What do you look for in a partner?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
We all have had horrible partners. there are numerous threads on emtlife about horror stories.

So on a positive note, what are things you look for in a partner? Or more accurately, what characteristics or attributes make someone a good partner for you?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
knowledge of quality eateries...
ability to know when to not talk

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Intelligent, physically fit, medium height, blonde hair, tattoos are a plus... Wait, what are we describing again? :unsure:

medic417

The Truth Provider
No BO. No tats. Well groomed. Educated enough to be able to properly field educate.

Anjel

Forum Angel
e5azy5ad.jpg

Lol

I want someone who has my back. Who I feel safe with on scene.

I prefer to work with male partners.

And they have to know what they are doing, where we are going, and how to make 12hrs sitting in a truck not uncomfortable.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Smart, funny, and laid back are my main ones. I don't care if they are skinny or over weight, as long as they can lift the required weight.

We have maybe 10 female medics and around 8 female EMTs. So the likelihood of getting a female partner are slim. I honestly don't care if they are female as long as they don't act prissy or say "lifting is a mans job".

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Someone who can speak proper English is a good start. Quite the rarity in NYC.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Mostly prefer a female partner as it helps with female patients and i tend to get along with them better.

Another bonus now is one that speaks Spanish.

I'm easygoing and can get along with most people.. At least for 12 hours.

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
No fatties.

Must have a sense of humor.

That's about the opposite of city medics.

Someone who doesn't care about gossip and talks like a buddy not just your coworker and keeps it between us not spread it around like a drama mama.

A partner who is modest and has your back not trying to stab it at every turn.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
First and only requirement is that my partner be a safe driver. Everything else can be mitigated, taught, or dealt with.

Joe

Forum Captain
I love working with females. Ive only had one male partner and he is a good partner and we are basically best friends but i had so much fun with my girl partners. Also they must be a hottie. We both gotta get on scene lookin good. As true as all that is... i can pretty much work with anyone :)

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I love working with females. Ive only had one male partner and he is a good partner and we are basically best friends but i had so much fun with my girl partners. Also they must be a hottie. We both gotta get on scene lookin good. As true as all that is... i can pretty much work with anyone :)

Since you are not the only one to have mentioned "hottie" female partners I would like to add that having such a partner changes the on scene dynamic (for the better) when dealing with "troublesome" fire departments. This works especially well on cranky captains.

It's amazing what happens when an attractive woman touches the arm of a cranky fire fighter. I have seen the same effect with cranky medics on the "bus." :rofl:

SSwain

Forum Captain
One who likes to cuddle in the quarters....:)
j/k

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I think I have to go with safe driver as my number one thing. After that, someone who leaves their ego at home and who is safety conscious.

And a personality that clicks with mine, while not necessary, makes the job much more enjoyable and is therefor a huge plus.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I like a partner who drives safely and listens to me. :)

And there are people who've told me I'm a hottie (lol), so I'd make a great partner for most of you.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Safe driver, likes to eat, caffeine addict like me, clinically competent.

My favorite partners are those who are well educated beyond their EMS education.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Safe driver, knows his/her business (EMS); gets along with with people; and willing to learn and try new stuff.