• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We have ferno airway bags and pelican cases for our drug boxes. We also have two duplicate trauma bags and a pediatric bag on every truck. Not sure if the brand on those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Oh yeah, we have 3 total Pelican cases in the ambulance. Our regular kit, Handtevy/peds kit, and a drug box.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Our BLS bag includes a D-tank, and I can't stand it. I'd rather have an O2/AED kit, and a separate trauma kit...

Not that I shouldn't be bringing O2 on every call, but, you know - two people on a BLS rig, two bags...makes sense, right?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Our BLS bag includes a D-tank, and I can't stand it. I'd rather have an O2/AED kit, and a separate trauma kit...

Not that I shouldn't be bringing O2 on every call, but, you know - two people on a BLS rig, two bags...makes sense, right?
Eh counting our monitor, we have three things to carry in (drug bag, airway/trauma, and monitor) and we still only have two people. It's not completely the end of the world lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@TransportJockey Absolutely, I just don't love being the only person carrying something when it could easily be split up - lucky for me, I don't have to schlep a monitor (usually) ;)

OP
OP
C

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
Oh yeah, we have 3 total Pelican cases in the ambulance. Our regular kit, Handtevy/peds kit, and a drug box.

Pelican cases?!? Ugh... I can only imagine how uncomfortable those must be to carry. Even with shoulder straps, I wouldn't want the hard plastic digging into my ribs. Is your service concerned about the equipment being crushed somehow? Or do they just want waterproofing?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Pelican cases are the standard ALS box in Washington state. Everywhere I worked or did paramedic clinicals used them. I liked them right up until they fell off the bench seat and spilled everywhere.

Now I'm much happier with my StatPack.

And by the way, you don't carry it with a shoulder strap. It's like a suitcase. Pelican in one hand, monitor in the other.

NomadicMedic

This is a pretty interesting thread. I'm curious if anyone's found a really good backpack for a Composite D tank and ALS gear. I need one for events at a stadium.

Last edited:

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This is a pretty interesting thread. I'm curious if anyone's found a really good backpack for a Composite D tank and ALS gear. I need one for events at a stadium.
We use the same 5.11 back at my FD as we do at my ALS job. FD has a steel D cylinder in it. Its heavy but manageable. I imagine it would be perfect with a composite or Aluminum cyclinder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'd imagine the 5.11 ALS bag may fit your needs. It has an option to secure the O2 tank inside the main compartment. I have only use their bags as a work bag and a range bag.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_0235.JPG

Or you could carry one of these tackle boxes like LACoFD*. I want to say one of their squads was testing out the Pelican, but this was well over a decade ago.

*theirs is only 1-2 tiers as they only have/ need a handful of meds anyhow, even til this day. I doubt they'd have any use for the Pelicans extra drug pouches, but perhaps they put BLS stuff in it; OCFA does/ did use Pelicans.

NomadicMedic

This was
8A6FB872-C56A-420F-A396-1E78AFCE6768.JPG
the Washington ALS set up. Almost everybody was doing something like this when I left. Looks like it was in 2011, based on the med expiry.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd imagine the 5.11 ALS bag may fit your needs. It has an option to secure the O2 tank inside the main compartment. I have only use their bags as a work bag and a range bag.
After a quick google search this appears to be the bag we use.
We use the same 5.11 back at my FD as we do at my ALS job. FD has a steel D cylinder in it. Its heavy but manageable. I imagine it would be perfect with a composite or Aluminum cyclinder.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Another option is the Conterra ALS bag for a backpack style that holds an O2 bottle.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Conterra ALS Extreme. Not cheap (especially with all the modules), but worth it IMO. We have them as backcountry bags and they are as nice as any backpacking backpack I am familiar with. The Responder and Airway Pros are big enough and can be worn as backpacks, but are not good for long distances.

My n=1 experience with 5.11 bags was not great, all the hardware failed at one point or another.

The Meret backpacks are decent, fire here uses them and they definitely hold up to wear.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This was View attachment 3578 the Washington ALS set up. Almost everybody was doing something like this when I left. Looks like it was in 2011, based on the med expiry.

That's nearly identical to our med box.

I absolutely loathe that thing.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That's nearly identical to our med box.

I absolutely loathe that thing.

Gotta be better than those damn 747s. I used them at AMR in NM before we went to statpack setups

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Gotta be better than those damn 747s. I used them at AMR in NM before we went to statpack setups

Honestly they're a pain in the butt. They're heavy, bulky and in some of our units there isn't enough room to put them in the exterior cabinet during transport so then it's sliding around the box unsecured.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
@TransportJockey Absolutely, I just don't love being the only person carrying something when it could easily be split up - lucky for me, I don't have to schlep a monitor (usually) ;)
driver has the bag cause they do the assessment, passenger who is teching has the toughbook cause they are doing the chart?

If you really feel the toughbook is not enough, ill grab the stairchair on most calls

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@Bullets
You got a toughbook? Fancy ;)