What do you carry? - The mega thread

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I was thinking about working for them after school, but now I wonder. I don't want a checklist before I can drive-off or crank-up.

It's not like this is cheap stuff...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I was thinking about working for them after school, but now I wonder. I don't want a checklist before I can drive-off or crank-up.
it really isn't that bad... it becomes second nature. Turn the ignition key, hit the fob, and you are good to go. When you go to back up, after engaging reverse, your spotter (partner) presses the button on the inside/outside.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
For jail nursing (I do the man-downs etc)...

I wear scrubs over a five year old TOTES mini waist-pack with compartments sewn on/in for cell phone (three pairs of gloves in there), velcro change pouch (keys), single-zippered 3X3 pouch behind it (1-LED minilight, keys if they need to be SECURED), 4X4 double-zippered pouch (money, personal stuff), two other "hidden" pouches I stuff with gloves if it's gonna be a bad one, and a small pouch I keep a nine-LED, three-AA battery shorty light strapped into. I keep two cells phones (personal and Sheriff's) clipped or strapped onto the other side. Then I flip my shirt tails over it.

The real stuff goes into the nine year old camera bag I use for a jump kit. Camera bags are good because you can get them on sale, in various colors, they are padded, the compartments can be shifted in the better ones, they are built not to let stuff fall out, and are generally cheaper than their EMS counterparts because there's no patient care product liability for them if I use it against their instructions.

When I was an EMT: one holster with Eveready "Captain's" penlight, Tetrasnips, period. (That was before Univesal Precautions). Oh, yes, leeches and evil spirit sticks too.

When I was in the field with the Guard: not on belt, BDU's had pockets with Swiss army knife and small brand name Visegrips with wire cutters, and I carried my Estwing geologist's pick. Medical supplies in my jump bag, and I've not been able to find that model bag ever since; NATO rucksack works pretty well and Indian heavy duty knockoffs are under $30 online.

Had enough? Have ya? Huh?;)

Medic9

Forum Lieutenant
I guess I am a light weight or wacker depending on who you ask. I have my pager and cell phone on my belt. In my right cargo pocket I have my protocol book, a small notebook and an EMS field guide (for spelling when I get those brain farts) in the outside pocket, trauma shears and two pens.

IrishMedic

Forum Crew Member
ok well, on my belt i just carry Maglite, 4D Maglite Holder, Rescue tool/Knife, Leather radio holster.

in my BDUs' I carry Shears and a Hemostat, Penlight, Pen, ALS fieldguide, lil notepad for vitals etc...thats is my right leg, on my left leg, just gloves and band aids....

My stet is on the dash board or the jump kit or round my neck when on scene...

When im on the Mountain Bike for Special events i have a heavier duty belt that i carry an adult n ped pocket mask; Finger Pulse Ox Monitor...

and i have my newbie for everything else...ha ha you name it he'll have it...My partner actually pulled out a SAM Pelvis Splint one day!!!!! from his personal bag!!!!! fair play to him...

I also carry like a small back pack when on duty that has some reference material, an Emergency Multilingual Phrasebook and some other misc stuff....drinks snacks etc....Ipod and fm transmitter for it!!!! very important for those long transfers

Last edited by a moderator:

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
This is what i have when Im wearing my ems trousers at work
In the usual pockets:
car keys
cell phone
pocket knife/multitool
wallet
handkerchief

in the bellows pocket:
a mini notebook and pen for vitals
EMS Shears

In the glove pouch (sewn into the pants)
2 pair nitrile gloves

I also carry my radio (kenwood) and a mini mag on my belt
(normal belt, not a duty belt)

I dont see the need for alot of crapola, i carry what i need nothing else

EMTSteve

Forum Crew Member
- Personal Cell
- Company Pager
- Company Radio
- Company ID Badge
- Mini Maglight
- Trama scissors

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I just bought a new belt for my ems uniform its black and leather and all i will carry on it will be my pager. Although i do wear a duty belt i war that one at my full time job where I am responsible for security.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
You guys like to load down with too much stuff.

Wallet. Truck Keys, Cell, Radio. Thats it!!!

Dont carry shears, theyre on the truck, and in the jump bag. Either way they're already by me. Hemos and all that other stuff.... in the bag. If I need to have it, I let them buy it.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Ditto.............

I keep it simple. Nothing on the belt, except my radio. Even that is usually on my vest. All I carry on me is my wallet with passport, my ID badges, and my keys. No pagers, no cell phone (not allowed anyways), No EMS guide (should know the info anyways, besides its not like I have time to read it if I need it!), no flashlight (got one on my helmet). Shears are on my vest, hemostats do me no good unless they are sterile (i've never really understood those who carry 3 pairs in their pants pockets?!?), and everything else I need is in my pack. So outside of the rare occasion of having to get all "geared up", I keep it pretty light and low key.....................................

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
On my belt: Leatherman and depending on when and where I am during the night radio and/or pager, gloves tucked into a belt loop when out of the truck on a call, o2 wrench hanging from a caribiner, cell phone

Pockets:
Slash pockets - change and unit key
Left cargo - wallet
right cargo - steth
right cargo tools - shears, 2 pens, penlight, knife, maglite, tape

"Doc" Fox

Forum Probie
Uncle Mikes Pro-3 Nylon duty belt
Company issued Nextel
CPR Barrier mask in nylon pouch
2prs. of non-latex gloves in nylon pouch
Personal Nextel
Sure Fire 6P in nylon pouch
Gerber Mutli-tool in nylon pouch
Key clip

I like nylon duty gear, it's easier to clean, and does not absorb fluids, like leather duty gear does.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I carry nothing.

reaper

Working Bum
I am still trying to figure out why field providers are carrying a face mask?

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I am still trying to figure out why field providers are carrying a face mask?

Like a Jason or Freddy mask? Easy... cause it scares the crap out of the psych patients! :p j/k

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I have one of those stethoscope holders that clip onto my belt (in the hospital). On the rig... nothing.

"Doc" Fox

Forum Probie
I've always carried one since I was 14, and in the Boy Scouts, that's when I had my first CPR cert.