What do you look for in boots?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Hey guys! So I recently got accepted into an EMT program here in Hawai'i. We had a meeting talking about the program and talking about uniforms and all that, so I came here to do research on boots. My professor recommends 511, I noticed other people have other preferences, I also saw like these Nike SFB's but I wasn't sure if those are allowed. Any suggestions for this EMT student? Haha.

When in doubt, black polishable, steel toe.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I have Haix. It took a few times because I'm anywhere between 6-7.5 depending on the company.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So, my low-cut side zip boots were inappropriately disposed of from my job, so I'm in the market for new boots.

My current budget is $200, and my primary requirements are easy on and off, comfortable, and able to last for a few years of part time shifts. These will be my station boots and ems assignment boots; anything heavy-duty (technical rescues, MVAs, etc) will involve turnout gear.

I still have my stormtrooper haix boots, but I can't justify to myself wearing them in the county, especially when it's much slower than my city shifts

I'm currently looking at the EASY ESCAPE (STEEL TOE) (based on recommendations here)

but they are from Australia, so I don't know if there are any special import fees.

anyone have any other recommentations?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You should be able to find Redbacks for less than 200, and those would be my pick. Just make sure you read the sizing instructions (I think, can’t remember 💯) that you order a size down than your usual. I also find them to run big for their size.

Our (internal) uniform store carries them for 170. A little google seems to show you can do better.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You should be able to find Redbacks for less than 200, and those would be my pick. Just make sure you read the sizing instructions (I think, can’t remember 💯) that you order a size down than your usual. I also find them to run big for their size.

Our (internal) uniform store carries them for 170. A little google seems to show you can do better.

Redbacks are great station boots but provide ZERO ankle support. Not a great boot unless you're doing nothing but walking on totally flat surfaces with no terrain issues. I loved mine until I almost broke my ankle while wearing them on a motor vehicle accident and extricating a patient from a car that was down an embankment. I immediately went back to my trusty 5.11 ATAC and now wear Haix Airpower XR2s.

Good boots make all the difference.

CharlotteGriffin

Forum Probie
Carhartt has honestly been a great brand for both footwear and tech pants. They mostly have colors that work and even good sizing for women!

DrParasite

I loved mine until I almost broke my ankle while wearing them on a motor vehicle accident and extricating a patient from a car that was down an embankment. I immediately went back to my trusty 5.11 ATAC and now wear Haix Airpower XR2s.
I'll be honest, if I'm operating on an MVA, I'm likely to be in full turnout gear with Warrington pro leather firefighter boots (as I mentioned up above). If I do Tech rescue stuff that doesn't require FF gear, I might grab my haix storm trooper boots (which are probably the same ones you have)

If I can get some redbacks for under 200, awesome. there aren't any local suppliers by me, but if I can order online and get them with free shipping, it would be worth it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Redbacks are great station boots but provide ZERO ankle support. Not a great boot unless you're doing nothing but walking on totally flat surfaces with no terrain issues. I loved mine until I almost broke my ankle while wearing them on a motor vehicle accident and extricating a patient from a car that was down an embankment. I immediately went back to my trusty 5.11 ATAC and now wear Haix Airpower XR2s.

Good boots make all the difference.
I do not wear them on anything outside of “regular” EMS calls and going to the store. When I work in the mountains I don’t even bring them to work. They’re also pretty average in snow, but can’t beat em in the summer.

The Possum

Forum Crew Member
For the last 20 years I have worn the Reebok tactical boots. They're like sneakers. I recommend them strongly. They're usually around $110 a pair. They only last usually about a little over a year but they're worth it. Those other boots hurt my feet.

DrParasite

If I can get some redbacks for under 200, awesome. there aren't any local suppliers by me, but if I can order online and get them with free shipping, it would be worth it.
I was looking for redbacks, but the price was higher than I wanted to spend... however, they do have a line called blue tounges, which are cheaper by about $70

still no ankle support, but decent for station boots and "routine" EMS calls

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was looking for redbacks, but the price was higher than I wanted to spend... however, they do have a line called blue tounges, which are cheaper by about $70

still no ankle support, but decent for station boots and "routine" EMS calls
I had blue tongues, they lasted for years. The redbacks have nicer soles though.