What do you carry? - The mega thread

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Duty uniform: pager, knife.

I often wear my bunker pants on many calls (depending on the weather too). It only has two rear pockets. I have extra gloves and a pen in there. And I just did this tonight, on the suspenders, I put a glove holder (black Velcro thing) and going to carry non-latex gloves in it. The rigs have nonlatex but not as easy to get to (in a cabinet). I figured if on scene and the pt is allergic, I can switch quickly.

you guys still carry latex? they have been removed from all the trucks in my area. i must say i miss latex gloves though. nothing fits like latex

mikie

Forum Lurker
you guys still carry latex? they have been removed from all the trucks in my area. i must say i miss latex gloves though. nothing fits like latex

Ya, I am a fan of the nitrle myself, but we're told not to use them unless the pt. has suspeced allergy to latex. Everything else in the truck is latex-free.

I think the dept's biggest reason is cost of gloves

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Maglight flashlight holder
Minimaglight in holster
Pager
Winchester Multitool in holster
Keys
Glove pouch

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Probably not appropriate but I figured I would add.
Gun(Glock Model 22)(Drop Leg Holster)
2 15 Rnd Magazines
Weak Sided weapon retention knife
Tazer (2 spare cartridges)
2 pairs of cuffs
26 In Expandable Manadanock Autolock Baton
Mk 4 OC Spray
Radio (Mic and ear piece)
cell Phone (blue tooth)
Stinger LED
4D cell Maglite
Right Cargo pocket wallet, Keys, Rescue knife ( seatbelt knife with a spring loaded window punch)
Left cargo pocket Gloves both kevlar lined search and nitrle for the bleeders, FI cards, extra set of cuffs
Shirt pocket.. Digital voice recorder (CYA), Cuff key, Some form of mint( for after the pit stop at the local Thai Joint)
My duty rig weights about 20-30lbs

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
On the belt, pager, portable radio, cell phone, glove pouch, knife, minimaglight in holster.

In cargo pockets, leather gloves, shears, hemostat (leftover from the old days when the ALS hung a KVO bag for every patient. You could clip the bag to your shirt so it keeps flowing), extra pen.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Probably not appropriate but I figured I would add.
Gun(Glock Model 22)(Drop Leg Holster)
2 15 Rnd Magazines
Weak Sided weapon retention knife
Tazer (2 spare cartridges)
2 pairs of cuffs
26 In Expandable Manadanock Autolock Baton
Mk 4 OC Spray
Radio (Mic and ear piece)
cell Phone (blue tooth)
Stinger LED
4D cell Maglite
Right Cargo pocket wallet, Keys, Rescue knife ( seatbelt knife with a spring loaded window punch)
Left cargo pocket Gloves both kevlar lined search and nitrle for the bleeders, FI cards, extra set of cuffs
Shirt pocket.. Digital voice recorder (CYA), Cuff key, Some form of mint( for after the pit stop at the local Thai Joint)
My duty rig weights about 20-30lbs

How many blue lights do you have on your car though?! :p

-how do you carry all of that and not throw out your back or get stabbed in the back by it?

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
-how do you carry all of that and not throw out your back or get stabbed in the back by it? Mikie333

Well sir it is a talent learned back in the days of ok I am full of it. basically you move every thing forward........ unfortunate if you have a protruding mid section... You never want anything behind your hips.... Ofc safety...... If you were to fall, be pushed, or for what ever reason land on you back with something back there well I am sure I don't need to tell you folk the damage that could incur. Paralysis at worst. Plus when you sit in the patrol car its not comfortable to feel a baton or flashlight digging into your bumm or back. To answer your question.... I have a bad back and well I do alot of sitting while wearing my belt..
OH and LOTS of blue lights sir lots of blue lights

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
Since a lot of people have been putting more than their belt..

Okay, here's officially everything that I carry with me on my usual day at my usual vollie/paid place.

Upper-

White Class B shirt with some company undershirt
Silver collar brass.
ID card that contains my EMT card, BBP card, CPR card, & HazMat index.
Shield with bars.
Pen
Penlight in holder.
Some EMS pin.
Pockets include cigarettes/lighter, multi-tool, Tide-To-Go, Band-Aids, Field Guide, Gum, notepads.

Lower-

Straight Legged Pants.
"Red (bio-hazard) bag" in back pocket.
Wallet.
Bunch of pens in pockets.
Pocket Knife
Duty boots

Regular belt+Duty belt.

Duty Belt includes four belt keepers, two glove holders with three gloves each, Shears, Cell Phone, Keys, EDP gloves, Radio with speaker mic

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
A Radio and nothing else. I leave the utility belt to Batman.

Batman isn't usually on scene, that's why I like to bring along my own personal, fully stocked new-guy! They not only have every gadget known to man, but they can also help lift patients!

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
I really want to see a post on this thread by that guy who drives his own ambulance and admits to being 'a bit of a whacker'

Yeah im here, i will admit to what i carry.
iPhone (cell, pda, music, web, email, this site..)
Pager
Leatherman, Always at the ready, but in a secured holster.
Glove pouch. Nitrile. I am latex sens.
Shears
Wallet
Badge (required, Fugly)
Misc personal stuff (gum, ect)
Radio
3 Ink Pens, 3 colors. black blue red.
Penlight
littman.
Keys
Flip guide.
More Gloves. (never can find ones that fit on the rig)
4x4's
tape, 2 rolls.
Ham radio if I am on standby. (passes the time, SO is a ham as well)
misc bandaids
O2 Key/ mini regulator.
hand sanitizer.
small notebook, Doodles, Refrences ect.
Other stuff gets shoved in as needed.
If its a bad night, Maglight, 4D 3w LED
Glucose Gel.
Thats all i can think of. I went for things that have more than one use, rather than lots of extra things.

If i have a bad area to work in that night, the following is added
BPV,
stun pen,
and my usual RUN LIKE HELL card
(got mugged on shift once.)

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
lt. shirt pocket.. money and debit card, pen in the pen slot

cell phone on belt

lip gloss in right pant pocket, 2 pairs of gloves in left pant pocket

shears, pen light and sharpie on right leg pocket

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
Because its for me, And i dont like the flavor we carry on the rig.

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
we carry some nasty pina colada stuff. I buy a strawberry flavor from CVS.

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
So since it's for you, and if you don't mind my asking, do you need it often on the job?

not too often. I tend to have it as a just in case. We get some screwed up runs that take forever. I have had to use it twice. Usually when we get a day when we can barely get to a gas station. Its a one of THOSE days type item.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
Lets see
*looks at waist*
Flashligh in holster, radio clip, keychain clip, cellhone clip and medication holder for ampules.

Thats it.

MDKEMT:D