

2X squats, leg curls, calf raises, leg extensions, and clean-and-presses

Hopefully one day I'll be able to do a real pull-up.